Difficulty getting into and out of second gear 2011 MN

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Difficulty getting into and out of second gear 2011 MN

Postby unwritt3n on Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:24 am

Hi guys,

I've done a search and checked the directory. Apologies if already covered before.
Had my Triton brand new since 2011.

I've had this ongoing issue for quite some time. I've mentioned it at the last 4ish services. The last service they finally ordered some.parts and 'fixed' it. That seemed to last a week...

Basically, especially when cold, it can be very difficult to engage second. Really gotta push hard... Feels like it gets stuck.

Anyway I seem to be battling hard with my local dealer to diagnose and fix. This morning. It actually did not engage. I had to triple clutch and really force it in.

Last year when I first mentioned it. The dealer said they couldn't replicate it, no issue here!!! Ahhh!!

After this morning. I need to get this fixed. Any suggestions, anyone experienced this? Is there a recall I should know about? Fault number I can quote? Something ?!?! Cheers guys
2011 Mitsubishi MN Triton GLXR Manual
unwritt3n

Re: Difficulty getting into and out of second gear 2011 MN

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:05 am

Your original problem is probably caused by the oil - try a different gearbox oil (nulon, penrite, etc).

You may have a crook synchro.

The parts they replaced -- were they the shift lever pivot bits or did they pull down the whole box?

At any rate, all the gears should be easy to engage, esp with a replacement oil.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby OffRoadDave on Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:12 am

If it helps, the dealer tells me they replaced the oil in my MN gearbox with auto transmission fluid, I have no idea what spec it is but your box sounds identical to how my MY15 came from the factory, when cold it flat out refused to go into 2nd gear, double clutching made no difference, I would just go from 1st to 3rd until I'd been driving for about 10 minutes then after that it was fine. With ATF in the box it's fine when cold.
OffRoadDave

Postby unwritt3n on Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:52 am

Thanks guys.
They did a full pull down. Not exactly sure what they replaced but I'll find out...
unwritt3n

Postby Bammo on Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:00 pm

Mine had same problem but with 3rd not 2nd - took it in for warranty repair and they said it was subject to a recall for this issue(?). Replaced the syncro and gearbox has been perfect ever since...
Bammo

Postby 250sav on Sun May 22, 2016 9:18 pm

Funny, I am halfway through penning an email to Mitsubishi Australia about this exact same problem in my M14 MN GLX.

Going from 1st to 2nd, 3rd to 2nd but now also going into low range.

It is now going in for the 5th time now with the following.

1. Tested couldn't find a fault
2. Blamed it on car mats
3. Replaced 3rd gear synchro
4. Replaced 2nd gear synchro and throw out bearing on clutch

Its incredibly frustrating to be fobbed by these guys at service.

The problem seems to occur more frequently when its cold and when taking off down/uphill.

To the point where you cannot get it into second.
It feels like the clutch isn't engaging at all.

Will see what happens with a firm email to Mitsubishi.
250sav

Postby unwritt3n on Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:12 am

So when they looked at it in April they replaced the 3rd gear synchro. Still an issue. Recently had my 75,000 service and mentioned it again. It's now beyond a joke as it's worse as it's ever been.

After a full day in the shop, they called and said unable to replicate. Bloody bullshit.

Told them well I'll just bring it back the next day. So they said they'll keep it 1extra day.

Anyway that was a waste. Again they said they were unable to replicate. And what I'm describing is "normal" for a Triton.

250sav, keen to know if you've had any luck?
I dunno where to go now.... other than another mechanic and actually pay for something that should be a warranty claim. Which pisses me off.

Any advice guys?
unwritt3n

Postby Crash486 on Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:23 pm

Sit in the car with them , then try another triton with them or just go to another dealership.
Crash486

Postby unwritt3n on Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:46 am

I've sat in the car with them. And all they say is this is normal for a Triton. I think I need to go up to the next level. Is there an email address directly to Mitsubishi for warranty issues? Dunno what to do
unwritt3n

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:07 am

A lot of manuals can be pigs on a cold morning for the first couple of changes, my VC Commodore's 4speed was so bad I went auto next time.

The boxes in these 4bies have much larger components than most cars so the synchros have larger masses to get up to speed, so never going to allow changing like in a rally car, however it shouldn't take any extreme effort to carry out normal gear changes.

First thing I would do is seek out a different dealer. If a mechanic can't sort it in a couple of visits its unlikely he/she will do much better with a couple of further sessions.

I still can't see it being good for gears design to be lubricated by a heavy gear oil be subjected to something thin like auto fluid.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:25 am

Na, that's crap.
My 09 MN had the same issue and is a known problem. Mine refused to change 3rd to 2nd plus very noisy.
The box was stripped down at 120,000km and all bearings and synchro's changed. Changes easily now, although a little tighter when it is cold.
I suggest you drop the vehicle off overnight and take the keys home. Turn up next morning and let the head mechanic take it for a drive when it is stone cold. Make sure you are in the vehicle when he/she does.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:26 am

Have you quoted the hotline fix number at them? I'd probably still try another dealer, but would take that with you.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Krossbain on Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:19 pm

