help with relays?

help with relays?

Postby 85HiluxSR5 on Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:30 pm

just wondering which relay in the box is responsible for my park and headlights and which is the standard relay point for the fog lights... ive had a look in the engine bay and on the diagram their is more points than what is in my fuse/relay box

thanks in advance...
85HiluxSR5

Re: help with relays?

Postby amalinze on Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:10 am

easiest way to find out is to open the relay box and get someone to turn the lights on and off. listed and feel for the one that turns on and off. If that fails, pm me and i'll whip out the multimeter and decide from there.
METHANOL INJECTION ROCKS!
amalinze

Postby 85HiluxSR5 on Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:54 am

amalinze wrote:easiest way to find out is to open the relay box and get someone to turn the lights on and off. listed and feel for the one that turns on and off. If that fails, pm me and i'll whip out the multimeter and decide from there.

thanks heaps, appreciate your offer

im going to buy the glxr stalk in the next week or so so i have the switch for the fog lights then i wil give it a go and let you know..
85HiluxSR5

Postby ag9111 on Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:32 pm

There is no relay in the fusebox for the foglights on a VR. Some of the sockets are there for the relay terminals but not all. From memory i think the control cabling is missing. All the plugs to the foglights are there, on mine anyway. I had to pull the fusebox apart to install some cabling and run the control wires through to the cabin, which i had to do for the spot lights anyway.
Pulling apart the fusebox is a big job and i wouldn't recommend doing it yourself if your not a sparky.
Relay goes into Socket A. Fuse into socket 17
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 85HiluxSR5 on Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:34 pm

ag9111 wrote:There is no relay in the fusebox for the foglights on a VR. Some of the sockets are there for the relay terminals but not all. From memory i think the control cabling is missing. All the plugs to the foglights are there, on mine anyway. I had to pull the fusebox apart to install some cabling and run the control wires through to the cabin, which i had to do for the spot lights anyway.
Pulling apart the fusebox is a big job and i wouldn't recommend doing it yourself if your not a sparky.
Relay goes into Socket A. Fuse into socket 17

thanks, just to clarify do you think im in the same boat as you were?
my vr came with the factory foglight loom, just no lights, no switch, no relay or fuse, i hope im not wrong but if my memory serves me right i read its virtually a plug n play as my loom is from factory, after i install relay and fuse and after the glxr stalk is installed it should all work.

i hope im right otherwise im sure to have pissed more $$$ away
85HiluxSR5

Postby ag9111 on Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:12 pm

I think we are in the same boat. Its wasnt plug and play for me as the control wiring from the stalk to the relay didn't exist. i had to put it in. I picked up the active from the parking lights, then through the relay to a switch in the cabin. Just used a cheap switch on the dash and run a cable to earth. Called negative switching. This has the advantage that the fog light dash light comes on with the fog lights. If you do all the hard work and run a cable. a auto sparky should sort it for you in an hour or so. Ireally only had a quick look for the factory loom but gave up as i wasn't going to get a GLX-R stalk. The sockets wern't in the fusebox for the control wiring so i used red quick connect auto lugs and jammed them in there.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Electrical