ChipIt & EcuTek Discussion

Postby fridgie on Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:36 am

NTBB wrote: the local bloke is $60.00 and lets me watch...... :oops:

must not post comment, must not post comment.... :lol: :lol:
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Re: ChipIt & EcuTek Discussion

Postby NTBB on Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:40 am

Well he is the only one I let drive her.... ;)
I bought my 4wd out of NEED not want.
NTBB

Postby UAV on Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:10 pm

fridgie wrote:
NTBB wrote: the local bloke is $60.00 and lets me watch...... :oops:

must not post comment, must not post comment.... :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
UAV

Re: ECUTEK RESULTS

Postby Diddy on Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:39 pm

reeldreamer wrote:
DiD Power wrote:my chipit still pulls harder than ecutek and a lot less coin and i can take it out when needed .
but congrats fridgie on ya purchase i know its been a long time coming for you so enjoy all u need is a good exhaust to be matched to ya tune now poor daisy can now relax without having her ring gear hanging out :D :D :D :D :D

Just out of interest DID have you put your ute on the dyno or driven a ute with a MRT tune? I have not driven a Chipit ute yet so I am holding out making judgment perhaps you should do the same......I have all the same mods as you mate and i reckon my ute is pretty quick but i wont be making any brash statements until I am sure it is the best! Perhaps you could just be happy for Fridgie and what he has done with his ute instead of saying "Mine is still better"

At the end of the day we should encourage people to share their story with everyone on the forum and not feel shy about coming forward (I know fridgie is far from shy!) but other less vocal members could be put off by those statements! We don't want a forum like a boys club!

Mitch

listen mate i didnt say mine is still better if you could be bothered to read my post properly i was more than happy for fridgie i congratulated him on his mrt purchase and also commented on how much better his daisy would run .
maybe you should see a doctor cos i think you are suffering from a real bad case of foot n mouth
i think you change your username from reeldreamer to a reelbelter.
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Postby jop on Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:44 pm

Ease up turbo :roll:

listen mate i didnt say mine is still better if you could be bothered to read my post properly i was more than happy for fridgie i congratulated him on his mrt purchase and also commented on how much better his daisy would run .
maybe you should see a doctor cos i think you are suffering from a real bad case of foot n mouth
i think you change your username from reeldreamer to a reelbelter.
jop

Postby fridgie on Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:47 pm

Someone awoke the angry hobbit :lol: :lol:
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby snowman on Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:51 pm

fridgie wrote:Someone awoke the angry hobbit :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

.....but come on DiD - take a few deep breaths mate.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:55 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: angry people :lol:

i betcha kyle had a big smile that night fridgie + plus a heavier wallet 8-) :lol:
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Homer at janowen Hills (3mins later)
Recovered
by fridgie 4wd Training Day... "shakes head" i woulda made it
chick_magnet_0001

Postby Diddy on Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:56 pm

ok im sorry if i seemed to be abit rude towards you reeldreamer but i dont appreciate people writing something i didnt say or do so i hope u accept my apology and please dont do it ever again
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Postby SEJ GLX-R on Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:04 pm

:shock: Why does this topic get people so fired up?????????????????????????????
See my build thread ... HERE
See my shed ............. HERE
SEJ GLX-R

Postby snowman on Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:06 pm

SEJ GLX-R wrote::shock: Why does this topic get people so fired up?????????????????????????????

an excellent question. it is a bit like the 'who's is bigger' type argument.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jop on Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:07 pm

I am not fired up..... don't call me fired up....... :lol:

Don't know - it's only money ;)
jop

Postby daryn on Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:08 pm

daryn wrote:Thread created and posts merged.

There will only be one warning as we dont want any repeats of previous similar threads, everyone is to be treated fairly, everyone has a voice and will be respected, be familiar with the rules of the forum because that is where we will jump in if needed and we dont want to do that.

At the end of each day everyone has a group hug.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:11 pm

suppppppper moderatorrrrrrrr 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Homer at janowen Hills (3mins later)
Recovered
by fridgie 4wd Training Day... "shakes head" i woulda made it
chick_magnet_0001

Postby fridgie on Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:24 pm

daryn wrote:
daryn wrote:Thread created and posts merged.

