Leaking Turbo

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Leaking Turbo

Postby variflex on Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:37 pm

I would suggest not condemning a turbocharger simply due to oil leaking from it,
A failed turbocharger is generally a worst case scenario in which the majority of oil leak stem from an external cause
There are a number of reasons which can cause a turbocharger to leak oil, have a browse of the file attached and as Har05L stated above work with your dealer, ultimately if the turbocharger is faulty they will come to the party
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
variflex

Postby arobbo67 on Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:49 pm

Yeah, I'm not gunning for them about it (yet), I am just more amazed that their 'Fix' for the problem is 'wash it down', when if I took a car in to them for Roadworthy they would knock it back. But as you said, I will keep reminding them about it everytime I go in for a service.
Robbo.

Being cremated will be my last chance at having a smoking hot body....
arobbo67
Platinum Subscriber

Postby donks1 on Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:15 pm

Yes, take it easy with your dealer, but it is also, as stated above, a roadworthy issue. And there for has to be fixed. The fact that Mits don't do a seal kit, is their problem. ( Most manufacturers don't ). If it was leaking rocker cover onto manifold, rego fail until it was fixed. It's no different.
Mention it again, and it will get done at some point. Just make sure each time you bring it up with them, it's recorded on the job card.
Steve
donks1

Postby kxboss on Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:22 pm

Mine is similar to the pics but worse and at less than 5k from last service, told them I could smell oil in the cab. Told me they couldnt find it that was Gateway Mitsu in Fairy Meadow

Booked in with Tynans Mitsu in Kirrawee Friday to see what is the problem.

Am about to punt the Gateway Group piss poor performance on nearly every service.
kxboss

Postby Tony on Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:28 pm

Some oil weeping is normal but oil dripping is certainly not.

Have any of these problem vehicles got a catch can of prevent fitted? Restricting the PCV in any way will result in positive crank case pressure which then backs up the turbo drain pipe in effect.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Toddyh on Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:22 pm

No provent on mine
Toddyh

Postby Jacks Home on Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:26 pm

Always noticed an oil weep around turbo on my 06/2010 MN model (owned from new) and just mentioned the fact when dropped off for 60000km service couple of weeks ago. When I picked the car up they told me turbo needed to be replaced under warranty. They said it was a common issue and the new turbo has been redesigned by manufacturer. Paper work they gave me stated for diagnosis " Outer housing washers incorrect causing lack of tension. Remove and replace turbo" I'm happy have 4 year old car and brand new turbo.
Jacks Home

Postby har05l on Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:42 pm

Jacks Home wrote:Always noticed an oil weep around turbo on my 06/2010 MN model (owned from new) and just mentioned the fact when dropped off for 60000km service couple of weeks ago. When I picked the car up they told me turbo needed to be replaced under warranty. They said it was a common issue and the new turbo has been redesigned by manufacturer. Paper work they gave me stated for diagnosis " Outer housing washers incorrect causing lack of tension. Remove and replace turbo" I'm happy have 4 year old car and brand new turbo.

This is how and why mine was done but I'd clocked closer to 130k km's :D
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby arobbo67 on Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:20 am

No provent or catchcan on mine either.
Robbo.

Being cremated will be my last chance at having a smoking hot body....
arobbo67
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kxboss on Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:49 am

Mine is bog standard
kxboss

Postby kxboss on Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:36 am

Tynand told me that the seal is faulty and that a small number of machined surfaces are not quite right and causes the seal to leak, replacent turbo required under warranty.
kxboss

Postby kxboss on Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:26 pm

Turbo replaced under warranty
kxboss

Postby GazzaGLXR on Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:05 pm

2012 MN 2.5 GLXR Triton - noticed oil around Turbo and locations around. Off to a Dealer to have rectified only to be told that a circular from Mitsubishi ( which I was shown) indicates that oil leakage from my turbo is considered acceptable What - they have to be kidding!!! Oil leaking and making a mess under the bonnet is acceptable!!! Please. Anyone else had experience with this , especially with Mitsubishi Australia? Suggested course of action on my behalf? :x
GazzaGLXR

