Postby norto on Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:35 am

Can anyone tell me if a second battery will fit
under the bonnet on a MN GLX R
Peter
Pete
norto

Re: MN Dual Battery

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:50 pm

Everyone I speak to says no. Looking at it in stock form I'm inclined to agree. It might be feasible if you didn't mind moving quite a lot of stuff around, or if your second battery was very small, but unless you did that I'd say no. Having said that I did wonder if I might be able to come up with a way to mount one up under the tray somewhere. Towards the back near the spare wheel there is a tonne of room, so if you had a way to mount it and keep it dry that might have potential.

No doubt now that I've gone and said no, someone will chime in and say the opposite... :)
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby ronnieq on Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:20 pm

Hi Guys The MN dual Battery issue is something I am interested in as I am going away bush camping shortly for 2 weeks.I am going to fit an Opposite Lock tray ($175.00) this Friday, why Opposite Lock because they are the only guys I have found that have actally fitted one to a Diesel MN GLXR, Piranha aren't sure about the fit (they gave one to my electrician to try) and TJM have one under development as they were'nt happy with the ML tray's fit.I spoke to Brian at Opposite Lock Welshpool W.A. who did the job, incredibly helpful and knowlegeable so spend your money with them if you live in W.A. or speak to Ian at Opposite Lock in Brookvale NSW also really helpful ( I am in NSW) . They had to move the ASC module and bend a Air Con pipe and shorten or move a heater hose. The guy they fitted it for (hi Nick) sent me photos it looks tight but is easy to do, he is really happy with the job. I will post pics and my opinion when the job is done.As for the under tray battery in the rear, my electrician said it would be very expensive because of cable size to fight voltage drop and has to be protected at both ends and run in conduit so big job to go from 55 amp hours under the bonnet to 85 amp hour ++ under the tray. I am going to see if I can replace the main with a smaller battery and increase the size of the second battery.I will keep you posted.Any other questions just PM me. I hope this was helpful and not to long winded .Regards Ronnie Q
I asked an old bike racer once "When I grow up if I could ride motorcyles ?" He said "You can't do both young fella !"
ronnieq

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:23 pm

would be very interested in seeing those photos.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Greedy on Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:25 am

ronnieq wrote:my electrician said it would be very expensive because of cable size to fight voltage drop and has to be protected at both ends and run in conduit so big job

Sounds like a cop out to me. That amount of cable and conduit will set you back $100 maximum and you should be able to jump start from it too. (3 B&S/25mm square cable).
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ronnieq on Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:59 am

No Greey not a "cop out" just an Auto electrician who doesn't want to spend my money faster than I can.Also it's more than just conduit and cable it's labour ,connectors, protection, type of battery and it all adds up. So maybe a little positive input from someone with an MN who has or is going to install a second battery might be better than just someone with an older model vehicle firing a barb for no reason. Ronnie Q
I asked an old bike racer once "When I grow up if I could ride motorcyles ?" He said "You can't do both young fella !"
ronnieq

Postby Greedy on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:12 am

ronnieq wrote:So maybe a little positive input from someone with an MN who has or is going to install a second battery might be better than just someone with an older model vehicle firing a barb for no reason. Ronnie Q

Sorry to offend Ronnie. Certainly wasn't meant to be a "barb for no reason". :oops: I didn't realise the MN was so technologically advanced that the ML is now totally redundant and irrelevant. Dual battery systems haven't changed a great deal in the last 2 years. The only extra costs will be the cable, conduit and labour. You still need (or should have) protection both ends to save wiring. Connectors will be the same too. I also installed mine myself so labour wasn't an issue and the extra run of heavy cable came in about $70 extra. These cost can be kept down further if you don't require a jumpstart ability. There was a thread much earlier in time showing 12mm square cable was ample to stop voltage drop when mounting the battery at the rear of the car.
Last edited by Greedy on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby gregned on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:28 am

My preference (and I am doing it this way) would be to mount under tray the money spent would be recouped by not having to replace the battery as often as heat kills batteries.Mounting this way also keeps the load off the front and puts it in the back where the ute is designed to carry it (the load).
Hills maketh the man
Why do you have to ride today? Because getting fat never takes holidays
gregned

Postby jop on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:16 am

12v-12v dc charger for the tray mount option 8-)

Heaps of brands to choose from, will look after your battery as well.

Google the bold type above.
jop

Postby ag9111 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:22 am

ML and MN share same engine bay layout, chassis, body shell and tray, its just been extended 200mm between tailgate and wheel arch so info is pertinant to both.
I run two heavy duty cables, double insulated, the whole length of the vehicle. One into the tray for the spare battery, one to the towbar for the camper trailor. Soldered on two anderson plugs. Mounted the dual battery controller in the engine bay and wired everything up in just over an hour. Its not a big job compared to the cost of the battery, material is pretty small cost. What will be expensive is some sort of mounting for the battery under the tray if you have to buy it. From memory somebody makes one for the Navara and its worth $700 or $800.
I'd go a sealed maint free battery that can be mounted on its side, if sticking under the tray.
Heat kills AGM batteries, so keep them out of the engine bay
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby greeny03 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:24 pm

HHmmmm!! Would imagine that not much has changed at all in the way you would wire up a second battery other than space under the bonnet!! In saying that it will save you money, well I can assure you there are price variations between stores and auto electricians. The Home of 12 Volt wanted over $10 per metre for exactly the same wire Carlec would sell to me for $5.10 per metre. So needless to say you can guess who got my money.
Depending on what charging system you are going to use and what battery you install is where most of the cost occurrs!!!!!
VR Triton
greeny03

Postby Greedy on Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:33 pm

greeny03 wrote:The Home of 12 Volt wanted over $10 per metre for exactly the same wire Carlec would sell to me for $5.10 per metre. So needless to say you can guess who got my money.

What sort of cable was that Greeny? I found Home of 12 Volt to be quite reasonable for my cable (About $6/m for 3B&S).

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ronnieq on Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:28 pm

Yes we have discussion now ,nice to see a thread working well. The biggest issue with the MN is the layout of the ancillary items in the engine bay, particularly the relay module for the ASC and heater hoses .I have spoken at length to the TJM guys at there head office and they are going to redesign there tray to suit the MN engine bay better.I would still prefer a larger battery at the rear of the vehicle ,yet time constraints before I take off for 2 weeks have forced me to go with the quickest option. regards Ronnie Q
ronnieq

Postby Dylan 191 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:51 pm

Greedy wrote: I didn't realise the MN was so technologically advanced that the ML is now totally redundant and irrelevant.

:lol: :lol: You tell em Greedy
Marge bring me your address book ,4 beers and my conversation hat !!
Dylan 191

Postby jop on Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:17 pm

i guess that long ass would take a lot more cable though
jop

Postby ag9111 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:20 pm

200mm to be exact
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ronnieq on Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:56 pm

I have a dual battery system fitted to my MN GLXR diesel ,manual, l fitted a Opposite Lock Tray for an 8'' battery and Redarc isolater, outlets for the rear seat (cigarrette and Weaco) and tray (Engel and cigarette). No problems with the fit only had to move the ASC module to the side of the battery tray . I would have preferred a larger battery yet because of time constraints before going away this was the best option,even still it ran a 25 year old 39 litre engel for 2.5 days at a time in 28 - 30° temperatures with no transit bag whilst away for 2 weeks ,any driving brought it up it back up to a good level of charge. My auto electrician ordered a Piranha Tray just in case and fitted the Opposite Lock as it was far better quality.No big engineering feet just had to cut a bracket and drill a hole for the ASC reposition.I will post some photos ASAP.Regards Ronnie
ronnieq

Postby ronnieq on Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:39 pm

I have some photos of the of the dual battery system installed in my MN in my shed . Really tidy job ,it was done by Emu Plains Auto Electrical (NSW) I highly recommend these guys if you live in the west of Sydney, $1600.00 all up including all the hardware ,parts and labour,battery ,battey tray and Redarc isolator, including one in-cab dual outlet wired to main and auxillary battery ,dual in-tub outlet, Redarc jump start push button in cab, driving lights and UHF install. Regards Ronnie Q
ronnieq

Postby sierra on Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:37 pm

ronnieq wrote:$1600.00 all up including all the hardware , Regards Ronnie Q

That's $1000 more than I thought it would cost! :shock:
sierra

Postby ronnieq on Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:51 pm

$200.00for the tray $200.00 for the battery $120.00 for the isolator $75.00 fot the outlets ,switches, auto reset circuit breakers,fuses,cable ,UHF Aerial aerial bracket ,Aerial lead and what now let me think there would be something in there that um maybe its um oh I um oh thats it it's um watcha may call it labor !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope you don't work as an estimator for anyone Sierra you would be sending them broke..
ronnieq

Postby Greedy on Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:02 pm

$1000 for labour. :o I'm in the wrong job.

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ronnieq on Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:18 pm

12 x$85.00 ========================
I will check my receipts just in case i am wrong.
Speaking of wrong jobs looking at your shed photos Greedy I hope your not a Carpenter or an Auto Electrician :lol:
If you were a spraypainter there is some horrible red on your triton that needs covering up. :lol:
ronnieq

Postby Dylan 191 on Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:25 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: @roonieq
Marge bring me your address book ,4 beers and my conversation hat !!
Dylan 191

Postby Greedy on Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:17 pm

ronnieq wrote:12 x$85.00 ========================

I don't have an issue with the $85 but 12 hours.... I must admit to not knowing what is involved with moving the ASC though.
ronnieq wrote:Speaking of wrong jobs looking at your shed photos Greedy I hope your not a Carpenter or an Auto Electrician :lol:

Your wishes have been granted. I'm neither but on simple jobs, I'll do some research and have a crack myself. The drawers work a treat, are fit for my purpose and centimetre perfect as opposed to all the aftermarket stuff. Total cost $800 (Drawers and dual batt).
ronnieq wrote:If you were a spraypainter there is some horrible red on your triton that needs covering up. :lol:

Each to their own I s'pose Ronnie. Personally, I don't like silver either.
Last edited by Greedy on Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:20 pm

Nice photos in the shed there RonnieQ - tight fit though by the look of it.

I'm curious though, what are these two switches?

ronnie switches.JPG

I'm guessing one is the switch that lets you start with the extra battery?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cowboy Dave

Next

Return to Electrical