Leaking Turbo

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Leaking Turbo

Postby Danos on Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:46 pm

I have sent a letter through to MMA and the dealer where I bought the car to ask for assistance in getting the leak repaired. Here is the wording of the letter in case anyone else would like to use it. I included photos before and after the service center cleaned it up and then again about 1500km later showing the leak again. As far as I'm concerned they are obligated to repair/replace as per the Aus Consumer Law.

RE: Mitsubishi Triton Turbo Oil Leak Warranty Claim

To Whom It May Concern:

I purchased a Triton in November 2013 from XX Mitsubishi.

In October 2017 I noticed a significant oil leak from the turbo backing plate. The leak was inspected on 30/10/17 by XX Mitsubishi and deemed ‘normal’. The oil residue was cleaned and no further work was carried out.

I am not satisfied with the response by XX Mitsubishi and their reluctance to repair the leak. I have attached photos before the inspection, immediately after the inspection and 1670km after the inspection. I have also attached a copy of the service manual that details the turbo inspection procedure.

Considering the vehicle is under warranty the oil leak should be deemed as a minor failure as detailed in the Competition and Consumer Act 2010. Therefore I am requesting Mitsubishi Motor make arrangements for full repair of the leak. I am aware of a number of other Trion owners who have experienced the same fault to which their service center has replaced the Turbo under warranty. This may be the extent of the repair required in my case.

I would appreciate a response to my concerns before the end of Jan 2018 with the hope that repairs can be completed before the end of Feb 2018.
Danos

Postby carrrake on Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:22 pm

Good onya mate for taking action, hope they sort this for ya.
carrrake
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bigjobs on Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:10 pm

Mentioned exactly this issue when I got my 60k service done yesterday.

Answer = blow-by normal.

Not sure I could be bothered arguing about it.
They degreased my engine bay though, so saved me doing it :roll:
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language
bigjobs

Postby Danos on Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:43 am

Ok so not much movement from MMA on the letter. They said to take it to a different service center.

The new service center has been really helpful. MMA have a structured method for recording the leak involving taking photos. Because the oil was cleaned up they havent been able to justify further work so it will be monitored. I should have a good case for replacement if the leak looks as bad as it did when first discovered.

As the turbo is connected to the engine it is covered by the 10y and 160k powertrain warranty for 1st owners regardless if out of the 5 year warranty.

The turbos were upgraded on models built since Feb 2013 (model 1515A170) identified by the small 'hold down' tabs added on the clamping bolts. This was supposed to rectify the previous turbo leak problems.

At this stage I'm leaving the catch can off in case is hides the leak.
Danos

Previous

Return to Drive Train Components