Hose loose on turbo causing power loss?

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Hose loose on turbo causing power loss?

Postby Goplayoutdoors on Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:11 pm

G'day all,

I'm recently back from a 7000km road trip with some desert tracks and station 4wd tracks thrown into the mix. When I arrived home I noticed the truck (2010 mn triton auto with DP chip and Torque It throttle controller) was lacking power low down in the revs and blowing a little more smoke than usual.

Not knowing anything about mechanics, I had a poke around and noticed that a black hose coming from the bottom of (what I think is) the turbo and running through something that looks like a mini radiator behind the front grill was loose. It hadn't come off, though wasn't seated properly. Anyway, I pushed the hose on, tightened the clamp voila! Seemed to do the trick!

There was a little oil coming out of the hose and it isn't staying seated now, even with the hose clamp tightened all as much as possible.

Can someone explain what may have been happening and what the components are? (is it the turbo, whats the hose that I tightened doing? etc.)

Also, any tips for getting it to stay on? is it ok to take the hose off completely, wipe away the oil and throw a new clamp on?

I've taken photos if it will help, though have no idea how to post them. Thanks in advance for any input!!
Goplayoutdoors

Re: Hose loose on turbo causing power loss?

Postby Goplayoutdoors on Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:43 pm

Click to view larger picture

The clamp with blue on it is the loose hose.
Goplayoutdoors

Postby PhillipJ on Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:18 am

Undo the hose clamp, pull off the hose and wipe the oil off both the turbo and the inside of the hose where they touch. If you put it together with oil on those bits it'll probably slide off no matter how tight you do it.

A bit of oil in the air coming out of the turbo is normal but I don't know why. Lubricating the compressor maybe. Doesn't seem like a great idea to me to fill the intercooler with oil but I'm sure Mitsubishi thought that through. Probably the same team that designed the ERG system that fills the inlet manifold with soot.

That hose takes air from the high-pressure (outlet) side of the turbo and feeds it to the intercooler. The air is hot coming out of the turbo because it has been compressed. Cooling it before it goes into the engine increases density so you're effectively getting more air into the engine.
PhillipJ

Postby ag9111 on Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:27 am

That hose also as a habit of failing/tearing on the MN triton at roughly 100,000km.
Mine went at 152,000 but I have heard of others failing at 75,000km.
If you are up around those km it might pay to get it looked at next service. If it fails you will hear it and have no boost.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Goplayoutdoors on Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:33 am

Thanks for the replies gents, ally appreciate it!

So is it likely that the outlet hose not sealing properly could have caused a power decrease down really low in the revs with a bit of extra smoke or was I experiencing a bit of placebo effect when I reseated it, imagining it helped?
Goplayoutdoors

Postby Airved on Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:46 am

Currently in the process of dealing with a torn outlet hose - it's been a PITA. The trick with putting them back on is to make sure you don't over-tighten the clamp. The hose itself expands under heat and boost and is prone to tearing if the clamp is on too tight. Others are also correct that any oil under the hose clamps will cause it to pop off. You'll hear it, then you'll feel it, then you'll get a CEL which will stick around for a while.

Any air leak along the induction system will cause a drop in boost pressure, which will rob the engine of power and can cause the turbo to work harder than it needs to, as the computer tells the engine that it's not making the right air/fuel mixture. The bigger the leak, the more noticeable the power loss.
Airved

Postby Goplayoutdoors on Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:53 am

Legend, thanks Airved!
Goplayoutdoors

Postby OMEOMAN on Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:39 am

fit a good catch can to stop all that oil from going through your turbo and intercooler. the turbo should have its own oil feed line to keep it lubed.
OMEOMAN

Postby dazza_241 on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:47 am

If you are like me keep two hose clamps and a screwdriver in the ute. To date I have blown the hose off three times and split the original hose once...mits replaced the orig hose under warranty with a strengthened hose same as the above pic. When the hose splits or lets go off the spigot it makes a hell of a noise...just pray that you aren't going up hill at full tilt. They don't run too well with the hose off as I found out. Currently I have two hose clamps on the top hose...it hasn't blown off for 6 months! touch wood :D
dazza_241

Postby yeahbutnah on Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:01 pm

guys,
make sure you replace the worm drive hose clamp with a "T-bar" hose clamp,
the standard type of hose clamp chews into the hose when you tighten it
and does not give even clamping force circumferentially around the turbo outlet
T-bar clamps are about 1.5 times wider than standard hose clamps, so have more clamping area also,
less than $5 from most good suppliers
yeahbutnah

Postby hvac guy on Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:31 am

Move the clamp down closer to the barb on the turbo outlet after you have slid the hose back up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Headley on Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:33 pm

Had this happen to me when i was driving in the mines (was driving a Volvo A40D). The same hose blew off and i lost a massive amount of power. Simple re-connect fixed it up fine.

Also when it blew some oil blew out of the engine bay too but it was nothing of consequence.
Headley

Postby mitch_o on Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:55 am

The Oil in/around the hose is from your engine Breather, if you following the small breather line from the Valve cover it's plumbed into your Air Intake after the Air Filter before the turbo, the Turbo is sucking in oil vapor and fumes which in turn is pushed into and around that hose under boost pressure. To fix this fit a Catch Can.

That hose is a common problem on the Tritons, mine split at 45k and prior to that I was always re-adjusting it. I have a mate with a 2015 with 30k same issue. The cost to replace the hose alone from misty was pretty expensive, around $170 from memory.

For $200 I got a full aluminum piping kit with new clamps and silicone joiners been on there for 40k not a problem, I'd recommend one for sure simple to fit and peace of mind!

http://www.forefrontindustries.com.au
mitch_o

Postby Airved on Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:38 am

mitch_o wrote:The cost to replace the hose alone from misty was pretty expensive, around $170 from memory.

For $200 I got a full aluminum piping kit with new clamps and silicone joiners been on there for 40k not a problem, I'd recommend one for sure simple to fit and peace of mind!

http://www.forefrontindustries.com.au

I was quoted $196 from Mitsu when looking to replace mine in January. The bloke at the parts counter called it the golden hose and said he's replaced a few. Bought the same aluminium kit above thinking it works out better economically, but then spoke to the dealer manager who felt sorry for me and replaced it as a warranty job. Wish I'd done it the other way around :oops: Oh well, now I have a spare hose just in case. Could probably even sell it and get half back on my aluminium kit.
Airved

Postby snakesoup on Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:23 pm

how much do ya want for it mate? PM me
snakesoup

Postby Marley on Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:09 am

Hi, - not sure if this is the thread I need to ask this question but I am assuming my car's turbo hose's 'clamp' is the part I've just been quoted $200 by Mitsy to replace? They have said clamp "wasn't tightened properly by whomever tightened it during a previous service and it's fallen off". They also say that despite it being an error on the part of the service person, the clamp coming loose is 'classified as normal wear & tear' so not covered under warranty.
My car is 2014 MN with less than 55Ks. Is this 'wear & tear'? Or should I be able to have the clamp (and having read this thread, assume it is not just the clamp, and that they are are also replacing hose) all replaced under warranty? Thanks :)
Marley

Postby Bammo on Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:49 pm

Ouch - just got quoted $500 from Mitsubishi just to supply the 3 hoses! I'm off to see Forefront now...
Bammo

Postby braydenc on Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:30 pm

Bammo wrote:Ouch - just got quoted $500 from Mitsubishi just to supply the 3 hoses! I'm off to see Forefront now...

you wont look back!
2013 MN dual Cab check my Instagram out heaps of 4x4 pics https://www.instagram.com/4x4campingandadventures/
braydenc

Return to Drive Train Components