If it only blocks out the gears when cold and gets better its when warm most likely a thinner oil will fix it... if it does it hot than probably gearbox syncro prob... I put a heavier 75w back in my 2009 MN and its blocking now the weather is cold but fine after a few shifts, have a TF rodeo with 420000 hard ks anything heavier in gearbox than the 15w40 RX super it has always run and becomes impossible to shift when cold. Many tractors run a factory gear/hydralic oil mix in transmisson, have a hard life and last a long time... think its just a very annoying trait of some manuals but doesnt affect longevity... I believe a lighter oil would be less harmful than jerking and forcing selectors... just my opinion
Last edited by Krossbain on Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You get what you pay for... thats if your lucky!!
Krossbain
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Krossbain on Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:21 pm

My MN had 3rd gear syncro replaced but a different problem...
Krossbain
Platinum Subscriber

Postby paddstar69 on Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:05 pm

Had the same issue, 2nd to 3rd the gear change was baulking and refused to engage 3rd, with my 2011 4x4. Under warranty at about 50,000km they had the 3rd gear synchro replaced. All good now with 106,000km but i only use full synthetic gear oil it makes a difference during cold running.
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products.p ... oducts=375
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
paddstar69
Platinum Subscriber

Postby unwritt3n on Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:10 am

So dropped it off again this morning. Started off they couldn't fault it. Then started to agree there was some resistance.
Basically said in the end there's not enough here to warrant a gearbox tear down.
I suggested new oil, synchro anything!

They're going to bleed the clutch and flush and put new oil in. I don't have any high hopes here. Off to a different dealership after today I think
unwritt3n

Postby chevute on Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:44 am

Hi unwritt3n have you had any luck sorting the problem? My ute has been doing the same since new 3rd back to 2nd near impossible when it's cold but not to bad when it warms up but still notchy they changed the gearbox oil to a thinner oil in mine was a little better but next service they put original spec oil in again and it's crap again.
I just don't feel that putting in a thinner oil is the fix as it should be able to run the oil that is specified in the book and have no problems, the dealership apparently couldn't fault it last time it was in, it's back there today and mentioned it again so I guess we will see if I get the same response, does anyone know what the proper fix is and the if there is any pitfalls of running thin fluid in the manual long term? I'm guessing they would be using auto fluid.
chevute

Postby destorman on Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:40 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Have you quoted the hotline fix number at them?

As Dave has noted fella's, there is a hotline fix for this ... It is a well known issue, and totally covered by warranty.
The best surfer is the one having the most fun ... :mrgreen:
destorman

Postby chevute on Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:30 pm

Well went and picked the ute up and they said they couldn't replicate the fault , anyway after a brief discussion I quoted the hot line fix number and got the mechanic to come for a drive and I made him change back from 3rd to 2nd , He agreed it does have a fault and is ordering all the 2nd gear bits, so I guess you have to be firm with some dealerships to get know faults fixed.
chevute

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:29 pm

Yeah having the number is like the magic potion sometimes though. At that point they realise they can't bullshit you any more but they'll still get paid to fix it.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby destorman on Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:44 pm

chevute wrote: ... so I guess you have to be firm with some dealerships to get know faults fixed.

Yeah, it's bullshit that it has to come to that ... why can't they be honest? Hell, they get paid to fix it!

Cowboy Dave wrote:Yeah having the number is like the magic potion sometimes though. At that point they realise they can't bullshit you any more but they'll still get paid to fix it.

Exactly. How many consumers are being fobbed off and told total bullshit. The dealers must be getting away with so much due to the unsuspecting general public.

Thankfully we have a source of good info here.
The best surfer is the one having the most fun ... :mrgreen:
destorman

Postby chevute on Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:47 am

Thanks to this great site and people it make getting things fixed a lot easier.
chevute

Postby chevute on Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:01 pm

Well got the ute back from the dealership and it's no better than before if anything its worse while its cold anyone else had this problem ? If so what fixed it , any help would be appreciated.
chevute

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:51 pm

They probably stuck the cheapest bulk oil in the fixed box.

I'd firstly try and verify what stuff they filled it with and perhaps feed back the new symptoms.

Give em the opportunity to implement their QA procedure. :lol: :idea:

For the next step, ( or skip the above ), I'd replace the oil with a good oil (Nulon smooth shift, etc ) and the recommended dose of Nylon G70 additive. This should transform the box's behaviour into a much nicer bit of gear.

Good luck
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Krossbain on Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:24 am

RHKTriton wrote:They probably stuck the cheapest bulk oil in the fixed box.

I'd firstly try and verify what stuff they filled it with and perhaps feed back the new symptoms.

Give em the opportunity to implement their QA procedure. :lol: :idea:

For the next step, ( or skip the above ), I'd replace the oil with a good oil (Nulon smooth shift, etc ) and the recommended dose of Nylon G70 additive. This should transform the box's behaviour into a much nicer bit of gear.

Good luck
Warmer weather is here and my MN's gearbox is less notchy but definetly will change out standard oil for synthetic before next winter ...
So you find an additive like the g70 helps RKT?
One school of thought says not to put additives with syncros but I can't see how it could do any lasting harm and if it makes the little buggers work better that's great.
Strange thing with gearboxes is that no 2 ever seem the same even in the same model...
Krossbain
Platinum Subscriber

Next

Return to Drive Train Components