Diff Locks benefits

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Diff Locks benefits

Postby sam on Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:12 pm

Another consideration is that LSD's wear out diff locks don't ;)

If you put an aftermarket rear Locker in an MN that should be a very good setup as theorectically the TC should still work on the front wheels as the TC wouldn't be deactivated as with the factory locker, therefore locked rear and traction control front end :idea: ;)
sam

Postby norto on Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:23 pm

Is there a clever software writer out there that can
overwrite that part of the computer.
If that makes sense.
Pete
norto

Postby Homer on Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:34 pm

This is a really interesting topic. Thanks 5th for the explanation...makes sense about the speed.

There seems to be plenty of good input. One day it would be good to put a few side by side and see how much benefit one style gives over another.

Problem would be finding the variants...don't remember too many ML's with front lockers and not too many MN's with TC and lockers as yet - at least in the same neck of the woods. Would be a good magazine spread.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby g_mac on Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:46 pm

There was a comparison done by 4WD Action with 3 x Prados like this... they had a standard GXL with LSD, a Grande with Traction Control and an air-locked (F&R) GXL... pretty staged as it's an ARB commercial, but basically the TC Prado beat the LSD, and the locked Prado beat the TC.

I had a rear air-locker in my old truck and have got a factory rear locker coming in this one, but to be honest there's not that many times that I've absolutely "needed" it... it does help with the confidence when deciding whether to tackle that big hill or rutted track, but sometimes that can be a bad thing too :twisted:

Generally I find they'll get you a lot further up that track, which can mean it's that much harder to recover you if you're not prepared :lol:

The links are:

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2wkW05P ... re=related

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNFacsKn ... re=related
2010 MN GLXR... I shall call her 'Tray-cey'

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
g_mac

Postby snowman on Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:19 am

we could debate this forever but in my opinion for off road go;

1st. rear diff lock first (factory is cheaper but can't be turned on in anything but low range). having said that can't think of any reason to use it in rear wheel drive only except for circle work. Aftermarkets are almost 2k more expensive. you still lose LSD if using and aftermarket locker as they replace the centre. you can't have best of both worlds.
2nd. front diff lock second. dont use an auto locker (use manual locker only) if you have super select!!!!

you can't beat front and rear lockers in my opinion for off road. but the new traction control systems are gaining ground......and are probably more idiot proof. can't comment on Triton TC as i have not seen it in use. i don't think it is as advanced as some of the other manufacturers, particularly land rover. don't confuse stability control with traction control.

HOWEVER, when i bought mine i seriously wanted the diff lock and was happy to go that way once the super select was released as i have one front and one rear wheel driving for normal on road driving. but with easy select you only have one driving wheel on road (with DL option) so LSD may be the better option if you tow a lot.

handbrake and LSD is a poor mans traction control for the rear but it is also braking your wheel with traction unlike traction control which brakes wheels individually. but if this is the setup you have use it because it works to a degree - but not as good as a DL. TC systems used heavily do create heat in the brakes unlike a diff locked option and as they use brakes also use up power unlike a DL.

in any case the rear diff locked triton (for only $700 extra) is a VERY capable off road vehicle without spending huge amounts of cash (maybe with better tyres) and i would put it up against many of the best other standard cars. if you are not a fanatic 4wder but want to get into it a bit get then i can recommend the super select and diff lock. you will be surprised where it will take you.

trust me (i did this on recent newtriton Mt sugarloaf trip) you can get yourself in trouble with a DL if you are not concentrating (note to snowman dont talk on phone whilst tackling steep muddy hill!! you idiot) and it can be worse with front locker. i have not owned a front locker but from feedback a front locker can be far more dangerous on climbs as it can allow the front to walk over high obstacles on one side and tip you over.....

EDIT: i just noticed the paj thread where you can have DL and TC fitted! you can't use simulatenously but this is a good option IMO.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby brunopezz on Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:19 pm

Hi Snowman.
Can I correct you.
Diff lock does work in Hi and low range. at least in my triton it does.
GLX-R 07
brunopezz

Postby snowman on Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:49 pm

yes mate my mistake (my head was saying two wheel drive - my fingers typed 'low range')

the factory diff lock can be operated in high or low range (but not super select 4 high or two wheel drive) it also automatically disconnects the ABS. This has been debated on another thread regarding its (ABS) merits if you look for it......
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby stufensom on Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:03 am

I've waited nearly a year now for Mitsubishi to finally put a diff lock on a decent model L200 (as its known here in the UK) as we dont have the option to spec it from the factory, and to their credit it comes with 16" alloys, and lots of toys, with leaf springs and a light rear end i wouldn't consider a 4wd without one.

In response to TC, you do have to alter your driving style to get the most out of it, wheels have to spin to be able to sense theres a problem. ATM i have two discoveries one with and one without, its amazing how much quicker the one with goes through brake pads!
stufensom

Postby xsf10w on Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:23 am

Well it looks like I'll be going the LSD over the D/L.

My reasoning being I'll be towing my race car more than doing serious offroading and by previous experience the dual cabs slide a lot in the wet with poor traction and my wife will drive from time to time so I'd prefer safety on the road of the traction etc and be able to get adventurous offroad but not stupid :lol:

Beside I'm sure off road I'll have you lot in front and behind to pull me up or out of whatever I'm stuck in? :oops:

Thanks for everyones input its been appreciated.
Can I still go fast around corners ----- or will I tip over. Hey wheres the harness and roll cage in this thing? and wheres the 3rd peddle for gear changes...... :) Its not an EVO but atleast I can tow one.
xsf10w

Postby Jitsukablue on Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:35 am

stufensom wrote:I've waited nearly a year now for Mitsubishi to finally put a diff lock on a decent model L200 (as its known here in the UK) as we dont have the option to spec it from the factory

But you do have the option of HID/projector lights :P
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:10 pm

Good choice xsf10w, Super Select with AWD option, LSD and TC. There's not another ute on the market that can offer THAT level of safety in the wet.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby smouch1975 on Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:22 pm

BumP :D :D :D

It's crunch time, sold the old car yesterday, bummed a lift to work today, and am set to sign up for a Triton tomorrow.
I have a couple of stealers lined up, question is do I need the Factory Diff Locker????

