Ark Power Pack

Re: Ark Power Pack

Postby Greg Cairns on Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:03 am

I have seen the ARKPAK on BCF for sale, the black ones and they sell the 12 volt connection separately for $100. So I do not think it comes supplied with the unit. I am looking into one of these for my self as the whole portable side of things appeals to me and the fact that when you are not using it can sit there and maintain your battery is a good idea IMO.

But I am going to run a 12 volt outlet to my tub but also want to know do I need an isolator or something similar? I was thinking about just running some wires from the 12 volt adapter in the cab to the back so it will provide power when I have the ignition on or the engine is running.

Any opinions appreciated..
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"If you desire peace prepare for war"
Greg Cairns

Postby Quinny on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:32 am

myself62 wrote:tried again, this is the biggest this forum will allow me to upload from my computer :|

Have a read through here ... see if that helps

Q
Never argue with an idiot ... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:00 am

Umm quinny was there supposed to be a link there mate?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Quinny on Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:15 am

Never argue with an idiot ... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fridgie on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:10 pm

myself62 wrote:tried again, this is the biggest this forum will allow me to upload from my computer :|

If you use a hosting sites such as photo bucket you can upload any size image you like, uploading direct to the forum has specific limits.
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby myself62 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:32 pm

Hey Quinny, since I copied your setup I might as well ask you :D
When the ctek is powered and regulating the aux battery is the device in the powerpak lid bypassed?
I am worried that they might interfere with each other. Today finished my wiring to the main battery and will probably test it when my fridgemate fridge arrived early next week. Just want to make sure it's all set up right before I test it.
Bruno.
myself62

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:37 pm

You'd want to bypass it I would have thought. Assuming you mean the built in charger. Query what you do with the ctek if you are wanting to attach the plugpack 240v charger. I guess if you could disconnect it some way that would be the easiest.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby hvac guy on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:47 pm

The built in charger should have a diode built in to stop back feeding into the charger
Check the instructions it might say.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tradieb on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:45 pm

My anderson plug turned up today. A quick sprint to bunnings for a few things and its all connected. Now I need a isolater to charge the pack. Looking at the ABR-sidewinder off eBay.. $160 and comes with a monitor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Its nice to be important, BUT its important to be nice..
tradieb

Postby jab461 on Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:25 pm

Anybody seen or used the new Ark Battery Management system?....Without the box.
Thoughts?
jab461

Postby Maxiy on Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:35 pm

HI ALL

Dragging this thread back from the depths.

I currently have the dilemma of choosing whether to go for a duel battery system, or a ARKPAK/ENGEL box.

What are peoples experiences with the ARKPAKs/ENGEL boxes?
all the reviews i have read online are split 50-50, some people love them and some people hate them.

so thought i would ask the brains trust here.

Any feedback would be great

Cheers in advance.
Maxiy

Postby rokster on Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:08 pm

Hi maxiy,

I think it's pretty much a horses for courses thing.. I love mine.. it sits in the tub, powers the fridge etc and gets charged as we drive. Get to the camp and I hook it up to the solar panels and it continues to do its job... In hindsight.. there's very little of the Arkpak that I actually use.. would be lots cheaper to just buy the black plastic boxes ( or build a box yourself from plywood ).

To accommodate all the options, I'm running a CTek DC-DC charger, and a host of aftermarket plugs that I've screwed to the sides.
rokster
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Joel on Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:59 pm

I picked up the baintech power top and i have been very happy with it . Its similar to the arkpak but with built in 110 amp hour gelcell. Cost was around $650. Has 2 power inputs for solar and 12volt, 2 ciga outlets, engle outlet and one of their own type of outlets and one usb. Well worth a look at.
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Postby Maxiy on Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:10 am

Joel wrote:I picked up the baintech power top and i have been very happy with it . Its similar to the arkpak but with built in 110 amp hour gelcell. Cost was around $650. Has 2 power inputs for solar and 12volt, 2 ciga outlets, engle outlet and one of their own type of outlets and one usb. Well worth a look at.

Interesting Joel

What is the build quality like? it looks like it is well made, and out of sturdier materials than the ArkPak

How do you find the charge time of the 100AH Gel ?

I kind of liked the idea of being able to replace the battery in the ArkPak however.

Does anyone know if you can hard wire these packs into your truck, like a second battery to keep it charged while on the road ?
Maxiy

Postby Joel on Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:31 am

Build is good. Its a solid metal case. I have a solar panel on my roof so rarely need to charge but when it does go flat i just plug in overnight. The battery can be replaced but 'only by authorised technician'. Not sure what the cost would be for it though.
It can be wired to charge from the alternator via anderson plug. Im thinking about doing this soon because ive recently changed jobs and am doing much more driving now.
If you want to have a look at my setup pm me and we can catch up.
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Previous

Return to Electrical