Single battery system

Single battery system

Postby spinner on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:35 pm

I was wondering if it is possible just to run a bigger battery instead of running a dual battery system. I would like to keep the space behind the battery free to put an ARB compressor in the future. I currently run a uhf, 100w spotlights and have a 12v socket put in the rear tray. I also have a cheap fridge that I plug into the rear 12v plug but only have it plugged in whilst driving to a camping location then I run it on gas. Should I be looking for a battery with bigger amp/h. I am not all that electricaly minded so any help would be great. 8-)
Thats going to hurt
spinner

Re: Single battery system

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:44 pm

Your alternator/battery will handle that without even blinking. When you need to change the battery you can consider going up a size or two or as big as you can fit. I only run a single battery because the space behind is taken up by the cruise control and have never had a problem although, like you, I don't run a fridge except when the engine is running.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby daryn on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:45 pm

Try this:

http://www.arkcorporation.com/images/pd ... ue_web.pdf

Page 20, not sure how it would be for the spot, but for a 50L waeco it could power it for 6 days easy.

Also in Issue 135 4wd Action Page 201
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Greedy on Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:41 am

You should have no trouble running a larger battery in the same spot. You will need to obtain a battery tray though. The plastic one mitsi's supplied won't hold anything larger. Some guys here fit 2 batteries there by moving the cranker forward towards the power steering. If you do this, it will give you more room for the compressor behind your single battery.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Electrical