Reinforced cv joints?

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Reinforced cv joints?

Postby Tom_Dunpeal on Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:46 am

Hey guys, I'm on the search for reinforced cv joints for my 2008 Triton. Any ideas where I can find some?
Tom_Dunpeal

Re: Reinforced cv joints?

Postby har05l on Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:25 am

Call these guys ;) . There in OZ but there cv's are by far the best 8-)

http://www.yuri4x4.com/cv_joints.php
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:33 am

Tom it really would not be a good idea.... IMO a CV will fail for a reason and they are rebuildable and much cheaper than rebuilding a diff. ;)

Are you breaking them constant? (ie. your motivation)

To me they seem quite tough in these vehicles and takes a fair bit to snap them...
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Reinforced cv joints?

Postby fridgie on Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:37 am

borngeek wrote:Tom it really would not be a good idea.... IMO a CV will fail for a reason and they are rebuildable and much cheaper than rebuilding a diff. ;)

Are you breaking them constant? (ie. your motivation)

To me they seem quite tough in these vehicles and takes a fair bit to snap them...

X2
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:58 am

may be time to jump into a Unimog!
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:07 am

Yep, as mentioned...The CV's are a cheap fuse compared to blowing a diff. If your constantly breaking CV's maybe change your driving style a bit. :roll: Or get a bigger truck :lol:
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:40 pm

I think if you did intend on running yuri cv's or anything similar the idea would be you have the front diff locked as well. As said above by strengthening the cv it would now not be the weak point. Just a thought but if you do cv's do the D/L as well ;)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:01 pm

So...someone else who thinks the D/L will decrease CV damage/breakage rather than increase it?

And I agree that the CV's are a good fuse to protect a much more expensive repair.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby har05l on Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:12 pm

Homer wrote:So...someone else who thinks the D/L will decrease CV damage/breakage rather than increase it?

And I agree that the CV's are a good fuse to protect a much more expensive repair.

Yes homer, as you know the cv is the intended weak point as it's much cheaper and easier fix than a gear set ;)

I only know of the yuri cv's cause a mate kept busting them when he locked the front of his toyota surf with a 4wd systems locka. After a couple of breakages he sourced these and never had a problem again. The difference is you have the air locker so you'd be less likely to break as its not permanently locked in but I think if you do ever snap a set you to would want to upgrade to this form.

Hope that all makes sense ;)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:37 pm

I assumed that Ken was also suggesting that the diff internals on an ARB locker for example might be a little stronger than the OEM gear that would otherwise be there. Does that sound right?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby har05l on Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:41 pm

Yes that's right CD. The weak point now becomes weaker :shock:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:43 pm

:lol: :lol: I haven't got a clue what we are saying....

I figured the front locker reduces front wheel speed quite significantly (even more if I can find an ABS switch :roll: ) so reduces the impact back on the ground (when bouncing/jumping) and therefore breakages.

Would increase risk at full lock or droop and driving off one loaded wheel though maybe?

I didn't even think about the ARB gear in the diff being stronger...good possibility.

I haven't heard much about broken ARB diffs...but haven't looked...
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Tom_Dunpeal on Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:44 am

Hey guys!, Deeply sorry haven't been able to visit for a while, has been a hell of a week.
My spouse caught a cold, so i had to figure work, and also taking care of our kid, who's 4 months old.

Nope, I really am not into unimogs :D

Well,I haven't broken a cv joint...yet. I'm going for the arb locker on the front, and lokka on the rear diff. but I've heard nasty stories from a couple of friends who did something similar, and being locked, in a muddy confrontation, suddenly tires goes to full torque due to the locker, and voilá, there goes the r&p, or **SNAP!** there goes the cv joint. So, i'm in the search for the cv joints, and i'll continue on the search for reinforced internals for both front and rear.

I'm not really on rock climbing, and I do drive very carefully, it's just I feel this time like I wanna give my Triton a couple of nasty sharp teeth, and honestly, after hearing horror stories about snapping joints and blowing diffs, I'm starting to search for reinforced internals.

People keep telling me that if I use arb locker, I'm gonna need the reinforced internals in order not to break anything later, or to be left stranded due to broken internals.

But I hadn't really thought about what u say that the joints are the cheaper fuse.

So, what u guys will recommend after reading my crazy idea?

and sorry, but can anyone please explain what means D/L?
Tom_Dunpeal

Postby ag9111 on Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:57 am

D/L= diff lock
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tom_Dunpeal on Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:50 am

ohhh thnx
Tom_Dunpeal

Postby Tom_Dunpeal on Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:48 pm

hey guys, I reached yuri 4x4 for a quote on the reinforced cv's, but has come to an interesting corner. Figures, according to the guys at Yuri4x4, that the model I own, was not sold in Australia. So it is not possible to find a set of matching cv's directly from mitsu Australia, but i have to send a set of cv's from Panama.
I own a 4d56 KB4T, Did, common rail Triton, with automatic gearbox, and a 4.1 gear ratio.
sounds familiar to anyone?
Tom_Dunpeal

Postby trickydevil on Mon May 02, 2011 8:06 am

I've done a CV, full noise in first Low, bounced the front and CRACK >>>>> then backwards down a red clay hill.... fun times... my own fault, should have dropped the tyre pressures abit more and hit it in second @ 2500rpm .... dam green eyed monster.

I agree with homer that the CV's are easier to fix on the side of the road. About 1 1/2 hours and 2 beers and you're off and running. CV's between $150-$200 second hand. If you do a crown wheel off to the mechanics for a coupla days and about $2k out of your pocket...... I know what i'd prefer.. :twisted: :twisted:
trickydevil

Postby Tom_Dunpeal on Tue May 03, 2011 2:18 am

well, it figures that there is no availability of cv's for my triton. mine's a KB4TGJRXZL.
Apparently, this model is not available in Australia, therefore there is not a compatible cv that I can buy for reinforcing and send it to Panama.
So, I'm gonna leave them as they are, and I'm gonna go for the rear diff lock only
Tom_Dunpeal

Return to Drive Train Components