EGR problems & Oil catch can now installed

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: EGR problems & Oil catch can now installed

Postby new44 on Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:45 pm

I agree snowman.

I would be guessing less than a spoon of oil in a 1000 K`s.
Most, if not all the contents through the venting system would be in a gaseous state.

We have run a 450 hp V8 892 detroit and a 450 hp old cummins straight 19 litre diesel at work for many years with vents straight to the ground. The cummins strangely enough has three vents which hardly make a mark on the ground after 150 hours of operation. The older high revving two stroke detroit diesel used to blacken an area about the size of an A4 paper sheet from 50 cm`s above the ground in the same time. Certainly no dripping or running of oil is ever seen.

The 3.2 DiD engine would have higher tolerances than our old engines at work and you should expect bugger all oil to exit through the venting system.

Just my view any how.

Having said that I am still concerned about Mitsubishi designing an engine that feeds crap into the system
to cause reliability problems.
:geek:
new44

Postby sierra on Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:58 pm

It is only a small amount of oil but it's the last thing you want feeding onto the hot compressor and baking onto it's blades every time you turn the engine off and the heat soaks through from the turbine. Mine has 2,500km on the clock and the hose is already wet with oil.
I agree it's only a small volume and that's why one of those small filters I mentioned might be ideal fgor venting to atmosphere without any residue, however small?
The hose is a weird size. I measured 14mm ID for the hose and 15 - 17mm OD for the fittings, 17mm to the locking flare.
Those filters are 12mm for the Repco $10 offering and about $12.50 for the Super Cheap one that has several adapters.
If one would fit you could put it straight on the rocker cover outlet and it would be hidden under the plastic engine cover.
Then you just need to blank the inlet hose with something guaranteed to never ever go down the hose to meet the compressor on full song!
sierra

Postby CCM on Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:01 pm

The Inlet vacum won't overcome the weight of the oil - Atleast I've never seen it happen on any of the engines I've built, driven or raced... Seperately if the filtration system in the catch can is up to sratch it would /should never make it to to the inlet anyway

Venting to atmosphere and blanking the inlet hose is definately an option if thats your preference, I just personally perfer not to...

Just my 2c anyways....
I bought a new Turbo Diesel Ute to tow my two toys, now the Ute takes all my time n money! crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap
CCM

Postby sierra on Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:41 pm

After reading up a bit more on this I can see the need to evacuate the fumes from the crankcase to stop acids from combustion[blow by] contaminating the engine oil. As long as the catch can is efficient in trapping the liquids from the fumes then it sounds the best solution fitted in the existing circuit. I wouldn't want any of the waste trapped to go into my sump so would simply drain the thing once in a while.
sierra

Postby Homer on Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:06 pm

Beetroot can
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby CCM on Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:14 pm

Homer wrote:Beetroot can

Price check isle 5! :D
I bought a new Turbo Diesel Ute to tow my two toys, now the Ute takes all my time n money! crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap
CCM

Postby mlee76 on Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:55 pm

Now that I have a scanguage I can tell you that the code causing the engine light to come and go periodically after the EGR valve was blocked was P0106 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Range/Performance Problem. Since I reset the fault code it has not reappeared. Not sure why. Just makes me think that there may be a second pressure sensor possibly in the egr valve itself. But it doesn't make sense that it hasn't come on again.
mlee76

Postby Eelesy on Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:43 pm

Whats the conclusion Boosted?? have you been collecting much oil in the catch can u put in?
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby Homer on Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:10 pm

I hope not or your rings are rooted, it should be mainly oily fumes.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby boostedbmw on Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:19 pm

nah mate, bugger all actually. Also the subaru cleaner i used has not had any adverse effect either. i cant notice any positive or negative results with the catch can, EGR blocking plate or with the catch can. All i can hope for is that when the KM's clock up i will still have a gunk free intake manifold.
It's easier to get forgivness than permission.
boostedbmw

Postby ML-VR08 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:24 pm

I will be round at 4.30 mate to have a look at the plate etc... see you then!
ML-VR08

Postby vroom on Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:44 pm

With a new 3,2, I would like to sort out this problem, how about connecting a compressor type moisture trap inline, which is a glass housing installed vertically, with the outlet at the top, with a bleed valve to let any trapped liquids be expelled.
vroom

Postby sierra on Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:56 pm

vroom wrote:With a new 3,2, I would like to sort out this problem, how about connecting a compressor type moisture trap inline, which is a glass housing installed vertically, with the outlet at the top, with a bleed valve to let any trapped liquids be expelled.

