4 Terrain Clutch review

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

4 Terrain Clutch review

Postby BillMcQuade on Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:45 am

After a fair bit of research, I decided on the 4 Terrain "Heavy Duty" clutch to replace my shagged OEM item. There is also an "Ultimate" edition, which features a grooved pressure plate, but I felt that this was overkill for my application. Both the Heavy Duty and Ultimate kits have the same friction plate.

The 4 Terrain clutch is manufactured by Clutch industries, and information can be found on the dedicated 4 Terrain page;
https://www.4terrain.com.au/

There is also a press release specific to the Triton on the Clutch Industries page;
http://cimedia.com.au/4TerrainClutch_Mitsubishi.html

First impressions

The clutch arrived in a timber box, which will now be used to hold some recovery gear. It's a nice touch, as I feel that anything that can be done to reduce packaging waste, is a step in the right direction. Reuseable packaging makes sense!
Click to view larger picture

Inside the box

First thing you see is the pressure plate. It has the usual gold zinc finish that most manufacturers go for, and closer inspection reveals that it is made by Valeo. For those that don't know, Valeo are one of the world's largest automotive parts manufacturers, and I have had good experiences with their clutches over many years. Valeo were also the first clutch manufacturer to include an alignment tool with every clutch, which is certainly a useful addition. The assembly has been balanced, as you can see by the weights added to the plate. Interestingly, the geometry of the diaphragm spring is different to the OEM, which means that although the clamping force is greater, the clutch pedal will feel lighter, and have improved modulation at the friction point. Clutch industries state the following features;

The cover assembly’s pressure plate is manufactured from Spheroidal Graphite casting material, which has yield strength 300% higher than standard castings. The materials microstructure also improves heat dispersion. The cover assembly also incorporates greater clamp load than a standard cover assembly. This translates to more torque capacity.

Next up is the friction plate. This is where the aftermarket items really differ from the OEM setups.

The pressure plate side is a conventional design, although it uses a high grade friction material. Clutch industries state;

The Aramide friction material exhibits 50% less wear than a conventional clutch disc’s friction material. This material also reduces the effects of fade. Fade is the decline in the clutch system’s ability to transmit torque as operating temperatures increases.

The flywheel side is where it gets interesting; many of you will be familiar with metallic button clutches, and this plate uses the same concept, but with a very heavy duty composite button instead of a "brass" button. This design will significantly reduce slippage, whilst maintaining drivability in traffic. It will also go a long way in preventing hot spots on the flywheel. Coupled with the increased clamping force of the pressure plate, this should be one tough clutch! The drive hub also features double, heavy duty springs.

The rest of the kit

The thrust bearing and the spigot bearings are also supplied. They are Japanese bearings, not cheap junk. There are variations in the Triton spigot bearings, so both are supplied in the kit. The previously mentioned alignment tool is also shown.

I toyed with the idea of fitting this kit myself, but I have no undercover area that will fit the Triton once it's on ramps. given the crappy weather, I really don't want to do this outside! It sucks having to trust someone else to do the work, but I know a very good mechanic who will do a great job on it. I have booked the Triton in to get this kit fitted in 2 weeks, and while it's up on the hoist, I am also putting a new rear main seal in (genuine Mitsubishi). It's not leaking, but while the box is out, I may as well do it.

I'll update this thread once the clutch is in, and also post pictures of the fried OEM unit.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Re: 4 Terrain Clutch review

Postby Joel on Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:54 am

Hi mate keen to hear how this all goes. I will be in the market for a new clutch soon and was leaning towards the exceedy hd. What was the price for this one?
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Postby BillMcQuade on Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:34 am

I also considered the Exedy HD. The 4 Terrain is the equivalent of the Exedy Safari.

The 4 Terrain usually goes for around the $850 mark, which is similar to the normal price for the Exedy Safari. At the time I bought this, I could have got the Exedy Safari for $700, the Exedy HD for $430, and I ended up getting the 4 Terrain for $600 (on a mega special). I had to make a lot of phone calls, as the prices vary significantly :shock:

The most expensive quote I got was $1150 for an Exedy Safari and the cheapest quote was $430 for the Exedy HD. I did look at the HD, but I'm fairly sure it wasn't a genuine clutch (it was missing the logo on the friction plate composite, and had no date code on the drive hub). There are a lot of fake Exedy clutches out there, so if you go down that path, make sure you buy from an Exedy authorised seller.

Price wasn't really a factor, as I wanted the best clutch for my application, and spending a couple of hundred extra for the right part is a lot cheaper than pulling out an unsatisfactory part :?

