Reversing Camera suggestions

Re: Reversing Camera suggestions

Postby koshari on Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:32 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:There was someone here who'd done something like that behind the passenger side kick panel. Maybe search kick panel? On tapatalk ATM so searching not so good.

euruka, bottom connector, thicker green and red wire is the one,

all finished.

covers back on, and another chore ticked off the TO DO list.
koshari

Postby peterdeg on Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:04 am

My wife actually read 'the Christmas list' this year and got me a MultiView Monitor from http://stores.ebay.com.au/loudroomcreations. $135 for the screen and one camera. Post-Christmas, I bought two more cameras ($60 delivered) and I've finally finished installing it.

A couple of issues. First was a DOA camera. The guy was quite contactable and a replacement was quickly on its way. Second was self induced ie. If you have to cut the corrugated conduit you're using to protect the cables, make sure you remove all the cables first :x :oops:

The screen clamps over the rear-view mirror and as it's relatively heavy, it also has straps to help tie it in place.

I've wired it up so that it comes on when accessory power is on. I picked up accessory power from the cigarette lighter and ran it to a fused relay under the bonnet and use it to switch on power from the main battery to the cable normally used to signal the system that the car is in reverse.

The screen can display up to three cameras at once. I have a camera at the number plate, pointing at the towball, underneath pointing forwards (bit of an experiment, it may go) and will put one on the trailer.

I've found the underneath and towball cameras stay clear in the rain but the number plate one mists up. Applying some Rain-x seems to have helped with that.

The underneath on was clouted by something yesterday on the way home from work but I'll give it more time before deciding whether to move it or not.

Click to view larger picture

Number plate camera

Towball camera

Underneath camera

Various views of my untidy garage.

No, I don't know why the underneath camera displays parking guidance lines, it's supposed to be identical to the towball one!
Peter
2011 MN GLX-R manual.
Some pics here.
Build thread here.

4WD History: 2004 NP GLS Pajero DiD. 2002 Freelander Td4. 1996 Subaru DL wagon. Learnt in a 1980 F100.
peterdeg
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rhodes96 on Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:05 pm

That's a pretty good setup peterdeg. Looking at doing somthing similar.

The towball camera is pretty cool 8-) .
rhodes96

Postby smlr on Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:03 am

G'day guys

I have ordered a clarion NX502A double din but am stuck on what reverse camera to get. The store where I'm buying the d/d system is recommending to get the low light camera but I was thinking of the infrared night vision type. I have read only to get the infrared camera. Anyone on here that has the low light or infrared camera with some feedback ?
smlr

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:15 am

Infrared camera usually has its' own infrared leds that provide lighting for use at night and tend to be a bit bulkier while low light cameras are able to give a reasonable picture when light levels are as low as 1 lux. My experience is that the leds in the infrared camera died fairly quickly (probably not the highest quality) and current draw exceeded capacity of the ultra-thin wiring that it was equipped with. Now have low light type and this is ok although some supplementary reversing lighting would make it better. Low light type does give better colour picture at night while infrared tended to be black and white but a little sharper.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby smlr on Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:46 pm

So do you think that on the triton with standard reverse lights, that the low light camera would be good enough at night as we all know how bad the lights are?
smlr

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:23 pm

smlr wrote:So do you think that on the triton with standard reverse lights, that the low light camera would be good enough at night as we all know how bad the lights are?

NowForThe5th wrote:Now have low light type and this is ok although some supplementary reversing lighting would make it better.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby smlr on Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:37 pm

:oops: Sorry misread post. I might give the low light type a go. If worst comes to worst then I might upgrade the reverse lights. Thanks heaps.
smlr

Postby cryonicjason on Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:47 am

Guys, i've given myself a headache researching reverse cameras and monitors so a question for those that have them, what are you using and how happy are you with them?

I do like the ones that fit over your existing rearview mirror as they (i assume) can be removed when not in use so they arent a thief magnet.

What i need the camera for is to help the GF back the triton into her horse float, but was thinking of adding a second camera to the back of her float eventually.

Thanks.
cryonicjason
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dan.batto on Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:29 am

I got a $140 one from repco which fits over the mirror for my old mans tri, works a treat! He loves it. Only thing is that it is a bit bigger than the original mirror.

Myself, I'm using the dig options unit with their camera, fantastic! Makes reversing to the trailer so much easier!!!!
dan.batto

Postby cryonicjason on Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:27 am

The Digioptions unit looks great, but i dont think we'll use half its features lol

Which repco unit did you get for your dad btw? The Gator or Automedia unit?

