ChipIt & EcuTek Discussion

Re: ChipIt & EcuTek Discussion

Postby daryn on Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:35 pm

Forgot to add to my post/story:

Motto: Tell dealer to not touch ECU or be prepared for tuner visit.

After I picked mine up Brett from MRT made direct contact with Klosters to discuss what happened so that they had all the background info before I arrived.

Also, I will add just like I said elsewhere and I can point you to my posts which I stand by, the ChipIt is the best performing power wise piggy back I reckon in my experience(for the $ I paid - DP210 Tune4 at $365), when my truck hit 170km/hr it just wanted to keep going and quickly. But the majority of my driving is 0 to 80 and off road.

If ya's go back to the first lithgow trip report thread and the videos of me going through the wombat holes you will hear that I was on and off the throttle, that is because I needed the SB on to have instant torque/power on hand, now I dont, it is there better than before so hence no SB needed as much so I can drive off road smoother now.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby trouble on Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:46 pm

ok Daryn how much for your SB then......remember it's used. ;)
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby daryn on Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:55 pm

trouble wrote:ok Daryn how much for your SB then......remember it's used. ;)

$995 for you ;)
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Diddy on Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:37 am

daryn wrote:

$995 for you ;)

That's cheap
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Postby Diddy on Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:38 am

You are to late mate I already submitted an offer
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Postby trouble on Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:50 am

DiD Power wrote:

You are to late mate I already submitted an offer

you can have it Hobbit I dont want to make you angry. :lol:
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby borngeek on Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:00 am

NTBB wrote:Geek I was told they have access to about 15% of the ecu
My gains were 27% Im not good at math this is what the tuner told me.
My reasons for getting this tune was that it preformed better than the chip in the low down and was safer + writing the egr out sold it , so if the reason that my outcome is because of the difference in my motor i think i better cut my losses and trade I fu#kn hope not tho no way could I ever afford to mod a ute like I have this one.

Hey NTBB
I have PMed you but will also add some of what I said here for others.

Firstly I used the word MRT where I should have said EcuTek... MRT are the Sydney supplier and they have agents in other states that distribute their development. Just because you use a agent you should still get similar % gains as you see in MRT's sydney dyno. Note numbers from dyno to dyno will be different % gain is what everyone should look at.

If the tuner is saying 27% I would believe him and at the same time be dissapointed as others with ecutek are getting more. Still its pretty decent to increase power by that much over standard.

My understanding is you are entitled to post sales support and satisfaction and this makes up in part of the wording in their guarantee...

I am positive MRT will talk with their SA agent and share some tunes and advise to them especially seeing they just get some new data from Daryn's vehicle when the dealership wrote over his tune.... Get on the blower and see what they say ;)

Stick with it, you may not get the exact gains of Daryn as I truly stand behind every engine being different in one way or another. The curves on snowies and wallaces are different as well and all three are the same dyno and tuner...

as for exactly how much they can access the ecu.. 15, 20, 100%... still way more than clipping into 1 or 2 signals using a chip. They will be able to do much more with this technology than a chip no doubt about that! :geek:
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MRTbrett on Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:56 am

bottom line here guys is we dont want to start a pissing match

BUT we do offer 100% Guarantee or your money BACK if we dont deliver a better result than ANY AFTERMARKET solution for the DiD turbo.

Brett
MRT
MRTbrett

Re: exhaust or chip

Postby SecondEye on Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:01 pm

I dont know much about the MRT tune but the chipit chip allows an increase in the boost. I dont believe there isnt any other chip maker that allows this feature.

I would go chip to as its easier to convince the gfriend/wife after that you need a new exhaust to prevent high EGT damage to the engine. Dont know what EGT is, chipit has info on their website along with various forums when searched on newtriton.net
SecondEye

Postby GWOUD on Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:45 pm

Go for the Ecutek mod, as its an adjustment/mod of the standard Mitsubishi ECU that came with the new car and some guru adjusts the parameters inside the ECU to give you the best out of your car. Nothing new or modified. They put the car on the Dyno, run it up, and chart the results. They then do there black magic stuff, (smarter people can explain this better than I. ) and you get a much better performance out of the car. The same Guys making the EVO rally cars perform better, can now do the same to our 4x4s. Even though you are sold a car quoted @ 131kw, you actually get a car with 79kw @ the back wheels. Give the Guru's some cash and your car, and you get back the same car, with 93 kws @ the back wheels and a great car to drive. This is how I solved my turbo lag issues after going to bigger tyres. Best money I've ever spend on mine. I used S&J performance in Edwardstown, Adelaide & during my discussions with Sean I requested a tune for reliability & economy as more important than grunt & I'm very happy with the all round drive ability of my work came play Triton. I've just had Cross Country 4x4 fit a bigger intercooler (+ a bigger transcooler) to my 2010 MN auto and its was Dyno @ 108 Kws (a 15kw increase), no ECU adjustment yet and it flys. Very, very happy!
I'll wait until I can afford to do the bigger exhaust and then I'll get the ECU adjusted again By S&J's. You never know I might get the 131kws I originally though I was getting when I bought it.
Reality check - dreams are free, car mods cost!
GWOUD