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby coughy on Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:41 am

hay bill make sure that the mech gets the fly wheel machined and take pickys of all as i have heard of a few horra storys of this brand and mob for triing to get out of warranty claims blaming the fitter and miss use of the clutch
so just to cover your ass get pickys and get mech to do it right
not say ing he will or wont just from what i have heard around the traps
but on that it looks the goods
good luck m8 and be gentle for the first 1000kms
cheers pete
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:59 am

coughy wrote:hay bill make sure that the mech gets the fly wheel machined and take pickys of all as i have heard of a few horra storys of this brand and mob for triing to get out of warranty claims blaming the fitter and miss use of the clutch
so just to cover your ass get pickys and get mech to do it right
not say ing he will or wont just from what i have heard around the traps
but on that it looks the goods
good luck m8 and be gentle for the first 1000kms
cheers pete

Yeah, the flywheel will definitely be getting machined. The bloke that is doing the job has a very good reputation, and I have many friends that have used him.

I read good and bad feedback for all the brands, but in the end you have to pick one.....

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:28 am

OK, time for an update;

Clutch has been in for 1000km. Had the usual light slip or two during the bedding in, but is now rock solid. I hadn't realised how much I had become accustomed to the old slipping clutch. The slipping was exacerbated when I put on the 265/75 R16 tyres, especially in 5th gear. Now I can use full noise, without even a suggestion of slip.

The old clutch revealed some interesting things. They are OEM Exedy clutches, but with a different pressure plate to what you would normally expect. There is a lot of effort in making the pedal light, but this comes at the cost of clamping force. The face of the pressure plate reveals huge hot spots. Ive not seen a clutch this bad outside of racing! The friction plate is junk. The compound is cheap and easily glazed. My friction plate had at least 50% of the material left, but it was rendered useless.

Exedy cover;

Friction plate;

Pressure plate hot spots;

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:30 pm

Its the old problem 'if the manufacturer can save 50¢ a unit' they'll sacrifice quality.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Minza on Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:49 pm

Hey Bill, how many k's did you get out of your factory clutch, much towing, 4x4ing ect ect?
Minza

Postby BillMcQuade on Mon May 01, 2017 4:54 am

Minza wrote:Hey Bill, how many k's did you get out of your factory clutch, much towing, 4x4ing ect ect?

Started slipping in 5th at 60k, with usual 4x4 driving and reasonable towing. Got really bad when hauling my 2T van. Got worse backing the van up my steep driveway. Became completely unacceptable after fitting 265/75 R16. Changed at 89k.

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GeoffLoz on Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:59 pm

Hey Bill,

Thanks for the post and the pics. I've got a 2010 MN with close to 200 K and have noticed it slipping in third/fourth, if I give it half a bootfull. I am about to order one of these (am thinking, and just wanted to know how it is going a month later...

My reasons for asking is my MN has been with me since new, and I want another 200 K out of her. Safari tough clutch is dearer, but you seem to know your gear.

thanks is advance

Geoff
GeoffLoz

Postby BillMcQuade on Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:08 am

GeoffLoz wrote:Hey Bill,

Thanks for the post and the pics. I've got a 2010 MN with close to 200 K and have noticed it slipping in third/fourth, if I give it half a bootfull. I am about to order one of these (am thinking, and just wanted to know how it is going a month later...

My reasons for asking is my MN has been with me since new, and I want another 200 K out of her. Safari tough clutch is dearer, but you seem to know your gear.

thanks is advance

Geoff

Hey Geoff,

I'm very happy with the clutch. It had the usual couple of light slips when bedding in, and is now rock solid. Pedal pressure is lighter than stock, with a much more defined friction point. At the time I was looking around, there was not much price difference between the 4 Terrain and the Safari, but I chose the 4 Terrain based on the pressure plate and friction plate design. It's important to bed the clutch in properly, so I took it easy, and no towing for 1000km.

The only thing that concerns me with Exedy is that a lot of the eBay ones are way too cheap. There have been a number of cases where people have bought them, only to find that the clutch they get is counterfeit. I'm not sure how prevalent this is with Triton clutches (if it is even an issue at all), but I just didn't want the hassle.

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GeoffLoz on Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:18 pm

Bill,

I am no expert and this is my bible what you guys do and use. One shop I went into today bagged them, then the other took the proffesional stand - looked them up and said "no failures"... Only problem is they are so hit and miss with the price, and ebay seems the cheapest.

After your isssue with fake safari, I would only go that way with a dealer and a receipt.

Only other one thrown my way was 'clutch pro extreme' for $650.

