Turbo Lag

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: turbo lag mn 2.5l manual

Postby Tony on Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:16 pm

The lag on the manual is not that bad, its the massive punch they give in the torque curve that make it more noticeable. If you don't want to chip and EGR blank it just learn how to drive it. My missus has no issues with ours towing a double horse float and has 32" tyres. I have chipped it since but that's just me :roll:
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ironhide on Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:30 pm

Kegsy wrote:The wastegate and chip are both the offenders of turbo lag, and both are things you can't change without potentially risking warranty claim issues.

The 2.5ltr doesnt have waste gate turbo! It has a IHI vnt turbo. Otherwise known as a varible geometry turbo. The VNT controls maximum boost too, it also controls air flow at low boost. The movable vanes close so air speed is increased at it contacts the turbine & so making the turbo spool up faster to minimise lag. It also controls airflow throughout the boost range.
ironhide

Postby Bennys on Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:32 pm

I don't find it that bad at all, just plan ahead when ur driving (like u should be anyway) and accelerate a second before. Ur driving style will adjust. I went from driving a hsv, to a petrol paj and now the triton. The triton can move pretty quick if u need it too.
Last edited by Bennys on Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bennys

Postby ironhide on Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:37 pm

The 2.5 ltr doesnt have a lot of lag. It does have throttle lag, due to how to ecu is programed by mitsu. They minimise the fuel going in at low revs to eliminate the exhaust fumes and to give better fuel economy. I have the stienbauer module and it works a treat. Like a rocket of the line, and pulls like a freight train.I would recomend it as it has no problems like the other modules, and wont hurt your engine due to how it works, and its built in saftey feature. :lol: No smoke either!!!!!!
ironhide

Postby quigley595 on Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:58 pm

I just took delivery of a 2.5 MN manual. Having come from a WRX, I dont find the turbo lag too bad really. It gets up and goes when I want it to.

Only criticism I have is the gear ratios... I find I am constantly changing gears. But I guess I will get used to it.

So far I am happy.... no mods yet, but am considering the EGR blank and an oil catch can. Dont think I will go as far as chipping it.
quigley595

Postby Tony on Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:05 pm

quigley595 wrote:I just took delivery of a 2.5 MN manual. Having come from a WRX, I dont find the turbo lag too bad really. It gets up and goes when I want it to.

Only criticism I have is the gear ratios... I find I am constantly changing gears. But I guess I will get used to it.

So far I am happy.... no mods yet, but am considering the EGR blank and an oil catch can. Dont think I will go as far as chipping it.

Good luck making the EGR blank work with no chip, unless you drill a small hole in it. :roll:
Catch can is a must. Mine has oil mist all through the inlet at only 25000 kms. Although on the first service some short necked goose overfilled it :x
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby karloss on Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:30 pm

thanks heaps fellas for good sujestions i think chipping it and a visit to the dyno will fix

stuff the waranty :lol:
karloss

Postby Longranger1 on Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:49 pm

Good luck making the EGR blank work with no chip, unless you drill a small hole in it. :roll:
Catch can is a must. Mine has oil mist all through the inlet at only 25000 kms. Although on the first service some short necked goose overfilled it :x[/quote]

I have done about 1200 kms with an EGR plate now in my MN GLX-R. Checking the ECU for error codes has come up clean with no errors as yet and none are expected at least in relation to the EGR. 8-)

I am fitting an oil catch can though..
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Turbo Lag

Postby Deefa on Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:25 pm

Hi, just wanting to know if anyone has installed a chip it and egr blanking plate to a 2010 2.5 ltr auto to reduce the turbo lag and what differance it made. Any help would be great.
Deefa

Re: Turbo Lag

Postby reeldreamer on Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:44 pm

Search mate.........There is a sponsor thread by chipit with heaps of info!
Bash plates and other cool gear from Prestige Offroad Accessories

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=80
reeldreamer

Postby Lee-thal on Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:15 pm

How many ks do you have on your MN??