Postby Tony on Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:02 am

GWOUD wrote:Go for the Ecutek mod, as its an adjustment/mod of the standard Mitsubishi ECU that came with the new car and some guru adjusts the parameters inside the ECU to give you the best out of your car. Nothing new or modified. They put the car on the Dyno, run it up, and chart the results. They then do there black magic stuff, (smarter people can explain this better than I. ) and you get a much better performance out of the car. The same Guys making the EVO rally cars perform better, can now do the same to our 4x4s. Even though you are sold a car quoted @ 131kw, you actually get a car with 79kw @ the back wheels. Give the Guru's some cash and your car, and you get back the same car, with 93 kws @ the back wheels and a great car to drive. This is how I solved my turbo lag issues after going to bigger tyres. Best money I've ever spend on mine. I used S&J performance in Edwardstown, Adelaide & during my discussions with Sean I requested a tune for reliability & economy as more important than grunt & I'm very happy with the all round drive ability of my work came play Triton. I've just had Cross Country 4x4 fit a bigger intercooler (+ a bigger transcooler) to my 2010 MN auto and its was Dyno @ 108 Kws (a 15kw increase), no ECU adjustment yet and it flys. Very, very happy!
I'll wait until I can afford to do the bigger exhaust and then I'll get the ECU adjusted again By S&J's. You never know I might get the 131kws I originally though I was getting when I bought it.
Reality check - dreams are free, car mods cost!

They must have only just released this intercooler? Is a PWR unit from what I can gather. Very good gains on just an I/C upgrade. Never seen this before on a mild tune. ;)
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rhodes96 on Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:23 pm

Having had the ecutek done on a previous vehicle from MRT and comparing it to a plug in modules, The remapping is superior. Remapping can fine tune the ecu to the cars mods to a fine resolution that the plug ins simply cannot. The plug ins are normally just generic generated parameters which do not suit every vehicle. Yes you can do some home tuning if you have egt sensor to monitor engine gas temps etc. Yes you can take it to places who will do a proper tune for you to the best of the plug ins ability. I believe the ones for the triton are of the interceptor styles. These are the most unreliable type especially if you have a self learning ecu like the triton does. From time to time the ecu will do things the interceptor plugs ins do not like, which can result in all sorts of wierd behaviour that the plug in guys will be pulling their hair out trying to diagnose.

Price wise is another story. Ecutek can be an expensive product, especially if you take into consideration dyno tuning. Fortunatley the triton is not a 300kw atw subaru :) , so mods are normally just exhaust and or intake so hopefully lot less time needs to be spent on fine tuning the generic maps.

Another important aspect is support. DO NOT PURCHASE A PRODUCT IF YOU CANNOT GET SUPPORT !

Good support is very important, because when you have an issue being able to sort it out as soon as possible is the key to less stress motoring. Stay away from the cheapy plug in ebay modules ! I know ecutek is well supported with places like MRT and S&J automotive, and CHIP IT have some good local support as well.

As far as exhaust or chip goes, I would definatley do the exhaust mod and any other bolt on mod first, then forget the chip and go straight to a remap.
rhodes96

Postby rhodes96 on Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:38 pm

The dealer can't wipe your tunes, but the dealer can upload a revison to the ecu map which alters the oem parameters. This will have an effect on your current tune settings as the interceptor is still sending out same signals for the old tune.

The ecu's self relearn can effect an interceptor chip module, fuel consumption meter reading etc. I have witnessed previously on a petrol vehciles, interceptor modules sending signal to add more timing, ecu see's this and starts to retard timing. Interceptor is telling ecu to add boost, ecu sees this and starts to limit boost, and throw a code and go into limp mode.

The reason I say mods before tune, so you limit the cost of tuning to a desired one time event.

