Diff Locks benefits

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Diff Locks benefits

Postby Homer on Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:42 pm

sam wrote:Homer I think you'll find that the LSD center is replaced completely by the locking center and the crown wheel bolts to the locker so you can then sell your LSD to recoup some money if you want to ;)

8-) always good to save the cash mate...I take it an LSD front diff is too hard to steer?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby sam on Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:05 pm

Would definitely have an affect on steering, this is why the manual lockers are the way to go in the Tritons ;)
sam

Postby snowman on Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:30 am

i keep hearing that an LSD is safer on road. In my opinion it is not.

it will give you more forward traction but an open diff is much safer because the safety aspect comes from lateral stability. if you break traction with an open diff you get one wheel spinning but the other assists in keeping the car straight. with an LSD rear wheel spin means that both rears will spin and you have no rear lateral traction (i.e. you hang the rear out).

My wife admits keeping the MK straight is difficult compared to driving the super select ML which is much more user friendly. I only say this because even though she is a reasonably good driver it is far easier to drive the Super Select in marginal conditions, particularly in the city where some wet roundabouts are like ice and even a moderate throttle in the MK (LSD) sees the rear coming around very quickly.

i personally would far prefer the LSD to an open diff in a rear wheel drive only vehicle (that is what i have in the MK). However, i think it is important in this thread to not oversell the 'safety on road' of an LSD. I can assure you if on road safety is what you want, go for the Super Select model which allows continuous all wheel drive. With that option you can have a DL without limiting forward TRACTION on road whilst having a DL that will make a massive difference off road.

The TC vs DL is still unproven yet but it seems you can have both of these anyway including super select. I know what i would buy.

i don't disagree that an LSD rear in marginal conditions can be a whole lotta fun though. Just not safe for drivers who maybe need the inbuilt safety versus the additional focus at the steering wheel.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jop on Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:24 am

I agree snowman my single spinner gets me in no where near as much trouble, but getting off the line in the wet is very ordinary, but my tyres are shite.
My mates in v8 GQ's run front lsd's - patrol lsd's being very good.
jop

Postby Homer on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:06 am

Yep never considered LSD safer in the wet..just better.
Same reason I never used super select either.

LSD is better in the dry for those shopping centre exits etc.

The MN traction and ASC control make it all a bit redundant anyway...
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Previous

Return to Drive Train Components