There will only be one warning as we dont want any repeats of previous similar threads, everyone is to be treated fairly, everyone has a voice and will be respected, be familiar with the rules of the forum because that is where we will jump in if needed and we dont want to do that.

At the end of each day everyone has a group hug.

I'm NOT touching the hobbit!!!! :lol: :lol:

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby borngeek on Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:32 pm

OK before this turns into a shizzfight lets have a discussion about this...

I have driven snowies MRT, DiD's chipIT and myself I have a chipIT with further mods (chk my shed or ask)
BOTH have driven mine!

EcuTek - tech/nerd wise woop a interceptor chip every day of the week. (be it chipIT, DP, Steinbauer whatever)

WHY?
Because they have much more power over adjustment of how the engine delivers power. Simple. They can access every aspect of the ecu. A interceptor chip cannot. Chip controls fuel rail pressure and tells fibs to the MAP sensor that is it. (at most)

Power... OK if you want HEAPS of power and dont give a stuff about warranty follow my path. MRT are not interested in blowing up road car engines of their clients.
If asked, MRT can create a drag triton if you want but you get X runs before you have to rebuild it. Same applies for chipIT, they will inject methanol and you will get a enourmous result. The chipIT guys already get 200HP from the 3.2 engine with 30psi and unleaded injection. A enourmous result from a 4 cylinder turbo diesel engine... You think MRT cant do the same if they want? YES they CAN!

What you should consider here is your requirement...

Longevity wise, MRT wins. They may not get that absolute peak better power if you make internal mods that void your warranty but trust me they are impressive power wise and produce a engine config that blows 1/10th the smoke and I recon (yet to be proven) that low down off the line they will eat a interceptor chip alive no probs (and the dyno charts show this)

DO you all from different states get different results? YES! No engine is the same and each tuner will choose a different setup for your vehicle based on MRT's guidelines formed from testing..
No engine is equal. There are many factors in play in how much they can get out of your personal engine SAFELY.. Safely being an important word because MRT are driving the safe line and have a backup warranty to support each purchaser. Its a important consideration ;)

I welcome questions about how I have put this but really if you want to compare the two technologies you have to consider what each product offers you individually.

cheers, BG :ugeek:
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Diablo on Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:36 pm

fridgie wrote:I'm NOT touching the hobbit!!!! :lol: :lol:

Not what you told Kyle and me last night :lol:
Recoveries.......
Recovered.
1. Fridgie x lost count (in the 20s I recon)
2. Kyle x 1 (Coomera)
3. Joe x 1 (Coomera)
4. Perko (LCMP)

Recovered by.
1. Joe @ City View
2. Fridgie x Lost count (in the teens)
3. Joe @ Coomera

4. Bounce23 @ GH
Diablo

Postby Kegsy on Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:15 pm

I've had quite a few chips in my short time on this earth, and I've also had proper custom tunes loaded onto a factory ECU, both of which were on that one car. Custom tunes are far superior to interceptor type chips, I say this from experience.

The custom tune can alter ANY table in the ECU as they have pretty much 99.9% access to the ECU. You can place your power where you need it, and best of all you retain all the safety features of the factory ECU. There is no trickery of the ECU to gain power and cause problems like limp modes. In the end with a custom tune done correctly your car will drive like or better than stock and be just as safe engine wise.

BG has hit home pretty much every other point I was going to make, he's spot on.

A chip is a generic tune for ALL vehicles of that make and model, a custom tune (AKA MRT TUNE) is tuned to YOUR car only. The custom tune will create the best gains for your car and your needs and do it safer.

IMO there is no competition between the two in terms of features, its just your wallet in the end which will decide. Even if you want all the power in the world and ring the neck from your donk, the custom tune will still do it the best, however the tuner tends to remove their warranty at this point and it becomes a race tune.