Thanks
cryonicjason
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Dilligara on Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:53 am

TJM at Underwood in Brisbane fitted a camera and rear view mirror monitor for me. Works very well and could not imagine the vehicle without it now. About $350 fitted.
Last edited by Dilligara on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew - White MY17 Auto.
Dilligara

Postby smlr on Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:01 pm

When I researched my camera I looked at these things
120 degree or more field of view,
It has mirror image option
Use Ccd image sensor
Make sure the connectors are waterproof type
The better type cameras are sharp or Sony
Most of the new camera types are low light type. I've got one and am very happy with it
The infrared type are ok but the led's in the light can blow
smlr

Postby smlr on Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:06 pm

For a good strong monitor with camera try Brigade. We fit them on earthmoving machines & they hold up ok.
smlr

Postby cryonicjason on Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:22 am

Dilligara wrote:TJM at Underwood in Brisbane fitted a camera and rear view mirror monitor for me. Works very well and could not image the vehicle without it now. About $350 fitted.

What brand mate?
cryonicjason
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dan.batto on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:13 am

cryonicjason wrote:The Digioptions unit looks great, but i dont think we'll use half its features lol

Thanks

Ill have a look today for you mate! It's an easy self install!!!!
dan.batto

Postby Barney2803 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:50 pm

I just replaced my camera as I busted a cable. I got one off eBay for $12 including postage and it is brilliant. Albeit that's just the camera part not the screen but you can get screens really cheap too!
Barney2803

Postby dan.batto on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:56 pm

dan.batto wrote:
cryonicjason wrote:The Digioptions unit looks great, but i dont think we'll use half its features lol

Thanks

Ill have a look today for you mate! It's an easy self install!!!!

Sorry mate but no brand name written on it :( I'm going to say auto media sounds more like what it was but to be honest not sure. Black box green writing if that helps. About $120-$150 on special. Includes mirror cover (screen) camera and wiring. Easy install. Mirror is quite large but if you can live with that you will love it. I don't think the old man will ever go without one now, I know I won't!!!!
dan.batto

Postby cryonicjason on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:17 pm

Just found your post Dan :oops: (though i have been occupied by other things haha)

Currently the automedia one is on sale for $150 so i think thats the one you got. Was thinking about it more while driving the triton on sunday, and currently i find the mirror a bit low, its at eye level for me and i find it a pain when checking to my left at intersections. (didnt think to lower the seat)

So i'm not as keen on this type of reverse mirror. Unless i move the mirror higher on the windscreen... Did that on my NC fairlane, but that was after it fell off lol.
cryonicjason
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:22 pm

Double check the adjustment on the mirror - I remember there was a thread somewhere where people got a bit of a surprise at how much adjustment was available, can't remember if it was up or down though now after all this time.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby cryonicjason on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:51 pm

Yeah i'll have a better look at it, but from the drivers seat i didnt think it could be adjusted /shrugs (plus i never think of it till i'm driving :D )

Begs the question, are all triton rearview mirrors adjustable? Or just an optional accessorie?
cryonicjason
Platinum Subscriber

Postby cryonicjason on Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:40 pm

Hehe

Sorted lol :oops:
cryonicjason
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dan.batto on Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:34 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Double check the adjustment on the mirror - I remember there was a thread somewhere where people got a bit of a surprise at how much adjustment was available, can't remember if it was up or down though now after all this time.

I remember that too, I actually think it was in a reverse camera thread. And there is a second ball point at the windscreen you realise it's there as its a little tighter than the mirror adjustment one. Lifts the mirror to a much higher position which should allow you to install this type of camera/view screen :D
dan.batto

Postby Crash486 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:49 am

I have one clipped over the rear view mirror for a while now and could not live without it, however it's probably been already mentioned that the extra weight causes the mirror to head south on hot days and bumpy roads don't help. That's the downside with them.
Edit: I like the dig options solution but win ce turns me off it a bit, I'm waiting till these puppies get more common http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-57 ... -its-belt/

Access to android apps is very appealing. I mean who doesn't like angry birds? Lol
Crash486

Postby Froggy on Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:28 am

Crash486 wrote:Edit: I like the dig options solution but win ce turns me off it a bit, I'm waiting till these puppies get more common http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-57 ... -its-belt/

Access to android apps is very appealing. I mean who doesn't like angry birds? Lol

Very 8-) :!:
I just can't understand why more more manufacturers are not moving on from winCE! Android is perfect!

I note with this parrot device that it does not have 3G which would mean it doesn't have GPS as well. Kinda pointless for navigation! :roll:
Though it does have built in Bluetooth so that sets it apart from the other Chinese Android car stereos where the Bluetooth is only accessible from the WinCE system running underneath. This means you should be able to use a OBDII dongle with the Parrot! 8-)
Froggy

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical