EGR problems & Oil catch can now installed

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: EGR problems & Oil catch can now installed

Postby boostedbmw on Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:02 am

Yes what you are seeing is the oil vapour that is causing all the problems. That is why i am using a catch can
It's easier to get forgivness than permission.
boostedbmw

Postby vroom on Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:34 pm

Thanks boosted, I went to a dealer and spoke to the mechanic and asked him what happens if I do that, he said I am on the wrong track, and the problem is with other pipes, and pointed to the silver ones on top to the rear, and that I must bring my ute in and they will sort it out, as they have a fix, but he can't tell me what the fix is.
vroom

Postby 85HiluxSR5 on Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:50 am

vroom wrote:Thanks boosted, I went to a dealer and spoke to the mechanic and asked him what happens if I do that, he said I am on the wrong track, and the problem is with other pipes, and pointed to the silver ones on top to the rear, and that I must bring my ute in and they will sort it out, as they have a fix, but he can't tell me what the fix is.

keep us posted vroom, keen to hear as im only on 16,000kms and want to get this issue sorted asap

thanks heaps
ben
85HiluxSR5

Postby new44 on Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:54 pm

Something interesting from I think Tasmania Re: The problem of crankcase/rocker cover vent on modern diesels. Sounds like beetroot can and filter.

see: http://www.howauto.com.au/diesel%20engi ... posits.htm
new44

Postby sam on Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:31 pm

boostedbmw wrote:Yes what you are seeing is the oil vapour that is causing all the problems. That is why i am using a catch can

Was just wondering boosted how the catch can is working :?: is it doing a good job of stopping the oil or is something more speciallised needed like this link posted before :?: :?:

http://www.howauto.com.au/diesel%20engi ... posits.htm

Want to do something with this asap while the ute is new so as not to sludge it up :( :roll: have vented the rocker cover breather into the air intake for the time being so at least the gases will still be burnt but not have oiled pulled through the intake system ;)
sam

Postby 85HiluxSR5 on Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:59 pm

sam wrote:
boostedbmw wrote:Yes what you are seeing is the oil vapour that is causing all the problems. That is why i am using a catch can

Was just wondering boosted how the catch can is working :?: is it doing a good job of stopping the oil or is something more speciallised needed like this link posted before :?: :?:

http://www.howauto.com.au/diesel%20engi ... posits.htm

Want to do something with this asap while the ute is new so as not to sludge it up :( :roll: have vented the rocker cover breather into the air intake for the time being so at least the gases will still be burnt but not have oiled pulled through the intake system ;)

how do you vent the rocker cover?

thanks
85HiluxSR5

Postby boostedbmw on Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:29 am

As far as i know its working fine. Its had to measure how its performing. I can certanly see residue trapped in the can when i remove the lid so i know its doing something right.
It's easier to get forgivness than permission.
boostedbmw

Postby sam on Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:58 am

All I've done is take off the pipe from the rocker cover then put a short piece of pipe onto the rocker outlet and then a long bit of pipe that just fits inside the short bit and then that curls around to the air intake near the top of the radiator with a 19mm 90% elbow in the end so it directs the vapours into the intake just for the time being.
Used a plastic plug with a flange on it to block the original port into the intake pipe with a S/S hose clamp. ;)

Hey boosted could you check your pipe that goes from your catch can the the intake to see if it's clean :?: :?:
sam

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:25 pm

after reading that isn't the problem just the crack case venting into the intake manifold causing the carbon to stick like dog shit to a rug, if this wet oily vapour stops wont the egr system be fairly clean or will the carbon still be a problem ???????
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Homer at janowen Hills (3mins later)
Recovered
by fridgie 4wd Training Day... "shakes head" i woulda made it
chick_magnet_0001

Postby GLX-R Alex on Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:09 pm

I dont believe crank case vapor would be an issue once the EGR is blanked. Crank case venting into the intake is common and normally doesnt foul things up so much.
GLX-R Alex

Postby Steane on Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:59 pm

GLX-R Alex wrote:I dont believe crank case vapor would be an issue once the EGR is blanked. Crank case venting into the intake is common and normally doesnt foul things up so much.

Check out some Patrol, Land Rover and Jeep forums. It is a real issue with turbo diesels. VW fit a crankcase vapour filter at the factory on some of their turbo diesel models having had issues with oil from crank case venting.

It's not uncommon for diesel Patrol owners to have to wash oil out of their intercoolers to prevent them gumming up. They also block their EGR valves for the same reason that we seem to need to.
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:23 pm

I neglected to fit a catch can and paid the price today when I pulled the hose off the inlet manifold to look at the throttle butterfly. Running my finger around the inside of the hose and it was almost wet with oil which means it's the same right through from the compressor and intercooler.
:(
sierra

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:28 pm

When I had roo modify my intercooler on the Vito, it was amazing just how much oil had accumulated in the cooler core.

There must have been a few cracks that I'd missed with the silastic and for four years I had a constant build up of oil on the outside!

Really all that should exist between the Air filter and the inlet valves is clean air & a little amount of blow-by gas sucked from the rocker cover.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby YLD-15T on Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:23 pm

Just purchased a breather tank yesterday and ran into the same problem as (boostedbmw). My tank has the 10mm fittings and hoses but the triton has the 20mm oulets/hose between the engine cover and air inlet. So went to Pirtek and its $35 for the reducer fittings (rip off,no i didny buy them) and you need two fittings to get the 20-10mm reduction in size. So 4 fitting all up.
The Pirtek fella mentioned its probably not a good idea to reduce the line that much as the car runs the 20mm line for a reason. I guess for a certain air flow.
On that note. I recently sold my 10sec Mitsubishi Cordia Turbo (dont laugh, its true). Anyway, on that car my mechanic installed a custom breather tank and got rid of the standard 10mm fitting on the cam cover and put a 20mm fitting and ran braided 20mm lines. I then had one of the tiny pod style filters attached to the tank as i never ran an air filter (so couldnt plumb back into air inlet pipe) while racing and that setup worked fine (no oil seeping out the filter). He said the reason for this, is because when you start running more boost and more internal mods it can lead to oil leaks in the motor due to the extra pressure inside the motor. Another problem i had was that the oil dip stick used to sometimes pop out on race runs, never happend again once the tank and bigger lines were fitted.
So i guess something to think about when installing an off the shelf breather tank (most have the 10mm outlets), probably best not to reduce the size of the lines. Either pay the extra for the custom polished aluminium ones with the bigger outlets or try and drill and tap some bigger holes into the one you have if it will fit.
YLD-15T

Postby sierra on Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:28 pm

Good points.
The one I bought from Autopro for $55 also stepped the hose down, from the 15mm ID to 9mm ID and I also put one of those mini filters on the end but it did include the adaptors.
Pics on this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2551&start=50

More on this one.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4312

I'll watch the dip stick and if it pops out will replace it with the standard 15mm ID hose and just a mini filter on the end after a 90deg elbow as mentioned.
:)
sierra

Previous

Return to Drive Train Components