Probably got to do this in the next week, and only Repco and Bursons do 4 Terrain, and I will get a firm price tomorrow.

thanks again for saving me and coutless others so much time

Geoff
GeoffLoz

Postby MADMETHBANSHEE on Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:44 pm

Had one in my kun26r hilux. Bullet proof. But either in or out. No in between
MADMETHBANSHEE

Postby BillMcQuade on Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:00 am

GeoffLoz wrote:
Probably got to do this in the next week, and only Repco and Bursons do 4 Terrain, and I will get a firm price tomorrow.

I don't know what Repco or Bursons are currently quoting but for what it's worth, I can vouch for this one on eBay (I bought mine off them);

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-Terrain-HE ... SwbsBXotu7

Ask them to pack the pressure plate in bubble wrap before shipping to stop it from bouncing around in there.

If you get one from Repco or Bursons, make sure that they give you the wooden crate. Sometimes the staff keep them, and tell the customer that they are no longer supplied in the crate :evil: . Once you upgrade the hinges/latch on the crate, it makes an awesome little storage box for recovery gear, etc.

GeoffLoz wrote:
thanks again for saving me and countless others so much time.

Cheers mate, happy to help. Just don't assume that I know what I am talking about :lol:

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GeoffLoz on Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:55 am

Bill,

I got the clutch after your write up. I got the 'Ultimate' as the shop stated no differnece in price - so assumed I had a win...

Got the mechanic to fit it yesterday, and he rang to say "do you have an parts left over in the box" (as I kept the box). I had nothing in the box, and he explained it was 'loose' on the flywheel. He was trying to get the suppliers response - which took all afternoon. So I rang 4 Terrain, and the guy listed part numbers; and as I took photos of each part and part number - I confirmed they were all correct.

Rang mechanic back and he seems to think there is a machining issue, and is waiting on another Ultimate clutch to be delivered to check side by side.

Do you have any recollection on dramas with your fitting?

Mechanic only praises these clutches...
GeoffLoz

Postby BillMcQuade on Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:13 am

GeoffLoz wrote:Do you have any recollection on dramas with your fitting?

No dramas at all. I also have the Ultimate friction pate version fitted, but not the Ultimate pressure plate (grooved). I think that all the ones that they now sell are the full Ultimate version.

What does he mean by "loose"?

Usually a flywheel has dowels to locate the pressure plate, did he re-fit the dowels?

If the flywheel is stepped (I don't know if it is) and the machinist makes it flat, or machines an incorrect step height, the friction plate will be loose.

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:19 am

Sounding like the apprenti has simply machined straight across the face of the flywheel.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GeoffLoz on Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:36 am

Yes the dowels make it 'loose'

4 Terrain are happy to swap, but I rang Ken from 4 Terrain (the warranty/tech guy) and described the issue, and once bolted on-won't be loose. My mechanic is just playing it safe, as the dowels should sit in 8 mm holes-but are 10 mm...hence the 'loose' issue.

I was having a mini heart attack as it's Friday and was thinking I'd have to get another brand clutch..

So now I've seen the machining, and witnessed both that and the 200 000 km clutch; and happy with result.

4 terrain gave me good feedback, and I'm happy to say it's resolved...

BUT will confirm later today
GeoffLoz

Postby GeoffLoz on Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:17 am

Thanks again Bill for your feedback and appraisal of this clutch. I am now in the bedding in stage, so will be overtaken by every person for the next 1000 km, but will report in after that.

My clutch and pressure plate looked similar to yours, will post pics of this once I follow instructions.

Many thanks again to you and anyone who posts info on here, as it is invaluable for me (and I suggest others), as we see the pros and the cons... get the pricing (and then the discounts), and then make a decision.

Thanks again.
GeoffLoz

Postby BillMcQuade on Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:49 am

GeoffLoz wrote:I am now in the bedding in stage, so will be overtaken by every person for the next 1000 km, but will report in after that.

Glad it's all sorted :D

Don't baby it too much after the first 100km. You can drive it as normal, just don't do any towing, drag racing, or off road for the full 1000km. Also avoid hard acceleration in 5th gear for the first 500km.

Looking forward to your pics and review.

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby L200Shogun on Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:40 pm

eBay has a 20% off sale until 30/08/2017 so you can order a clutch for about $480
L200Shogun

Postby Scale on Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:16 pm

L200Shogun wrote:eBay has a 20% off sale until 30/08/2017 so you can order a clutch for about $480

Hey Shogun wouldn't have a link?
Scale

Postby L200Shogun on Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:58 pm

L200Shogun

Postby GeoffLoz on Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:55 pm

Hey Bill,

Can you pm me (i have no idea how to do it) - as I have a question?
GeoffLoz

Postby L200Shogun on Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:34 pm

Last edited by L200Shogun on Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L200Shogun

Next

Return to Drive Train Components