Engine temps.

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Engine temps.

Postby L200Shogun on Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:32 am

RHKTriton wrote:All you owners that have experienced the 'cooking' issue should form a class action to either have the vehicle replaced with a complete working one from the factory, as you originally purchased, or if the engine has/needs to be replaced, should receive a cash amount on top of the replaced engine as part of a compensation package.

I find it hard to believe with all the computer tracking, etc during the production process, that Mitsubishi haven't a start and finish serial number for the dud engines and where they have gone. Reeks of 'shit-san! We'll see how many lemons we can ignore' :lol:

There is you end number 1 before this one.
Improved smoothness of upper surface of cylinder block for engines built on and after
18/03/2014 (engine number 4D56 UCFA9504 onwards)"
L200Shogun

Postby Phil.Gorman on Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:40 am

March 2015 plated so maybe late 2014.
Phil.Gorman

Postby Phil.Gorman on Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:51 am

Phil.Gorman wrote:March 2015 plated so maybe late 2014.
I reckon my PC Challenger would have been built after the "improved smoothness" from 18/03/14 .

My engine number is 4D56UCKK0899 but I don't understand what the *UCK it all means. Maybe UCK refers to build quality and KO means it's knocked out on the cheap?

Anyone know how to start a class action?
Phil.Gorman

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:36 pm

You're better off starting with the ACCC or DOTARS I reckon. There was a bloke who posted a link to an online register - he was trying to collect info from affected owners for legal action of some sort.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Re: Can't find it? Ask here FIRST, before you start a new th

Postby peter.lamaro on Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:17 pm

G'day there
Hoping to get some help and advice,I have purchased 2015 GLX triton which I am having overheating problems with.
Unlike posts that I have read,I have not been loosing any coolant.
Whenever I hit any hill and have to drop back to 4th gear(not as gutsy and powerful as I hoped) the temp rises quite fast.
Aircon is also not working while idling and is now in getting TX valve replaced(under warranty) and they are telling
me that this is PROBABLY the cause of overheating..
Could this be the case? has anyone had the same problem?
Would love to hear back from anyone as this is a work vehicle.Time off the road no money.
Cheers
Pete
peter.lamaro

Postby coughy on Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:15 pm

has it got a thermo fan fitted for the a/c??
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby biggibbo on Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:16 pm

Is it overheating or just getting hot?

How are you measuring temps?

Is it going into limp mode when it overheats?
biggibbo

Postby strangeblue on Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:10 pm

I have a question re engine temps but I'm not sure if it should go in here or in the Ultragauge thread.

Some background:

My engine was replaced last year due to the dreaded block failure. Radiator replaced early this year also. Have had an ultragauge since getting the new engine. Temps have been very consistent 86-90 depending on loads hills etc.

For the past few weeks I have noticed that under acceleration the temp on the ultragauge will drop 2-5 degrees as soon as the pedal is depressed. Once I release the pedal the temp instantly changes from 82-84 straight back to 87/88. It even does it in neutral if I rev the engine. Is this simply an electric issue with the temp sensor that the ultragauge is reading or is there something else going on with my coolant that I should be concerned about. I installed a dual battery about 3 months ago but this has only started recently.

Obviously I am fairly paranoid about this vehicle since the engine blew up so any opinions would be very welcome...
strangeblue

Postby snakesoup on Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:53 am

g'day blue, how did ya go with the nudge bar? I don't have ultraguage but considering it fluctuates that quickly I wouldn't think that that your coolant temp would change that quik and would say it's electrical also, something to do with load when you put the foot down ?
snakesoup

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:32 am

Sounds similar to symptoms produced by a bad earth
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby strangeblue on Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:01 pm

Thanks snake and Dave. I have checked all my earth points and they all seem good with no voltage drop. Dual battery is earthed back to the main negative.

Funny thing is it doesn't happen all the time, and only when the car is up to temp. Doesn't happen at lower temps and just tried to replicate the issue after a short drive and couldn't get it to happen. Maybe a loose connection somewhere in the cooling system.

Nudge bar is all good snake thanks, hope you enjoyed the beer...
strangeblue

Postby strangeblue on Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:57 pm

Thought I'd give an update just in case anyone else has this problem. It seems that in the process of checking, cleaning and tightening my earths I have solved this one. I also checked all the plugs coming off the cooling system to make sure nothing was loose. Ultragauge coolant temp now very steady.

Thanks to CD and snakesoup for the replies...
strangeblue

Postby BILLC on Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:23 am

Hi All,

My 2015 MN with Ecutech tune is running around 85-87 ( water temp scan gauge ) city driving but i have noticed that it climbs up to 93 when i am on the freeway without a load or passengers.
Should i be worried ?
BILLC

Postby Crash486 on Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:06 am

Sounds normal to me. When you get over the 100's you need to check . Others with greater knowledge will post

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Crash486

Postby m sciffer on Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:13 pm

hi there
my temps were about the same as yours . but towing it would go to 98 so to fix my problem . first I replaced the radiator with a two core all alloy 40 mm thick . than I replaced the thermostat with a dayco 82c . I just yesterday I had to go to coffs harbour and I watch the scan gauge and exhaust gauge ,well the water temp on the scan gauge sat between 84c down hill and up hill 85c and the exhaust temp 350 these temp were at 90 to 100 kph . what I did notice the thermostat was original at 82c and when comparing the two thermostats the dayco open further than the original and the specks state temp should be 82c min .and my fuel comp was at about 8ltr per 100km and I have mods of the ecu being upgraded and also a full ss exhaust 3 inch system, yes it did cost money but Aim pleased with the ute NOW.
m sciffer

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:19 pm

The standard radiators are pretty lean but then diesels are generally not good heaters. A double radiator and high flow thermostat are on the cards after the suspension upgrade, nice just to have the reserve capacity.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby braydenc on Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:47 am

strangeblue wrote:I have a question re-engine temps but I'm not sure if it should go in here or in the Ultragauge thread.

Some background:

My engine was replaced last year due to the dreaded block failure. Radiator replaced early this year also. Have had an ultra gauge since getting the new engine. Temps have been very consistent 86-90 depending on loads hills etc.

For the past few weeks, I have noticed that under acceleration the temp on the ultra gauge will drop 2-5 degrees as soon as the pedal is depressed. Once I release the pedal the temp instantly changes from 82-84 straight back to 87/88. It even does it in neutral if I rev the engine.

Hey, mate mine does the exact same if you are travelling at say 70ks and drop it back to 3rd it roughly sits at 2900rpm if you let it slow down without putting the clutch on etc it drops to about 84 Deg I would consider this normal.

and here is my very uneducated reason why

The engine is not working in a sense it's just slowing down there is no load but at a higher RPM, the engine will be taking as much more air if it's a higher RPM to keep the engine running. now if you have more air coming into the engine radiator intercooler etc the engine should cool down.

As I said not an educated mechanics but it seems to make sense every gear does the same thing in my car anyways.

Info on the car
60thou sits at 87-89 every day of the week yesterday were I live 2nd hottest place on earth 43 deg sat at 90 Deg on the beach going up sand dunes etc low 4 so no problems yet if it does go so be it I just hope it's not on my next trip up north 4 hours from the closet town.
2013 MN dual Cab check my Instagram out heaps of 4x4 pics https://www.instagram.com/4x4campingandadventures/
braydenc

Postby snakesoup on Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:51 pm

you in the Pilbara mate?
snakesoup

Postby braydenc on Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:24 pm

snakesoup wrote:you in the Pilbara mate?

Not Pilbara I'm in Geraldton mate
2013 MN dual Cab check my Instagram out heaps of 4x4 pics https://www.instagram.com/4x4campingandadventures/
braydenc

Postby BILLC on Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:19 pm

I have spoken to a workshop that has sudgested using a high flow thermostat.
Has anyone fitted one of those on their ute and will this take the temps below operating temperature causing other issues ?
BILLC

Postby coughy on Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:57 pm

no the high flow is good mine runs at 82deg c it opens and car sits at 86 all day
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BILLC on Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:45 pm

coughy wrote:no the high flow is good mine runs at 82deg c it opens and car sits at 86 all day
Thanks Coughy,
I will change the thermostat the first chance i get.
BILLC

Postby wildturkeycanoe on Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:36 am

Speedy70 wrote:Mine throws a CEL and goes into limp mode when it hits 120c which I am guessing is what Mitsubishi consider to be the limit before serious engine damage occurs (built into the ECU software). Mine is one of the ones waiting to get a new engine under warranty and has over heated 4 times now (3 while towing/1 unladen). On mine, the factory temperature guage needle doesn't move up until the coolant temp hits about 115c, so without a scan guage (or similar) or an anxilliary water temperature guage, you don't really have any warning that the engine is about to overheat or how hot the coolant temperature really is just by monitoring the factory guage. For example, my temperature guage stays in the same spot regardless of whether it is 86c to about 114c. IMHO I reckon there would be a few Tritons out there on the verge of over heating with their owners mindless to the fact of how hot the coolant temperature really is because the factory guage stays in the same spot.

Interesting this. I had the coolant recall done in 2016 and it didn't seem to be an issue, BUT
just this summer I was crawling up a hill out camping when I "smelled" burning and noticed the temperature gauge going up into the red line. I immediately stopped and shut it down, to discover the radiator boiling. Well, I started it back up as nothing was leaking anywhere and in no time it cooled back down again. Since then, whenever I tow up hills, it doesn't take long to get close to the red line again. Is this a sign of the cylinder head surface problem or simply how Mitsi automatics handle loads?
It isn't very good especially considering I had a brand new radiator installed just 2 months prior to the first overheat, because the original was beginning to leak [possibly from the extra pressure of the recall work?]. If regular overheating is going to continue whenever I tow my camper [not a big load mind you], then what can be done apart from extra cooling additions like thermo fan or AT cooler?
Might ring Mitsi and ask what they think about it. I cannot go about overheating every camping trip I make, especially when it is only just over 100km from home, ridiculous.
2019 MR GLX+ manual. Stock for now...the future is always evolving.
wildturkeycanoe

Postby baito on Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:00 pm

sounds very simolar to my issues mate, id say your motor is no good... mine does the same as soon as it has any load on it she starts pushing the fluid out the radiator overflow and wont suck it back in when it cools down... im in the process of talking to mitsubishi about it now, heading to mitsi again tomorrow.

by the way when your gauge is in the red the engine will be up around 118-120 d c so probly good idea to pull over... the guage does not start to move on my ute till it reaches 110 d c...
baito

Previous

Return to Drive Train Components