ChipIt & EcuTek Discussion

Re: ECUTEK RESULTS

Postby Diddy on Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:43 pm

my chipit still pulls harder than ecutek and a lot less coin and i can take it out when needed .
but congrats fridgie on ya purchase i know its been a long time coming for you so enjoy all u need is a good exhaust to be matched to ya tune now poor daisy can now relax without having her ring gear hanging out :D :D :D :D :D
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Postby snowman on Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:49 pm

DiD Power wrote:my chipit still pulls harder than ecutek and a lot less coin and i can take it out when needed .

HTF do you know that? :?
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

ECUTEK RESULTS

Postby gregned on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:44 pm

My seat pants dyno tells me that tune custom 1 folder 2 pulled just slightly harder than the ecutec tune I have now although the dyno graph showed the same power and torque figures I was told if I wanted more power the egt's may get too high on a long overtake maneuver
Hills maketh the man
Why do you have to ride today? Because getting fat never takes holidays
gregned

Postby MRTbrett on Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:11 pm

DiD Power wrote:my chipit still pulls harder than ecutek and a lot less coin and i can take it out when needed .
but congrats fridgie on ya purchase i know its been a long time coming for you so enjoy all u need is a good exhaust to be matched to ya tune now poor daisy can now relax without having her ring gear hanging out :D :D :D :D :D

brave statement
:)
MRT
MRTbrett

Postby MLTRIT08 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:29 pm

MRTbrett wrote:

brave statement

And probably pulls a lot more limps :) :)
MLTRIT08

ECUTEK RESULTS

Postby Diddy on Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:24 am

MLTRIT08 wrote:
MRTbrett wrote:

brave statement

And probably pulls a lot more limps :) :)

Never had a limp mode yet and it's done a very hard 6000klms since being installed and has never missed a beat in fact it feels like it keeps getting better n better all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Diddy

Postby snowman on Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:08 am

DiD Power wrote:Never had a limp mode yet and it's done a very hard 6000klms since being installed and has never missed a beat in fact it feels like it keeps getting better n better all the time

DiD,

have you got an idea of your EGT's? The MRT tune may not be a powerful as some of the aggressive Chip-it settings but they were developed utilising conservative EGT numbers. I don't think there is any doubt that you can develop more power from the Chip-it tunes. the question is what turbo temps are you running.

if i had of kept my Chip-it in the car i was going to get an EGT gauge, which they now sell.

i am not pro MRT (although i now run their tune) or anti Chip-it (i still have one of their chips in the shed and it is/was good while i had it - albeit at a moderate tune) but am just making an advised comment on a bit of research i have done.

i know you treat it like you stole it and it seems to be one of the better built ones - but a mistake here could leave you with a big hole in your pocket, and make the MRT tune seem like chicken feed.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

ECUTEK RESULTS

Postby Diddy on Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:47 am

snowman wrote:
DiD Power wrote:Never had a limp mode yet and it's done a very hard 6000klms since being installed and has never missed a beat in fact it feels like it keeps getting better n better all the time

DiD,

have you got an idea of your EGT's? The MRT tune may not be a powerful as some of the aggressive Chip-it settings but they were developed utilising conservative EGT numbers. I don't think there is any doubt that you can develop more power from the Chip-it tunes. the question is what turbo temps are you running.

if i had of kept my Chip-it in the car i was going to get an EGT gauge, which they now sell.

i am not pro MRT (although i now run their tune) or anti Chip-it (i still have one of their chips in the shed and it is/was good while i had it - albeit at a moderate tune) but am just making an advised comment on a bit of research i have done.

i know you treat it like you stole it and it seems to be one of the better built ones - but a mistake here could leave you with a big hole in your pocket, and make the MRT tune seem like chicken feed.

I agree totally snowy with u 100% but only time will tell so far so good cos justin from chipit is running much more intense tunes then myself and he is only just hit the danger range of egt's so I think I'm pretty safe in that department plus I have a 3" exhaust that also helps in the egt department. by the way if I didn't have the chip it and was only new to this forum I probably would go with the mrt

Diddy

Postby reeldreamer on Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:04 am

Just out of interest DID have you put your ute on the dyno or driven a ute with a MRT tune? I have not driven a Chipit ute yet so I am holding out making judgment perhaps you should do the same......I have all the same mods as you mate and i reckon my ute is pretty quick but i wont be making any brash statements until I am sure it is the best! Perhaps you could just be happy for Fridgie and what he has done with his ute instead of saying "Mine is still better"

At the end of the day we should encourage people to share their story with everyone on the forum and not feel shy about coming forward (I know fridgie is far from shy!) but other less vocal members could be put off by those statements! We don't want a forum like a boys club!

Mitch
Bash plates and other cool gear from Prestige Offroad Accessories

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=80
reeldreamer

Postby macmac1234 on Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:10 am

well said mitch ^^^^
macmac1234

Postby Steane on Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:27 am

I'd really like to hear more feedback like gregneds, comparing the MRT to an exact ChipIT tune ie the folder and the tune. The comparisons are a bit vague otherwise as there is such a breadth of tunes available with the ChipIT.

I think it was Wallace's dyno graphs that showed the MRT tune and the ChipIT almost being identical, might be wrong...

Is there a noticeable difference in driveability with the MRT tune over the ChipIT? Or is it much of a muchness? I'm not finding any issues with the ChipIT from a driveability point of view.

The advantage that I am seeing with the MRT is that we know it is safe (EGT wise), where as we are hoping the ChipIT is safe, and may be pushing the boundaries if we use a higher tune, without the EGT probe and failsafe. But I am also not aware of any EGT related issues cropping up yet.

I've driven an ML with a re-tuned ECU (not MRT), one that was boasting some big kw/Nm increases and it wasn't close to performing like the ChipIT running folder 2, tune 4. It also had the noisiest injectors I've ever heard in an ML, and the ChipIT helped reduce the clatter in mine.

I'm very seriously considering the MRT tune and planning to book with the guys in SA very soon (the pricing at the moment is incredible), so I'm not an advocate one way or the other, just interested in what people who have switched over are finding.
Last edited by Steane on Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby daryn on Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:33 am

Thread created and posts merged.

There will only be one warning as we dont want any repeats of previous similar threads, everyone is to be treated fairly, everyone has a voice and will be respected, be familiar with the rules of the forum because that is where we will jump in if needed and we dont want to do that.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Diddy on Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:07 am

daryn wrote:Thread created and posts merged.

There will only be one warning as we dont want any repeats of previous similar threads, everyone is to be treated fairly, everyone has a voice and will be respected, be familiar with the rules of the forum because that is where we will jump in if needed and we dont want to do that.

Thats wright daryn . good to see u are earning ya money

Diddy

Re: ChipIt & EcuTek Discussion

Postby daryn on Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:36 am

Here is my comparison:

DP210 Tune 4 (as programmed and supplied on CD) vs MRT Special Tune personalised to my vehicle.

nb. this is not the current ChipIt product and I never had any folder 2 stuff.

My truck could not run Tune 5 which was menat for 3" exhaust fella's as it would surge big time and was undriveable.

ecutek vs chipit sml.jpg

This was done on the same Dyno as Snowmans and others here, which is a highly respected 4 wheel hub dyno at MRT performance in Sydney.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby MRTbrett on Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:21 am

to make things easy I have posted a segment here for al lour dyno data
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=7033&p=123569#p123569
MRT
MRTbrett

Postby trouble on Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:44 am

A good comparo might be if Daryn and DiD have a run ...............on a private Road of course.

But from WhatI saw DiD has a good strong vehicle as he did run down Daryn, when Daryn booted it from about 50-60ks and DiD was catching him after dropping back 1 gear and standing on it.

Independant veiw here

Maybe Daryn and DiD can bring more light to this discussion. However from what I see all the dyno results differ. As all dyno's are different.

