Dual Battery choice

Re: Dual Battery choice

Postby GeoffLoz on Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:12 am

I have an AGM battery in the tub, it was being charged by an isolator, but that was not ideal. My sparky had a secondhand Redarc DC-DC at a price I could not pass up; so I installed that and disconnected the isolator.

Doing this myself, I found that DC - DC is the best setup (no voltage drop issue, cable choice is cheaper), the only concern is the right cable to the battery charging (can only be 600mm - 1 metre) from Redarc DC - DC charger.

If I was to run a battery in my camper trailer (which I am), I would use the anderson plug setup from second battery, to a DC - DC charger in the trailer, set up the same way as the tub in the MN. Once at camp, I would disconnect to save second battery discharge.

Re: anderson power...I have run from both (starter battery under the car, through chassis/brake lines, as I run an air compressor and dislike popping the bonnet to power. It seems like overkill now, but I can connect solar panels to either and charge, so will leave as it is. If I was in your position, I would just run the anderson plug from your second battery - as the CTEK (if the same as Redarc) will take a lower voltage and charge at appropriate charge. I have tried this to test the second hand Redarc, and it worked fine. All cables are fused with 40 amp midi fuses - at both batteries. Even anderson plugs installed in my setup are fused, as I do not want my dog to die from fire.

I was lucky getting a Redarc charger for a third of the price, and setting it up was easy. I will hunt for another one for the trailer; but am not in a hurry - as I am super busy with work for the first part of the year.

Hope this helps
GeoffLoz

Postby timwilli99 on Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:33 am

GeoffLoz wrote:I have an AGM battery in the tub, it was being charged by an isolator, but that was not ideal. My sparky had a secondhand Redarc DC-DC at a price I could not pass up; so I installed that and disconnected the isolator.

Doing this myself, I found that DC - DC is the best setup (no voltage drop issue, cable choice is cheaper), the only concern is the right cable to the battery charging (can only be 600mm - 1 metre) from Redarc DC - DC charger.

If I was to run a battery in my camper trailer (which I am), I would use the anderson plug setup from second battery, to a DC - DC charger in the trailer, set up the same way as the tub in the MN. Once at camp, I would disconnect to save second battery discharge.

Re: anderson power...I have run from both (starter battery under the car, through chassis/brake lines, as I run an air compressor and dislike popping the bonnet to power. It seems like overkill now, but I can connect solar panels to either and charge, so will leave as it is. If I was in your position, I would just run the anderson plug from your second battery - as the CTEK (if the same as Redarc) will take a lower voltage and charge at appropriate charge. I have tried this to test the second hand Redarc, and it worked fine. All cables are fused with 40 amp midi fuses - at both batteries. Even anderson plugs installed in my setup are fused, as I do not want my dog to die from fire.

I was lucky getting a Redarc charger for a third of the price, and setting it up was easy. I will hunt for another one for the trailer; but am not in a hurry - as I am super busy with work for the first part of the year.

Hope this helps

Thanks Geoff!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
2011 MN Triton GLX-R, purchased Dec 2013
White, Styleside, TJM Rear Bar, 2" Ultimate Lift, Cooper STMAxx 265/70r17
Other mods to come
timwilli99

Postby Drobbo73 on Wed May 10, 2017 11:43 am

tondo12 wrote:This has probably been asked before i apologize now.
I want to get a ArkPak for the tray, and have that as my 2nd battery with isolator and that
Has anyone done this before, or does anyway know if it will work the same as a dual battery?
Having the arkpak would benefit more int he long run.

How did you go with the ArkPak install? I was thinking of doing the same
Drobbo73

Postby Pearcie45 on Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:23 pm

Didnt want to start a new thread so I'm going to ask in here. I've just installed a dual battery tray and am in the process of wiring the 2nd battery. Any tips on where to squeeze in the 2 fuses for the batteries as well as the VSR?
MN MY13 GLX-R - Silver - Rear Diff Lock - Rhino Lining Tub Liner - GME TX3100 UHF - Tinted Bonnet Protector - Basha 3mm Bash Plates
Pearcie45

Previous

Return to Electrical