Ok I'm a "great unwashed", would like to get into 4WD, have never done it before, not thinkinging of doing anything to extreme (W&K's). I live in Perth and on the roads 90% of the time, when not, plan to do mostly beach driving, with a little track as well.

I've read all the posts here, can somebody explain why the LSD is worse on the road??
Is an open diff better, is LSD a compromise, instead of open diff with FDL!!!

Which set-up will be best, given most of my driving will still be getting to work (on roads) and getting away as many weekends as possible to enjoy this beaut country??? :!:
Mark

Dirty woman, Clean truck :-)

View My Build Thread Here
smouch1975

Postby Homer on Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:16 am

LSD is generally much better on the road mate, no problems there.
TC may make it less 'better' but it is still better.
The diff lock won't work in 2wd on the road.

I think if I was in your position I would check out the stealers and see what's available.

I was exactly like you and the obvious option was no locker and LSD - and auto because it is a better beach vehicle...BUT after going out into the bush a bit with some of the guys on here and also with some mates, it can get addictive and you end up with HD bash plates, Tyres, sliders etc :roll:
That is when you want the locker.

BUT...by all accounts the TC does give you much better off road ability than ever before to the point of "maybe" as good as a locker - or close, and if all the story's are correct from the last couple of years...Triton's with lockers can be a 3-4-5+ month wait.

There is also the option of adding a front locker later if you really like the bush - it IS great fun :D

The wait for a locker is the killer and now with TC may not be worth it - especially if you are only doing what you say with the car.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby NitroGLXRin on Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:30 am

When I was negotiating with the stealers they said it could be a 2-3mnth wait for the locker. Told them it wasnt and issue, made the buy but as part of the negotiation with prices between other dealers, one dealer guaranteed a delivery date of only 2weeks later. This was even after that dealer was quoting a possible 2month wait also.

So if you can wait and spare the 700$, get the locker. May never use it, but if you do it will be worth it, especially if it gets you unstuck while 4wding by yourself :) otherwise wait 2hrs for another 4wd to pass by and swing him 20$ for the snatch. :lol:
NitroGLXRin

Postby borngeek on Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:37 am

^ :lol: x2

get your dealer to pull out this thick printout they have that lists all the vehicles in storage/holding yards.

theres a 'code' in that list that list the options fitted and getting delivery of one of these 'in-waiting' vehicles is a 2week wait MAX. They can do in a week if theres little backlog where MMAL pre deliver... It depends how many cars your stealership moves per year as to the amount of 'pull' he has to expedite an order...

its a 'nice to have' if you can get in a reasonable time 8-) (if you have to wait for it to be built and sent.... forget it)
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby smouch1975 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:53 am

I've got one with the DL lined up, a promise of delivery next week, I figure my issue is, I have to accept the colour ( not my first choice ) and $700 less for other goodies. The big question remains, how much use will it be??
Mark

Dirty woman, Clean truck :-)

View My Build Thread Here
smouch1975

Postby sam on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:37 am

It is the best off road traction aid you can get for the money and 700 is a bargain ;)
sam

Postby aff38 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:02 pm

I have a MN manual GLR and was told by the Mitsu service department that the traction control will not work until at least 40kph. I had one rear wheel on the grass and one on hard ground. The right wheel just started spinning and couldn't move.
I thought tc started working as soon as one wheel started to slip. Is this right??
aff38

Postby Homer on Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:24 pm

Is there an echo in here?

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby NitroGLXRin on Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:32 pm

Not sure, my sounds turned off!
NitroGLXRin

Postby luis carlos on Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:07 pm

Hi, i have an l200 2,5 tdi with lsd and i would like to know if i can put a rear diff lock and front diff lock or the engine could not handle it??? i have only use my car a few times in offroad but last time i get stuck like the white one going up a hill but the i think the hill that i was tring to climb was much large but not to high and the only car that could make it was the one of my friend a jeep wrangler :? 2008 4 doors but it have the rear diff lock on and my l200 an my other friend hilux colud not make it to the top but lucky us that the way going back was not thar bad
luis carlos

Postby Diddy on Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:29 pm

I think u should maybe get a front locker first u will be surprised how good the vehicle will go with LSD and a front locker but you motor should handle it no probs
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Postby luis carlos on Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:06 pm

thanks today i was loocking for a place where install air lockers but i tink here in panama is a litle more expensive for the front and rear diff like 4200 dollars but first i would like to know if ther a better opcion or it is my best option to put the air lockers the price i said is with every thing but like you say that if i put only on the front diff i wont make me harder to turn if not i think i can put the front diff only but i have a friend here in panama that install to his car a rear diff of a mitsubishi nativa montero sport or pajero sport and it have diff lock but i would never do that to my car
luis carlos

Postby Homer on Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:52 pm

The front one should be cheaper and easier as it is an open diff.

To do the rear locker they have to replace the LSD with an open diff and then install the locker, so it will be more expensive.

You should go pretty well with just the front locker. Maybe being the cheap option you could try that first anyway?

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby sam on Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:32 pm

Homer I think you'll find that the LSD center is replaced completely by the locking center and the crown wheel bolts to the locker so you can then sell your LSD to recoup some money if you want to ;)
sam

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components