Postby coughy on Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:21 pm

GazzaGLXR wrote:2012 MN 2.5 GLXR Triton - noticed oil around Turbo and locations around. Off to a Dealer to have rectified only to be told that a circular from Mitsubishi ( which I was shown) indicates that oil leakage from my turbo is considered acceptable What - they have to be kidding!!! Oil leaking and making a mess under the bonnet is acceptable!!! Please. Anyone else had experience with this , especially with Mitsubishi Australia? Suggested course of action on my behalf? :x

put a catch can on and it wont leak any more
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GazzaGLXR on Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:00 pm

Still under warranty so Mitsubishi should take action to rectify. Hardly satisfactory for them to condone an oil leak. Looking at this thread it can be a roadworthy issue. No doubt a day after it is out of warranty they would suggest turbo requires replacement!!!
GazzaGLXR

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:43 am

How bad is the leak? I gather they judge a small amount of weeping to be acceptable. Is yours a lot worse than that?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Krossbain on Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:27 pm

My 11 /09 MN always seems to have a black sooty area around turbo, a bit of degreaser every service cleans it up , no oil but annoying all the same, noone seems to think its a prob as its not getting worse but a bit of a leak there... SPV mod but no catch can...130000k and out of warranty
You get what you pay for... thats if your lucky!!
Krossbain
Platinum Subscriber

Postby coughy on Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:48 pm

Krossbain wrote:My 11 /09 MN always seems to have a black sooty area around turbo, a bit of degreaser every service cleans it up , no oil but annoying all the same, noone seems to think its a prob as its not getting worse but a bit of a leak there... SPV mod but no catch can...130000k and out of warranty

put a catch can on there getting cheap buy a good one and see if the oil goes away after the next service??
mine did no more oil for me now...
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Krossbain on Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:04 pm

Thanks..will look into one :)
You get what you pay for... thats if your lucky!!
Krossbain
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Danos on Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:17 am

I was having a look at the installation for a catch can and noticed an oil leak on the turbo. Sounds like the same issue discussed here.

2014 MN with 70k

I'll drop it in and see what Mitsu say. Still under warranty.

Can the oil flow to the intercooler?

Photos for reference.

Left hand side of engine
Click to view larger picture

Front on underneath turbo
Click to view larger picture
Danos

Postby srb on Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:45 pm

Yep MMAL should replace your turbo no question. That's a bad leak and nothing to do with not having an catch can.

Mine was looking the same as that for a year until I got around to a dealer. They cleaned it up said to keep an eye on it for a while.. Took about a week to show signs of weeping oil again... So I made sure it was leaking badly by loosening the bolts around the compressor.. Was dripping oil on drive way at dealership so they finally agreed to replace the turbo under warranty. As they should.
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Danos on Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:59 pm

Can the oil leak backflow down to the intercooler? and should it be removed and cleaned when fixing the turbo problem?
Danos

Postby srb on Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:09 pm

Yeah easy to remove intercooler and wash out with kero.
You'll always have a bit of oil from the pvc going through the intercooler, catch can will stop most of it but not super necessary if you have egr blocked.

srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Danos on Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:20 am

The service center had a look at it and said it was normal. They have cleaned it up for now.

I'm not too happy with the answer so will monitor it for another 5k.

I'm hesitant to fit the catch can because it will mask the problem. Are there any other sources of oil other than the crank case ventilation line?
Danos

Postby srb on Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:36 pm

Yeah they're partly right, it is normal for them to fail and leak like that.

It's a common fault and they know it.. I think it's standard procedure for them to clean it up and say keep an eye on it.
Some of these turbos will still leak oil past the internal seals a bit, so you might find oil getting through into the manifolds even though you have a catch can.. Nothing to worry about.
Mine first turbo used to let oil past but my second one seems much better.

srb
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components