Cheers
Lee-thal

Postby Deefa on Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:26 pm

Not quite 11000kms. It's about 7 months old.Some people say not to do it until it's got 20000kms but i know people who put the chips in other 4wds from new with no problems.
Deefa

Postby ultimate on Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:32 pm

You should try the Sprint Booster. It makes a huge difference to the vehicle's acceleration and is a lot cheaper than most of the other chips. It does work on a different section of the vehicle but is well worth a look. Have a read of this thread for more info. viewtopic.php?f=56&t=5906

If you have any questions about it, please feel free to send me a PM.
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby Deefa on Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:23 pm

Have you tried a sprint booster with the egr plate as it's the turbo lag i want to reduce
Deefa

Postby Tony on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:16 pm

Have tried all......... No comment :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:

The blank will make bugger all difference other than cause a CEL with no chip or 6mm hole. SB makes it feel much lighter to drive but wont get rid of the lag. (Its the truth as I have one)

You may want to do some reading on the chips and make your own mind up :roll: :lol: :lol:

Still, the SB does make it a lot nicer to drive and does mask the lag to some extent. I wouldn't be with out it now.

Cheers T
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Lee-thal on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:04 pm

I find the lag in mine got smaller and smaller as time went on, after the first 15000 service it changed dramatically now done 29000km and hardly even notice it anymore, try waiting for a few thousand and see what she feels like after that.

Cheers
Lee-thal

Postby mad992 on Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:26 pm

Lee-thal wrote:I find the lag in mine got smaller and smaller as time went on, after the first 15000 service it changed dramatically now done 29000km and hardly even notice it anymore, try waiting for a few thousand and see what she feels like after that.

Cheers

what he said :!:
mad992

Postby Davor on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:04 pm

I have a SprintBooster and it has helped speed up the process of obtaining revs rather than reducing turbo lag.

It basically gets you on full boost a little quicker which makes the ute easier to drive. I like to turn the Sprint Booster off every now and then just to make myself appreciate it a little more.

:D
Davor

Postby ultimate on Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:27 am

As Davor said, the Sprint Booster increases the reaction time of the engine and makes the vehicle a lot nicer to drive. Because of the actual turbo design, the lag will still be noticeable with the Sprint booster and most other products.

It really depends on what you are trying to achieve with the vehicle. A lot of the guys on here have told me that the Sprint Booster makes enough of a change to not worry about any other product. The members who are running it in conjunction with a diesel chip love the combination and than there are people like Borngeek and GLXR-MN who will never be satisfied with the power gains :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Re: MY10 MN Triton turbo lag

Postby biggibbo on Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:06 pm

Yesterday the MN went into limp mode throwing codes P0299 and P0107. P0299 is pretty normal as the MAP sensor has been buggered for months, But the new code made it go into limp mode.

I have been waiting on a new MAP sensor for 2 months to fix the power loss and surging problems I have been experiencing. It was booked in for replacement yesterday, but didn't make it to Sydney. NRMA cleared a blockage in the MAP hose and got it out of limp mode.

Anyways, got it to Sydney to replace the sensor and get a call from the dealer letting me know its been replaced, however it is still down on power slightly and that the Turbo needs replacing.

There is oil leaking from the Turbo in excess of what is considered normal which is causing underboost problems. Dealer reckons this will fix the power problems once and for all, lets hope. The turbo is coming from Japan and will be about another 3 weeks.
biggibbo

Re: MY10 MN Triton turbo lag

Postby GLX-R Alex on Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:31 pm

If you block the EGR with the chipit , It will also half your turbo lag...
GLX-R Alex

MY10 MN Triton turbo lag

Postby biggibbo on Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:20 pm

GLX-R Alex wrote:If you block the EGR with the chipit , It will also half your turbo lag...

Or you may blow a turbo and your MAP sensor.
biggibbo

The Dreaded Turbo Lag on MN

Postby hcr83 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:05 pm

Gday Triton Fans,

just wondering if anyone has worked out how to eliminate the dreaded turbo lag that the MN has!

i have recently installed the Sprint Booster, Chip and 3" Exhaust....this has made a huge performance difference however the lag is still the same. :x

I pulled out in front of a car the other day with plenty of time but by the time the turbo had kicked in the car was having to slow down for me!!! :o Freaking Dangerous as well as Painful!

look forward to hearing if theres any quick fix for this - i doubt there would be. :(

Cheers
It is what it is...
hcr83

Re: The Dreaded Turbo Lag on MN

Postby motoz on Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:14 pm

I think its just the way the VGT (Variable-geometry turbocharger) on the MN is.

Maybe a 25hp shot of NO2 to help it spool up faster maybe the go... ;)
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Re: The Dreaded Turbo Lag on MN

Postby burnah on Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:39 pm

The standard MN 2.5 (No VGT) is the same. :(
burnah
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components