Sounds perfect as long as you can take it off and clean it because this gunge will stick harder than water with some compressor oil mixed in. Even better if you can find one with a filter to trap the acid vapour too. If you find something let us know, a pic would be good too.
sierra

Postby vroom on Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:39 am

I got one from bunnings for $13. about 75mm tall by 25mm diamater, it has got a small stone type filter at the top outlet, easy to pull apart, this unit is designed to take high pressure air, so should easily cope.

Sorry, I am not set up for photos yet.

Cheers
vroom

Postby sierra on Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:08 am

That's cheap enough!
How about the connection to the existing hose, it's big and an odd size?
sierra

Postby 85HiluxSR5 on Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:32 am

vroom wrote:I got one from bunnings for $13. about 75mm tall by 25mm diamater, it has got a small stone type filter at the top outlet, easy to pull apart, this unit is designed to take high pressure air, so should easily cope.

Sorry, I am not set up for photos yet.

Cheers

set up a photobucket.com account, they will host pics and vids for free which you can inturn link to your posts in the forum,
very keen on seeing anf getting what you have if this will stop the gunk/sludge/carbon buildup
85HiluxSR5

Postby Stu on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:13 pm

I don't know anything about this sort of stuff but am slowly reading away trying to understand it as I'm going to block my egr soon enough, but could you vent it into the exhaust behind the turbo? and then any oil residue would just burn up?
If god didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food
Stu

Postby Homer on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:21 pm

I know I have a petrol and keep butting in on this subject and what I am suggesting is not the done thing, and is environmentally unsound and everything else that's bad and naughty, but if it was me, I would have the hose venting happily to atmosphere - or a beetroot can - until I figured out a more environmental solution.

The problem is you are gumming up your compressor and potentially causing major carbon problems in your engine while talking about and trying to sort out an extremely minor complication.

The oil that comes out of the breather I think will be 2 fifths of f*ck all.
Probably wouldn't even oil up your engine bay in a month. It isn't rocket surgery to deal with the oil - there is none (virtually) only enough to carbon up a red hot compressor chamber. A tin, can, trap, anything will take care of the oil marvelously.

The real environmental issue is the fumes - and catch cans wont fix that at all. On that side of things I would be weighing up engine problems or the environment while looking for a vapor filter solution.

I know what I would do.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby snowman on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:32 pm

homer,

not sure i have read this correctly but somewhere i read the main problem with achieving the Euro emissions is the COLD startup (within 90secs?) emissions. Once the motor is warm all is ok.

now i am no tree hugging greeny by any imagination but i am also not an environmental vandal. To me the minimial impact from my motor whilst cold is two parts of a baby bees penile length and not a concern.

in fact if you look at the environmental costs of making additional replacing/parts/cost of works etc to repair these things due to reduced servicability, it is probably worse than the cold start problem. Sometimes we have our heads up our arses so far we lose sight of the big picture. How do you reckon the emissions will be on those new Indian manufactured 'cheapest car in the world'!? it will easily become the highest sold vehicle in the world making it a far higher environmental vandal than a few blocked EGR's.

i have no faith in Mits about this because i will bet my left test tickle that they have asked the question a hundred times internally "will this carbon problem occur during warranty?" Answer - seems like NO. and they CANNOT condone the block off but from all reports dont seem to penalise it either.

mini rant over.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:53 pm

Stu wrote:I don't know anything about this sort of stuff but am slowly reading away trying to understand it as I'm going to block my egr soon enough, but could you vent it into the exhaust behind the turbo? and then any oil residue would just burn up?

I think you would pressurize the line and actually end up pumping the exhaust back into your engine through the vent tube mate. That's my guess

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Homer on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:57 pm

Totally agree Snowy and that's what I was alluding to from way back.

Just vent the f*cken' thing to stop killing your engine and sort out how to capture the miniscule oil and vapor at your best speed.

Beetroot tin.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby snowman on Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:12 pm

agreed.

do you think i should colour code the beetroot tin, black, white or the same as the flares.....? :lol: :lol:
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 85HiluxSR5 on Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:17 pm

you guys are confusing the hell out of me lol....

can i just pay one of u local guys to set me up with somthing???

nah but seriously will a catch can stop the carbon buildup and stop the problems you guys are talking about cos i might just go to a mechanic and get them to fit one up as my knowledge is very limited with motors, i can change broken diffs and replace most things like suspension etc myself but have always gone to a mechanic for anything other than servicing which il do myself
85HiluxSR5

Postby vroom on Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:17 am

Same question really, as an interim method, I have disconnected that pipe coming from from the tappet cover at the air filter side so that it is hanging loose, and capped off the end T piece where it feeds into the turbo, seems to run normally, is this ok ?. Please confirm that I have done the right thing,
vroom

Postby vroom on Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:50 am

Please could someone confirm that I have done the right thing, as a fair bit of smoke comes out of the loose pipe from the top cover, even a yes or no would do.

Thanks
vroom

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components