Also as Brett from MRT has hinted they may be setting up a flash unit in the future... If so, with my last car I had a hand held flash unit that had my factory tune, and 3 other tunes. I had Valet tune (highly reduced rev limiter), street and race. All tunes I could swap from one to the other in about 3 mins for any occasion. If this feature happens, its just another plus for the custom tune especially for servicing at a MMA dealer.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NTBB on Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:21 pm

Geek I was told they have access to about 15% of the ecu
My gains were 27% Im not good at math this is what the tuner told me.
My reasons for getting this tune was that it preformed better than the chip in the low down and was safer + writing the egr out sold it , so if the reason that my outcome is because of the difference in my motor i think i better cut my losses and trade I fu#kn hope not tho no way could I ever afford to mod a ute like I have this one.
NTBB

Postby Kegsy on Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:25 pm

ECU access depends on the car and how far they have cracked it, it may be very low on the triton?...

Only my old car (ford) the tuner told me he had 99% access to the tables, then there is all the other crap the ECU deals with that you can't and don't really want to touch anyway.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby daryn on Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:18 pm

MMAL have just released a new ECU update for all ML's, yes I said ML's, just when you thought they would do no more they actually got there act together and did another update.

So the story goes like this (sorry ag :) )....

My Triton was in for a cruise control fault and CEL at the same time as a 60,000k service, stupid me forgot to say dont touch the ecu because of EcuTek (nb. my dealer is MRT/EcuTek aware), anyway my tune got overwritten, bummer, but when I picked it up, wow, this is actually pretty good, I turn Sprint Booster (SB) on and yes, this is good. It is like what I have said before SB would be my first addition before any chip or tune. Back to story, the Triton drove really good, was it the 3", surely not, MMAL have released a really good tune, "for me anyway", my CEL was in reference to a Map Sensor.

So today I was back to MRT and what they did was combined the new MMAL update(after analysing it for differences from stocker) with my personal MRT Tune and to develop a new tune with all official MMAL updates just for me.

I would then conclude that EcuTek gives a possible 100% access to all areas.

I was actually pretty happy/surprised with the update but when I left MRT this afternoon and drove back home I was really, really, really HAPPY.

The tune FOR ME is much better than ChipIt, it is not as peaky, the power spread is all over the range, the car is much more drivable and the torque is definitely on hand, much, much earlier and comes in with a bigger punch and being used in gobs full more so than ChipIt.

This is serious, when I had ChipIt, SB was always on Green, it was hopeless when off, much slower to get moving(I have my theory why). With EcuTek I dont turn SB on because the acceleration is too much for the passengers and my new mud tyres, more the tyres :) .

//side note: Kwjibo has spent time with BornGeek so god knows what they have done, so yes in some instances I reckon Kwji could have been faster than fridgie, but it would be a borngeek tune and other mods which may have helped. Hmmmmmm, fridgie has your exhaust been done ?

Fridgie, I would like to apply some of my maths to your chart to see if I can some comparatives with mine on different dyno's.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby fridgie on Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:26 pm

nah mate, apart from what was done with the tune everything else is completely stock standard.

go for it with the maths, could be interesting to see what you come up with :D

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby mad992 on Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:41 pm

ok this thread is getting exciting now, iam listening iam listening 8-)
mad992

Postby Steane on Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:55 pm

daryn wrote:The tune FOR ME is much better than ChipIt, it is not as peaky, the power spread is all over the range, the car is much more drivable and the torque is definitely on hand, much, much earlier and comes in with a bigger punch and being used in gobs full more so than ChipIt.

This is serious, when I had ChipIt, SB was always on Green, it was hopeless when off, much slower to get moving(I have my theory why). With EcuTek I dont turn SB on because the acceleration is too much for the passengers and my new mud tyres, more the tyres :) .

Thanks Daryn, that is the sort of info/feedback I've been waiting for. I'm going to book in with Brett, it's a good excuse for my next Melb - Syd road trip. Make sure I have a day or two up my sleeve and am happy with the tune they setup before I head back.
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NTBB on Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:07 pm

Dayrn did your dealer say if they will reflash without symptons :?:
NTBB

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical