Inlet Manifold Leak?

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Inlet Manifold Leak?

Postby iainr on Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:27 pm

G'Day All,

This is my first post!

I recently removed the inlet manifold from my MN Triton to clean out the soot and crap from the EGR. Following the fix I get a noise on hard acceleration, something between a whistle and a scream. It sounds very much like a slipping fan belt.

I torqued up all the manifold bolts as per the spec and replaced both gaskets. There's no 'left over' bolts! Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions what this sound might be?

Thanks in anticipation.

Iain
iainr

Re: Inlet Manifold Leak?

Postby ag9111 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:39 pm

Have you torn the charge pipe between the turbo and the intercooler?
That is usually the culprit
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Toddyh on Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:35 am

Yeah second for a loose or torn pipe. Mine whistled like crazy when the clamps weren't done up tight enough.
Toddyh

Postby furious on Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:52 pm

is there a drop in power? Check the hose that attaches to the bottom on the wastegate.
furious
Platinum Subscriber

Postby iainr on Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:16 am

Thanks for the replies chaps.

I'll check the charge pipe on the weekend.

Furious can you possibly elaborate a little on this pipe and where it is located?

Thanks,
Iain
iainr

Postby furious on Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:23 pm

it's on the front of the turbo where the wastegate is located.

I'll take some photos tomorrow.

on the photo, it is where the test gauge attaches.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
furious
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Bammo on Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:45 pm

Well I cleaned out the inlet manifold last weekend and put a new gasket / seal set through the engine - manifold, throttle body, injectors etc.

Gave it a good long blast yesterday on the highway and have exactly the same symptom as you Iain - clearly sounds like high pressure air escaping under heavy boost. I found a residue patch of oil on the top of the throttle body where the 2" air hose comes up from the intercoolers. The Jubilee (hose) clamp wasn't completely tight there and the rubber hose was compressed in the wrong spot (you have to get that clamp back in exactly the same spot as before or they don't seal properly).

I tightened it up and the oil spray stopped but sadly the noise didn't and the power level feels down - as if the boost is lower than normal which seems to fit with a leak on the turbo output path. I also noticed the rubber hose coming out of the turbo that heads into the intercooler was half hanging down - hard to describe except to say it just didn't look securely attached to the turbo and the jubilee clip on that one looked aftermarket and quite different to the others in the engine which is a bit weird. I tightened that up too (although hadn't previously touched it) and still no change to the noise.

I'm thinking perhaps I need to replace the hoses and the clamps on both side of the intercooler - I reckon its still a simple issue of the clamps not properly sealing the hoses as the hoses are too deformed.
Bammo

Postby coughy on Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:32 pm

check for splits remove hoses and look / sqeeze hoses to see if and cracks or hose in the rubber hoses
get after market pipes and replace them much cheaper than original
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby braydenc on Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:40 am

Invest in the alloy piping then you never have to worry about a split pipe again,

$249 from his website forefront industrys
2013 MN dual Cab check my Instagram out heaps of 4x4 pics https://www.instagram.com/4x4campingandadventures/
braydenc

Return to Drive Train Components