Again Im not taking sides (I have a Chip it chip and never have had a limp mode or any problems at all) and I love mine, however I can see the why poeple go with MRT as well.

just for ya info reeldreamer he never said "mine is still better"
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby fridgie on Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:01 am

Had a bit of a run last night with Kyle on way home from pub, 5th gear, from 90 to 110 on the highway. He is running more boost than me, egr blank, swirl mod and was slowly pulling ahead :evil: bastard!! :lol:

Not the best comparo but definitely makes me think I want to get the power to come in a little earlier than it does. Think it would be better for me as I rarely use it over the 3000rpm range.

Will be good to see if I get any improvement after my 60k service and carbon check ;)
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby trouble on Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:08 am

yeah Fridgie thas what I like about the Chip it chip the power comes on early.
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby Steane on Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:21 am

^^Kyle, if you jump on here it would be good to know which ChipIT tune you are running and how much boost. ;)

And yeah fridgie, IMO it's down low where you want the grunt. No point having it up high with a diesel 4WD especially one you use off-road or for towing. As much torque as possible just off idle is the ideal scenario. It doesn't really matter how these things go once they've hit the legal limit +10%.
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NTBB on Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:28 am

It's not the carbon fridge I had my manifold cleaned before the ecutek... the chip was better low down..imo.. :?
I bought my 4wd out of NEED not want.
NTBB

Postby snowman on Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:25 am

Steane wrote:^^Kyle, if you jump on here it would be good to know which ChipIT tune you are running and how much boost. ;)

And yeah fridgie, IMO it's down low where you want the grunt. No point having it up high with a diesel 4WD especially one you use off-road or for towing. As much torque as possible just off idle is the ideal scenario. It doesn't really matter how these things go once they've hit the legal limit +10%.

i agree. the tunes out of sydney were providing low down power gains - especially above the Chip-it basic tunes. my dyno result comparison shows this. However i noted that Fridgies results seem very high up the rev range.

i am not sure if MRT and associates in other states are comparing notes but i would want mine to be providing better power down low.......i have no issues with my engine down low - just can't get it too the ground with my slipping gearbox. :evil:
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:31 am

^^^I noticed Fridgies appeared to be more revy too...maybe they could have a chat with MRT about the specific tune to some of the others with the low end improvement?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby NTBB on Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:08 am

Sorry guys my chip was set to whatever Chip It pre programed it to for the egr blank tune 4 i think.
And I can't run my blank now... :cry:
NTBB

Postby snowman on Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:54 am

NTBB wrote:Sorry guys my chip was set to whatever Chip It pre programed it to for the egr blank tune 4 i think.
And I can't run my blank now... :cry:

i will try and verify mine but like you i had the standard (i thought it was tune 3 though :? ) EGR blank tune that came with the Chip-it. i never adjusted mine.

Ask S&J how their tune varies from the MRT one. i would have hoped these guys (as they dont compete against each other for territory) would combine their knowledge and share the tunes. it can only help everone - currently the tunes from Sydney seem to be the most suitable for the 4wd type of car.

i have pretty much reasoned my self out of the EGR blank due to it being a bit more closed (so i am told) with the MRT tune and the economy it is giving me. i guess at 80-100k i will just have to get the inlets cleaned out. from what i can gather there is not a lot of crap getting into the intercooler etc so that was one of my big concerns.

i am hoping that there will be a feature soon where we can upload ourselves once the ECUteK tune has originallly been installed and the license paid. From one of Brett's posts there may be some possibility of this....... :? :? This would allow us to carry a couple of tunes - like maybe one for towing, one standard etc. That would be very cool wouldn't it.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NTBB on Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:32 am

Snowy when my mechanic and I cleaned out the manifolds the carbon only fouled from the egr valve down, no crap on the throttle butterfly so the intercooler is safe.
That said I cleaned it out at 45,000k's but had run my plate for at least 25,000k's and the mess was horrific... :shock: We noticed the differance instantly much more responsive.
It is a absolute prick of a job and very labour intensive my mechanic let me clean the crap up whilst he checked tappets and did some other jobs, I would have hated paying the stealer $100 + per hour to do this the local bloke is $60.00 and lets me watch...... :oops:
NTBB

Next

Return to Electrical