Reversing Camera suggestions

Re: Reversing Camera suggestions

Postby ozi4me on Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:42 pm

Hi TJ, re reversing camera's I have installed an AudioOption reversing camera. It is a driver side sun visor that replaces the factory one. I have a 9inch LCD screen that switches on when reversing. Optics are good and rear vision, in particular on left hand rear of vehicle there are no more blind spots. Infra red takes care of reversing at night.
If I hit anything now then its my own fault, between the camera and reversing sensors I consider it money well spent from a safety point of view around kids and also avoiding insurance excess claims.
Expect to pay around $580.00 installed.
Other members have posted pics of their choice and comments, there is quite a selection on the market.
cheers,
Ozi2
ozi4me

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:10 pm

sam wrote:Would wireless be better or is cable the best way to go as I've heard that wireless can have patchy reception at times :? :?

I had a wireless cam going into my GPS for a while (it was higher than a reverse cam and designed for watching horses in floats being towed behind). The wire between the cam and the wireless sender was long enough that I could stick the sender on the inside of the canopy roof just behind the rear window. It got a little bit of interference every now and then but for the most part it was pretty good. I don't think I'd want to try it with the sender down near the rear bumper though, although mine was a cheapy so who knows?

ozi4me wrote:If I hit anything now then its my own fault, between the camera and reversing sensors I consider it money well spent from a safety point of view around kids and also avoiding insurance excess claims.
Ozi2

Reversing sensors? Would be interested in some details of those. That's been on my 'to do' list for ages but I've never been able to quite decide where best to mount the sensors.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby sam on Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Looking for opinions on the unit in the link below or should I be looking at more of a name brand . :? :?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/_W0QQitemZ290474581269

Thanks .............sam
sam

Postby scubapro on Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:32 am

Cowboy I have fitted reversing sensors in my TJM rear bar. Works great except the 2 sensors near the tow hitch had to be disconnected as they picked up the hitch. Now it works with 2 sensors at the ends of the bar wth no problems.

It has a digital read out that tells you exactly how close you are getting to any object as well as a beeping sound.

It also has the option for sensors for the front which I have not fitted. All up it cost me $35-00 deliverd from Hong Kong, similar units here cost $300-00 upwards. Check on Ebay.
scubapro

Postby gregned on Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:15 am

sam wrote:Looking for opinions on the unit in the link below or should I be looking at more of a name brand . :? :?

Thanks .............sam

I think this one will look messy as the reciever for the camera is the cig adaptor so this has to be in and connected to the unit in order to use the camera. I have a wireless system and the pic drops out at the most inconvenient times. However this may be better.
My Mate and I are looking at the double din units on ebay which have 2 camera inputs its the elegant model $500 odd the specs look good, others on the forum have has success with the seller dig_options

Oh and distance markers on the camera are usefull too.
Greg
Hills maketh the man
Why do you have to ride today? Because getting fat never takes holidays
gregned

Postby quigley595 on Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:55 am

sam wrote:Looking for opinions on the unit in the link below or should I be looking at more of a name brand . :? :?

Thanks .............sam

I have just bought exactly this same item. Arrives Tuesday, so I can give you an update late next week if you remind me via PM.

I realise that the receiver is in the Cig plug, and that it has to be plugged in all the time, but I think I can hide the wires away fairly neatly.

The beauty of this is that it is a large screen, has distance markers, and is also a GPS, which uses the IGo 8 software, which I believe has fantastic graphics and is a very good piece of software.

How it goes over the longer term is another matter, but I for one am prepared to take the chance.

If you DO but this unit, you must PM me before you buy it........ (there IS a reason for saying this...... PM me if you are going to buy it).
quigley595

Postby Rolla on Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:29 pm

sam wrote:Would wireless be better or is cable the best way to go as I've heard that wireless can have patchy reception at times :? :?

I've got wireless cam going to my GPS too. Cam is mounted above rear number plate and the closest I could get the transmitter was under the tub just in front of the spare. Reception is very patchy and very prone to interference. Seems it is not close enough to the receiver. In hind sight I should have gone wired, but didn't know how to get it into the cab. Now know about the gromet under the front passenger seat so I will get a wired cam and go that way.

Rolla
Wunce I coodent spell injunear, now i is wun
Rolla

Postby tjhart78 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:56 am

gregned wrote:
sam wrote:My Mate and I are looking at the double din units on ebay which have 2 camera inputs its the elegant model $500 odd the specs look good, others on the forum have has success with the seller dig_options

I'm looking at this elegant model too

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/7-LCD-DASH-CAR-G ... 3f022213b7

Has anyone installed one? Specs and price looks good - can anyone confirm that the bluetooth actually works with an iPhone?
tjhart78

Postby NitroGLXRin on Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:34 pm

^^^^ Carefull before you buy these double din units. When I was at the shop they guy said they are a no go for the MN as they are wider than the information centre. So some major cutting to fit it in. Not sure abour the ML's.
NitroGLXRin

Postby Fnordy on Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:04 pm

Hi TJ

I have this exact unit and it does fit although you will need to cut about 5mm off the LHS lower inside corner for the unit to slot in all the way. My unit is just sitting in the hole at present (getting installed thursday) but like you, wanted to make sure it all fitted ok.

With the MN MMCS Hood (i posted part number in another thread) you will still need to cut out a facia as the hole in hood is 209W x 109H but the Elinz Elegant is 178Wx100H (192D). If you get a close-up look at an MN with MMCS it also has a facia around the Double-Din DVD/GPS but I was not able to buy this part separately (parts guy couldn't find a part number for it) but will be easy enough to cut out of ABS plastic and will be hidden from view. You won't be able to use the surround for the Elinz Elegant with the MN Hood though (from what I can gather). Can get you some pics post-Thursday. I also purchased a couple of 9" Headrest monitors from Elinz as the DVD screen has dual content (separate movie and GPS for example).

I am thinking of loading Ozi Explorer and HEMA maps so will follow up with you in a few weeks after I have played around a bit.

Cheers

Fnordy

PS - the major cutting is literally just two slices with a stanley knife when you have the information centre out and is at the back so no-one can see it anyway!
Fnordy

MY10 GLX-R Manual Diesel (loads of mods - see shed)
MY09 200 Series VX Landcruiser (stock standard with Poly Airbags & UHF)

MY09 Giant TCR-Advanced 1
MY10 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon
Fnordy

Postby Try-it-on on Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:27 pm

A mate has just put one in his Rodeo that fits over the rearview mirror and totally replaces it.
It has a reflective surface so it is the mirror when you have it turned off, but when you turn on the camera/s (has fittings for 2 cameras) it then becomes the monitor. Works a treat and looks great. Only issue is that in my MN the mirror is already at it's highest adjustment and is still sitting a whisker too low for my liking, so his monitor, which increases the size of the mirror a fair bit, wouldn't really suit me, but I have mine going into the MMCS - $450 installed by Audiotech in Tuggeranong.
I love Terra Firma - the less firmer the more terror.
Try-it-on

Postby tjhart78 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:23 pm

Thanks Fnordy,

Would appreciate some pics etc when you can. I'll find that part number and see if I can order it in. Then I might just purchase all the equipment and take it to WOW to have it all installed at once? Would they trim the facia for me to make it fit?
tjhart78

Postby smouch1975 on Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:06 am

Can anybody name a known brand, high quality GPS unit that has a wired reversing camera as an optional extra??

Thanks in advance for advice ;)
Mark

Dirty woman, Clean truck :-)

View My Build Thread Here
smouch1975

Postby Fnordy on Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:09 pm

Ok - quick update, pics still to follow. The Elinz DVD headrests are as flakey as (wobble like crazy and will need to be cable tied down and pulled tight just to hold the screens steady).

I am tossing up whether to rip them straight out and return them (go for a roof-mounted screen) or just replace them with some other branded headrests. Either way I would not get them again.

They originally shipped me the grey headrests even though I had ordered black - had to pay for second set in advance which is prob fair although I don't know why they couldn't just reserve funds on a card like the hotels do in advance.

Pics and feedback on reversing camera side (getting back on topic) a little later

Cheers

Fnordy
Fnordy

MY10 GLX-R Manual Diesel (loads of mods - see shed)
MY09 200 Series VX Landcruiser (stock standard with Poly Airbags & UHF)

MY09 Giant TCR-Advanced 1
MY10 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon
Fnordy

Postby sam on Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:42 pm

Was wondering what you think of your purchase quigley have you had a chance to check it
out yet mate :? :?:
sam

Postby quigley595 on Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:45 pm

sam wrote:Was wondering what you think of your purchase quigley have you had a chance to check it
out yet mate :? :?:

Sam...
yes, I have. I am VERY happy with it, except for 2 little things, which I can sort out easily.

First One....
The power jack on the wireless receiver, is just a gnats tit too long for the GPS units socket, with the result that it does not make a good connection. The unit comes with three power jacks, one on the 240 volt transformer, which fits perfectly, one cigarette plug type for the GPS unit, which also fits perfectly, and the one which is supplied with the camera (which is needed, since this is the wireless receiver. This is the one which is too long.
If I cant get the proper jack in an electronics shop (it is VERY tiny), I can cut the jack off the 240 volt one, and replace the one on the wireless receiver with this. Means a little soldering, but no prob, and I dont know if I really need the 240 volt one anyway. Alternatively I can use the GPS cig plug jack and solder this on in place of the bad one.

Second one.....
I have the wireless transmitter directly behind he number plate (where the camera is mounted), and I have the power coming off the reversing light cable at the plug at the back end of the tub.
Occasionally I get a bad reception of the camera because of all the metal and spare tyre it has to go through.
Simple solution is to move the transmitter as far forward underneath the car as I can, but there is not enough cable to do this on initial installation. Will mean making up an extension lead, but this is no big deal.
Considering the location I have it in at the moment, the reception is not too bad at all... moving it forward would fix this perfectly, so that is what I will do when I get round to it. But... I can use it as is for the moment.

As for the GPS unit itself.... the software is the best I have seen. It is called, IGo 8. I haven't yet worked out how to do bulk loads of POIs and the like, but I will get round to that. There are heaps of POIs, and speed cams already built in, and its easy to add a new one through the screen.

I have maps of Aus, NZ, Asia, Europe and USA if I ever need them.

The supplier I bought it from is very good, and helpful........ but couldn't help me with the bad plug. I guess they come from China like this and he has little control.

No matter... I can fix it easily myself as described above.
quigley595

Postby tjhart78 on Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:21 pm

Hey Fnordy - you get that unit installed?
tjhart78

Postby sam on Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Missed your post quig's but thanks for the feed back mate.
With moving the transmitter forward will you have to cut and solder or is it a plug in affair that you can just add an extension onto . :?
Also how isthe clarity of the pic with the reverse camera when it's connecting well . :? :?:
sam

Postby quigley595 on Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:36 pm

sam wrote:Missed your post quig's but thanks for the feed back mate.
With moving the transmitter forward will you have to cut and solder or is it a plug in affair that you can just add an extension onto . :?
Also how isthe clarity of the pic with the reverse camera when it's connecting well . :? :?:

Hi Sam... I've been away for a few weeks.. (see my post on bulk oil & filters.... AUD8.00 for a genuine filter!!)..

anyway..... to your question....
I will probably add an extension, either solder a longer wire, or solder a plug and socket and attach the extension to that... it should be all too easy either way.
Dont know if the extra length will affect the quality of display.. will let you know.

Even without the extension, the image is generally fine. Sometimes there is a little interference, a few lines etc, sometimes flicks to black and white, but still easy to put up with as is, so in reality there is no reason why I couldn't use the camera as is, without an extension. The extension will just make things so much better. I will be making the extension sometime in the next week or so, so I will let you know.
quigley595

Postby slipn on Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:47 pm

What do you guys think of this?

I was just quoted from my Stealer a Seamless 150 B Reverse Camera for $650 installed?

Good price?
Good product?

Thanks!
slipn

Postby koshari on Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:39 am

ok 4 months the new reversing camera/screen sitting in the spare room now i have time to install it,

any grommets at the rear of the dual cab to run the video feed cable out?

i have tested it with a temp setup running the cable through the rear cab window with it open,

looks pretty good so far, only issue it interferes with the FM radio a little when running.
koshari

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:44 am

Pull the plastic surround off above your passenger side rear wheel and you'll get access to a nice big grommet that comes in near the rear seatbelt on that side. You'll have to pull off the plastic trim in that rear corner but it's a nice easy route to run wires. Much shorter than all the way down the chassis rail and in through the firewall anyway.

Cowboy Dave

Postby koshari on Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:38 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Pull the plastic surround off above your passenger side rear wheel and you'll get access to a nice big grommet that comes in near the rear seatbelt on that side. You'll have to pull off the plastic trim in that rear corner but it's a nice easy route to run wires. Much shorter than all the way down the chassis rail and in through the firewall anyway.

thanks for the reply, about 2 hours to late for my benifit however it may assist someone else,

i went through the rail then in the front firewall grommet between the glove box and the battery (where my rear battery feed and UHF antenna cable come through).

Click to view larger picture

Click to view larger picture
koshari

Postby koshari on Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:26 pm

by the way can anyone suggest an easy place to splice into the red/green reverse signal in the cab of a glxr ml t/d?
koshari

Reversing Camera suggestions

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:17 pm

There was someone here who'd done something like that behind the passenger side kick panel. Maybe search kick panel? On tapatalk ATM so searching not so good.

Cowboy Dave

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical