Engine temps.

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Engine temps.

Postby psaunders on Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:58 pm

I never monitored before the service campaign but since I have had the campaign done I have started to monitor the temps and I have hit temps of about 101C unladen (maximum seen so far) on days where the ambient temp is about 35 or so.
I do drive up Mt Coot-tha to get to work and once the terrain starts levelling out again the temps drop quickly enough to roughly 90-93C on average.. I don't know what it was like before the campaign as I never monitored it beforehand so I can't say if that's higher or not.
psaunders

Postby jrs184 on Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:51 pm

AnOldFart wrote:
RHKTriton wrote:My ml never moves far off 80 for normal driving, maybe up to 85 during summer.

Can't see how egr reducing combustion temps would then end up in higher exhaust temps - where does this heat come from?

First Law of Thermodynamics, ie, Perpetual Motion... ;) ;)[/quote

There are a lot of factors to consider, this is not a directly logical question with only 2 variables. It is a very complex combustion process where fuel/air/oxygen/pressures/temperatures-inlet and outlet/backpressure/pressure drop/velocity of gases/ all contribute. It may appear at first sight to be illogical but it is a counter intuitive situation until every contributing thermodynamic is considered. For example, if a gas is accelerated, the velocity increases, the pressure and the temperature drops. if the velocity is reduced the pressure increases and the temperature rises, in a closed system the energy remains the same. Burn the gas/fuel, apply different oxygen levels, extract mechanical work/energy, dissipate heat, expand and contract the gases and you can see how the complexities start to increase...The internal combustion engine is thermally inefficient. Lots of heat/energy goes into the exhaust as waste and is conducted by materials in the engine itself that have to be removed to atmosphere. One of the ways exhaust temps in diesels increase is to reduce the temp of combustion by reducing the oxygen available by adding exhaust gas via the egr...
jrs184

Postby Moogun on Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:58 pm

3.2 runs at 80 - 83 pretty constant. Towed caravan other day, head wind, 37 degree heat. Water temp 94' air intake temp on scan gauge 75! Noticeable drop in power. Cooled quickly when slowed for towns so wasn't worried. Intercoolef def a thought from this.
Moogun

Postby murwullambah on Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:18 pm

My Challenger is running at 90-98 usually settles to 94 which i was a little concerned was hot, when i check engine block with a heat gun it only shows 69 degrees, so i assume the actual coolant temp is a lot hotter than the engine metal
murwullambah

Postby explorer.dave on Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:36 pm

2.5 TD MN 4sp AUTO
First decent run over the weekend with the Ultra-gauge, temps;
91-93 on the flats
93-98 in the hillier area's. (BUT..max altitude was ONLY 265m)
Speed set to 110kph on cruise control and set via GPS speed.
Couldn't believe how much the temps fluctuate, and how quickly they fluctuate, is that normal :?: first time for me with a digital read-out (Ultra-gauge) so don't really know what to expect here.
Hit 99 passing 2 road trains on the flats doing $1.40, temp dropped very quickly after settling back to 110.
Coolant was approx. 12mm above normal level at end of trip and engine still hot cooled down was at normal level.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:19 pm

Regular fluctuations are normal. Those temps look high though. Thermostat mod should bring them under 90.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby bigjobs on Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:57 pm

As I mentioned in the cooling system campaign thread, pre campaign mine always sat on 88° regardless, max I ever saw was 89°!

I stopped monitoring for several months but after recently noticing it was dropping coolant from the overflow bottle, I began monitoring it constantly - is all over the place now, still sits at about 88° but on flat roads and even just at idle it can climb up to about 98° was the highest so far. Rarely sits at the same temp for longer than 1 minute.

All normal apparently :roll:

Hasn't logged any fault codes yet, but I don't trust it now.
bigjobs

Postby Sickd on Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:41 pm

Mines an April built 2015 mn 2.5 manual and it sits around 87-90 and towing caravan it hit 92 diet for about half a minute.

Test will be hi 30s to echo a and back over Christmas with caravan,
Sickd

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:35 pm

Don't forget to check for grass and crap that accumulates between the AC condensor and radiator. Its amazing how much goes around the AC unit and sticks to the radiator.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby neville75 on Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:30 pm

Lit the fuse today, had cooling system campaign done.
Temps were between 91-94 prior, on the drive home saw as high as 97 before settling on 94 for most of the trip. Will keep checking. 2009 MN glxr manual, 43000km.
neville75

Postby hvac guy on Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:46 am

Re check the radiator level on the morning as well
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:19 pm

Do the higher pressure caps have the same return valve setup as the 1.1?
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby neville75 on Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:17 pm

hvac guy wrote:Re check the radiator level on the morning as well

Been about 5 days, driven about 3 times over that period, bottle was full all this time, small trip yesterday checked coolant level this morning reservoir was almost completely empty. Approx 500ml to fill and top up radiator. Temp hadn't risen past 90, so hope it's just an air lock and all is well now. Not one issue prior to cooling system campaign. :evil:
neville75

Postby Phil.Gorman on Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:48 pm

On Christmas Day we had to abort our caravanning holiday to the West Coast. Our 2015 PC Challenger could not tow our 1.49t (tare) van in hilly country without overheating the automatic transmission, or the engine or both together, causing frequent stops. The engine was also prone to "pinging/pinking under load. After the engine coolant finally boiled we gave up and returned home, slowly.

The caravan carried 130 litres of water, basic camping equipment and a week's rations. It's gross mass could not have exceeded 2t. The wagon carried two adults and a dog, 120 litres of fuel, 20 litres of water, basic recovery gear, snacks, clothing and a small toolbox (say 400k max) giving it an estimated GVM of no more than 2.5t. The estimated combined mass was therefore not more than 4.5t, well below the 5.65t specified maximum. I would be happy to to verify this on a weighbridge.

All fluid levels were checked before departure, the tyres inflated to 36psi on the wagon and the rear air bags to 20psi. The caravan has tandem wheels with tyres inflated to 35psi. It is well balanced, level and has always towed nicely.

I could not find a driving style that suited the vehicle. I limited the speed to 80 or 90kmh on the flat and tried not to drop below 20 on hills. Having started out selecting 4th gear in "sport mode" I tried easing the car by selecting 3rd or even 2nd on hills. I even tried "D". 5th was only selected down inclines. The air conditioning was turned off at times to ease the load. I also employed engine braking to keep the primary fan spinning.

At no time did any warning light display. The transmission would simply go into "limp mode", dropping into second gear and requiring an engine restart. The engine temperature gauge needed to be watched as it often rose above the mid line. After the engine coolant boiled its level was checked again with no apparent leakage.

Considering possible causes:
a programming problem;
faulty timing, with pre-ignition under load;
a faulty cooling system;
Mitsubishi's known 2014 problems with machining of the engine block and/or head.

I do not consider the Smart Bar, low profile driving lights or bash plates create air flow problems as our 2012 PB Challenger was identically equipped, plus a snorkel, and never had a problem with overheating.
Phil.Gorman

Postby jackman on Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:16 am

Phil
I have a PC Challenger and only tow a Pod trailer which is very light and 3 times now have had the same thing happen to me with the trans going in to second and having to pull over. On flat roads not too bad but as soon as we go up a incline or steepish climb the scangauge shows trans temp increasing to it goes into limp mode so now we baby it up all hills when towing which is painful and not really good enough but Mitsubishi say our ARB bar is the reason for this and thats that.

Other Challenger owners have reported the same thing on the Pajero forum.
jackman

Postby Tony on Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:40 am

Did the dealer fit the ARB bar on any of these? If so, suddenly they will probably discover the bar has nothing to do with the issue at all. :roll: The auto heating up and going into safe mode, plausible if not have cooler relocated, but not cause engine to overheat.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby coughy on Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:19 am

jackman wrote:Phil
I have a PC Challenger and only tow a Pod trailer which is very light and 3 times now have had the same thing happen to me with the trans going in to second and having to pull over. On flat roads not too bad but as soon as we go up a incline or steepish climb the scangauge shows trans temp increasing to it goes into limp mode so now we baby it up all hills when towing which is painful and not really good enough but Mitsubishi say our ARB bar is the reason for this and thats that.

what temp u getting in the trans??
as i bet my lefty that it isnt the tranny at all
trust me ive been lurking for a long time with similar issues but i have nilly fixed mine
it isnt the trans at all it is the over boost issue from going up the hill
put your scan gauge on the psi so it sees what the ecu is seeing in relation to the boost i have mine and it holds the boost for more than the ecu wants and goes into limp mode as it thinks the turbo is running away and then it knocks it out and goes limp

so nothing to do with the trans temp

trust me ive been working with a few smartys on here and we have found the problem and as a madder of fact i have not had a limp mode since i fixed mine..
and i tow a 1.5 tonne boat at 25psi up hills no problem

yours will be seeing the psi to high for to long and that is what is pissing of the ecu to go limp mode
BIG THANK YOU TONY.....
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby coughy on Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:24 am

@ Phil do you have a scan gauge ???
i think you need to look into this a bit deeper with the gauges to see the exact temps of motor and trans
is the latest software installed on your car??
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jackman on Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:40 am

coughy wrote:
jackman wrote:Phil

what temp u getting in the trans??
as i bet my lefty that it isnt the tranny at all
trust me ive been lurking for a long time with similar issues but i have nilly fixed mine
it isnt the trans at all it is the over boost issue from going up the hill
put your scan gauge on the psi so it sees what the ecu is seeing in relation to the boost i have mine and it holds the boost for more than the ecu wants and goes into limp mode as it thinks the turbo is running away and then it knocks it out and goes limp

so nothing to do with the trans temp

trust me ive been working with a few smartys on here and we have found the problem and as a madder of fact i have not had a limp mode since i fixed mine..
and i tow a 1.5 tonne boat at 25psi up hills no problem

yours will be seeing the psi to high for to long and that is what is pissing of the ecu to go limp mode
BIG THANK YOU TONY.....

Trans temp hits either 112 or 114c when it goes into limp mode. No dash lights etc. Have a 3'' dump pipe but have taken the 3'' exhaust off and fitted a 21/2 in due to droning. Bar fitted by ARB. Someone did tell me a while ago that the bigger exhaust can cause overboost but might try the psi idea.
jackman

Postby coughy on Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:19 pm

really that temps??
m8 i think you need a better cooler or move it as i tow a 1.5 tonne boat and max temps get to 92 deg c
is there enough fluid in trans??
is the fluid in trans clean? smell ok colour ok??
maybe even wrong type in there???
yes the 3" dumpy will cause it for some and not others
my m8 has a full 3" and never one problem and is running more boost like me and a chip
sounds like you could be slipping like a bitch
have you done the torque convertor test to see what rpm it is slipping at???
it is in the service manual how to test i give you a link to sus it out
if cant find it there i will dig it up for you...

http://faq.out-club.ru/download/pajero_ ... dex_M1.htm

tranny.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jackman on Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:03 pm

Thanks for the link. I will look into it. Trans fluid etc all good. Scangauge shows trans temps of 88-90 just in heavy traffic sometimes. I thought that must be normal. Trans always feels like it is slipping but believe the bigger tyres (265/70/17) don't help. Thanks for the info.
jackman

Postby coughy on Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:18 pm

i have 265/70/17 and mine goes like a rocket
my trans temp i noticed yesterday normal driving 77 deg c so yer normal
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Phil.Gorman on Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:06 pm

Thanks guys. Our hot and botherd PC Challenger with 14,400 on the clock is in the dealership being tested now. Should know the diagnosis and what the dealer is prepared to do by tomorrow lunchtime. :(

I'm not going to settle for the new thermostat, higher coolant pressure,tweaked computer and she'll be right mate, get on yer way. :evil: That's just stressing the system more, asking for even more trouble and copping it later. As nobody has ever got a replacement car or a refund I will hang out for the replacement engine option. I now have their courtesy car as a hostage. :twisted: Wish me luck.

What's the story with the overheating register? Is it going to be published? Is it going to be used in evidence? Anybody know?

Scanguage sounds like the go. What about hooking up a mobile phone to the car's computer outlet? What app would be best for Android?
Phil.Gorman

Postby hvac guy on Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:45 pm

What year ?
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:50 am

All you owners that have experienced the 'cooking' issue should form a class action to either have the vehicle replaced with a complete working one from the factory, as you originally purchased, or if the engine has/needs to be replaced, should receive a cash amount on top of the replaced engine as part of a compensation package.

I find it hard to believe with all the computer tracking, etc during the production process, that Mitsubishi haven't a start and finish serial number for the dud engines and where they have gone. Reeks of 'shit-san! We'll see how many lemons we can ignore' :lol:
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components