With the remap no need for a Sprint booster as fine tuning of electronic throttle response is achievable.
There is a heap of things that ecutec remap can do that have not been described properly on this forum yet.
Monitoring software, multiple maps, user tune, etc.
rhodes96

Postby killa on Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:00 pm

rhodes96 wrote:There is a heap of things that ecutec remap can do that have not been described properly on this forum yet.
Tell us more then Rhodes96.

I'm looking into the EcuTek tune at the moment. Closest place to get it done is Cairns, some 4.5 hours away. Big ask to shell out so much $$ and take a day off to get done..
Cheers,

Cal
killa

Postby Homer on Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:28 pm

The dealer can and does change the ecutek tune when performing normal factory upgrades. You will then have to have it re-done.

My option would def be chip it chip with EGR blank without doubt - the egr blank being the single most important thing you need to do to your engine.
If the performance mod doesn't allow you to do this blank without the possibility of limp modes or CEL's then it's simply not good enough.

IMO.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby GWOUD on Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:30 pm

My concern was to always keep the car original and an Ecutek ECU remap achieves that. The Guru's have just given me the car that I should've got from the factory. I dont know what a limp home mode is because it has never happened! I can't have problems with the dealers because it is the same car they supplied when I forked over my hard earned. The bigger intercooler came about, because they needed a car to do their prototype development with, we do business together, & I was going on holidays. Win /win for both parties. The wicked witch has canned the exhaust upgrade for the moment, but it will come & then the final ECU remap & i should be able to leave it at that. A very capable all purpose car! I agree we rhodes69 about having good support is important, as I have S&J 400 metres down the road from the shop and Cross Country in the same suburb.
GWOUD

Postby rhodes96 on Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:49 pm

If your thinking about ecutek, do all your mods first, as retunes for mods added on can be an add up in $ depending on mods and dyno time.
User tune, and multiple maps can be done via delta dash. Delta dash is software to read oem ecu and make your own custom tunes. This can be done via laptop or via in car din unit. In car unit works similar to scanguage / ultraguage except you can adjust tune parameters like ecu reset, boost adjustment, map switching, etc.

Newer MN 2.5's with variable geometry turbo should work well with ecutek especially with the ability to control boost in every gear and the abilty (if you have the supporting mods) to have a nice big long torque curve.
rhodes96

Postby Homer on Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:58 pm

GWOUD wrote:My concern was to always keep the car original and an Ecutek ECU remap achieves that. The Guru's have just given me the car that I should've got from the factory. I dont know what a limp home mode is because it has never happened! I can't have problems with the dealers because it is the same car they supplied when I forked over my hard earned. The bigger intercooler came about, because they needed a car to do their prototype development with, we do business together, & I was going on holidays. Win /win for both parties. The wicked witch has canned the exhaust upgrade for the moment, but it will come & then the final ECU remap & i should be able to leave it at that. A very capable all purpose car! I agree we rhodes69 about having good support is important, as I have S&J 400 metres down the road from the shop and Cross Country in the same suburb.

I agree with you Daryn. Things are getting a bit out of hand with comparisons.

But I think there needs to be a couple of points made...

THESE CARS REQUIRE EGR BLANKING. That is a full blank - not a plate with a hole or a reduced duration of it being open.

That then causes limp modes and CEL's in std Tritons.

A chip (possibly brand specific) is the only option that I know of to completely blank the EGR and eliminate these limp modes - so zero carbon (the biggest problem with these particular engines) and no limp issues.

Chips are removable in minutes if/when std look is required.

Tunes are also an effective performance upgrade and keep the car looking std as well. The tunes can be wiped accidentally by the dealer though.

The exhaust is not required and does little performance wise unless you are going past moderate performance gains.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Kegsy on Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:27 pm

Just to further on what homer has posted, the MN 2.5 can be blanked with no CEL's. I had mine blanked for ages with no CEL's, no problems what so ever. I believe others also have done the same.

The ML 3.2 on the other hand I understand is a little hit and miss on the subject, but can be overcome.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby salt36 on Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:05 pm

rhodes96 wrote:The dealer can't wipe your tunes, but the dealer can upload a revison to the ecu map which alters the oem parameters. This will have an effect on your current tune settings as the interceptor is still sending out same signals for the old tune.

The ecu's self relearn can effect an interceptor chip module, fuel consumption meter reading etc. I have witnessed previously on a petrol vehciles, interceptor modules sending signal to add more timing, ecu see's this and starts to retard timing. Interceptor is telling ecu to add boost, ecu sees this and starts to limit boost, and throw a code and go into limp mode.

The reason I say mods before tune, so you limit the cost of tuning to a desired one time event.

With the remap no need for a Sprint booster as fine tuning of electronic throttle response is achievable.
There is a heap of things that ecutec remap can do that have not been described properly on this forum yet.

Sorry Daryn but the above is misleading........

As killa said ' tell us more Rhodes'

OK I have mates with Lancers and other cars, these are tuned and flashed and when they pick up their car from the dealer after a service the smoke billows from the ears, cause the dealer has flashed the ECU and wiped the tuned version...... The OEM parameters :roll: are exactly what these guys tune for performance.

The ECU learn on a petrol affects ONLY the injector latency and I daresay the same would happen for a diesel.

The ECU uses timing from several maps on a petrol mostly low and high octane, the ONLY time a petrol ECU will change the timing map is when 'knock' is detected, the ECU will then switch to a lower octane ignition map; it will retard the timing to protect the engine from detonation, once the knock clears the ECU will then switch back to the high octane map, advancing the ignition once more.

The 'interceptor' type chips give the ECU information to 'trick' (if you like) the ECU into thinking the situation demands a certain ignition and fuel map, therefore the engine is blessed with a wider spark dwell, increased injector latency, advanced timing........ The ECU will 'learn' what the driver does during this situation and adjust the injector latency slightly (compared to what the chip asks for) according to how often the driver floors it or part throttles in second gear/third gear etc......

The fuel consumption reading is a seperate part of the ECU which analyses all things current such as speed, gear, rpm, throttle position etc and displays a calculated figure by the formula it was told to. The ECU cannot alter this formula, unless the tuner decides it is incorrect and can create a new formula for the fuel consumption to use for its ongoing calculations, I have never seen this done.......

As far as I am aware none of the tuners have delved into re calibrating the throttle like the Sprint Booster does. it is a voltage dependant device and the sprint Booster multiplies the voltages to tell the throttle motor to act quicker, nothing to do with the ECU, oh except for the throttle position sensor.....

How do I know all this ?

Because I am doing it :twisted:
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:32 pm

rhodes96 wrote:The dealer can't wipe your tunes, but the dealer can upload a revison to the ecu map which alters the oem parameters. This will have an effect on your current tune settings as the interceptor is still sending out same signals for the old tune.

Umm, yes I'm afraid they can wipe your tunes. If they reflash your ecu (as they frequently do these days), then your tune is gone and you have to head back to MRT or whoever and get it re-loaded. I am aware of at least 3 Tritons (belonging to forum members) where this has occurred.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby rhodes96 on Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:25 pm

The above was refering to the dealer cannot wipe your interceptor chip tunes. The comments have been moderater altered when merging threads.
To clarify yes the dealer can wipe your re map tune if the ecu is unlocked. In which case it appears mitsubishi ecutek remaps are unlocked.(I will 100% clarify this next week) I know previously some other vehicles that had the remap had there ecu's locked which pissed off a lot cutomers as they were not able to unlock the ecu and were not able to use other brands of ecu read / write software after ecutek.

Salt I am not misleading anybody!

I gave my opinion on what I think. What you reccomend is great and I am happy for you.
The interceptors have come along way, especially the chip it module which now comes with the map sensor plugs so no more splicing and is a true plug and play interceptor. I still stand by what I say about the re map in my opinion, being a better option.
There are new options for the remap which I am not familar with yet, but I will speak to Brett from MRT next week and get the run down on all the new features for the triton.
Last edited by rhodes96 on Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rhodes96

Postby snowman on Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:28 pm

rhodes96 wrote: but I will speak to Brett from MRT next week and get the run down on all the new features for the triton.

ask him if there is any more news about the USB option that was rumoured with varying tunes that the customer could load.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rhodes96 on Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:31 pm

snowman wrote:
rhodes96 wrote: but I will speak to Brett from MRT next week and get the run down on all the new features for the triton.

ask him if there is any more news about the USB option that was rumoured with varying tunes that the customer could load.

Will do.
rhodes96

Postby fridgie on Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:36 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:

Umm, yes I'm afraid they can wipe your tunes. If they reflash your ecu (as they frequently do these days), then your tune is gone and you have to head back to MRT or whoever and get it re-loaded. I am aware of at least 3 Tritons (belonging to forum members) where this has occurred.

I would be one of those members ;)

Had mine in for a service and update was accidentally performed on my car, jumped in and noticed something but as I have work vehicle wasn't sure. A bit of driving later and the realization dawned on me I was driving a slug :roll:

Got it re-tuned and my baby was back again :twisted: :mrgreen:

So yes, ecutek can definitely be written over by your dealer.
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical