4x4 light flashing

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

4x4 light flashing

Postby fvee91 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:02 pm

Hi All
Over the weekend driving on inconsistant snow and ice I found that after a while of driving without any snow the 4WD light would start to flash. If I popped the lever back to 2x4 the light would go out without any drama. Is this normal? Even without snow and ice the road was quite wet.

PS I dont have the super select 4x4 system, the lever only shows 2H, 4H and 4L

Thanks

Daniel
fvee91

Re: 4x4 light flashing

Postby SecondEye on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:08 pm

Some of the guys on here have mentioned the light will flash for a hour two or even a week. Seems to be tempremental. Maybe check your oil levels quality and right type. If you search the forums you should find more topics on this light flashing issue.
SecondEye

Postby Mongrel on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:20 pm

fvee91 wrote:Hi All
Over the weekend driving on inconsistant snow and ice I found that after a while of driving without any snow the 4WD light would start to flash. If I popped the lever back to 2x4 the light would go out without any drama. Is this normal? Even without snow and ice the road was quite wet.

Thanks

Daniel

I don't claim to be an expert but I wouldn't be driving in 4H if you are on the tarmac.

Here is an extract from the link below. Without Super Select I would not use 4H on the road.

http://www.pps.net.au/4wdencounter/4wdt ... tures.html

When a part-time 4WD (without a centre differential) is in 4WD an attempts to corner on bitumen, all wheels need to rotate at different speeds, but without a centre differential they cannot. This creates the phenomena called "axle windup" or "transmission windup". High strain is placed on the drive shafts and transmission, eventually causing one of two things to happen. Either one of the wheels slips or spins to overcome the stress or the drive-shaft/transmission breaks. This is why part time 4WD’s should never select 4WD on bitumen.
Ain't Nothing Like a Mongrel. :twisted:
Mongrel

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:23 pm

What sort of speeds are we talking about here? And was this wet road slippery or not? There are a few threads around about not running in 4H on road unless you have the super-select. I'm thinking yours might be such a case but I've not read before of it causing the flashing lights, I think it's usually nasty noises that people hear. :?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Mongrel on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:27 pm

I have to say that I used my constant 4WD (Super Select) on the dirt roads out to Trilby. I don't know if it was all in my head or not, but it just felt like it hugged the road better. :)
Mongrel

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:29 pm

I would do the same with super select on dirt or in the wet. But not with easy select or whatever the other one is called. This was one of the reasons I went with the Triton since at the time none of the other dual cabs were doing the whole AWD thing. If it's good enough for all those Subarus and Audis then it's good enough for my Triton :D

Cowboy Dave

Postby Mongrel on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:34 pm

The only one thing I can't find is... can you do more than 100 in AWD? I know I need to be under 100 to move the shifter, but can I go above 100 once engaged?

Can't find it in the manual.
Mongrel

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:37 pm

Yeah I think so. I know I have. Actually I've done it towing and all. Not sure why, just because I could I suppose. :lol: I've been too scared to shift from 2wd to AWD at anything above 40 odd kms, but changing from AWD to 2wd i've done at close to 100. I know they say you can do it, but I can't help but imagine the sound if I get it wrong at that sort of speed...

Cowboy Dave

Postby MUD LARK on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:39 pm

I have used 4WD "Super Select" on the tarmac, up / down hill roads with hair pin bends on every turn and whilst it's heavily raining!!
And it does seems to hug the the road better!!
No light shows during this mode....
Buy some timbers at Bunnings, built a bridge then get over it!!!
MUD LARK

Postby ag9111 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:42 pm

Not a good idea to drive a vehicle with easy select on a tarmac road unless you are driving over snow and ice. You will get transmission windup, which in extreme circumstances, will bust something. this is explained better in the operation manual. but who ever reads that stupid thing :roll: :lol:
Wonderful part about the super select transmission
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mongrel on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:43 pm

I shift comfortably at around 80k no probs. I have noticed though that the lights will flash until the second time I push the clutch in - say going form 4th to 5th, but then they go out.
Mongrel

Postby Earlyninja on Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:10 pm

Super select actually does hug the road better in AWD. After driving a AWD for the last 3 years and then driving a triton in 2x4 mode, I find that the front wheels feel slippery when turning.

The flashing light usually turns off after the gears are engaged properly, so unless transmission windup half disengages the gears... just saying because when the 4x4 light flashed on mine it was during a intermittent sealed/unsealed winding road, and in a slow potholed section, the front left tyre 'hung' in a pothole and unwound a bit. stopped flashing after that.
Earlyninja

Postby fvee91 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:12 pm

Thanks for the help guys. The road was quite wet and it didnt feel like I was getting wind up. Also when I pushed it back to 2H it just came straight out of 4WD. I noticed a few times if there is a bit of wind up it will not come out of 4WD until it unwinds it self.

Next time ill let it flash and see if it goes away

Cheers
Daniel
fvee91

4x4 light flashing

Postby MN GLXR on Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:51 am

I recall this was discussed once before. No problem driving in 4H on Tarmac in super select as no part of the diffs are "locked" so the wheels are free to spin at different speeds.

Does Easy Select lock the centre diff in 4H? If not then there should be no problem driving on Tarmac.

Cheers MN GLXR via Tapatalk
MN GLXR

Postby Joe on Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:26 am

Easy Select locks the centre diff in 4H and should not be used on bitumen.
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby jos89h on Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:26 pm

fvee91 wrote:Hi All

Thanks

Daniel

My 4wd light has been flashing consistently for the last 3 weeks when in any selection (2H, 4H, 4L). Have sent it into Mitsubishi, they think its a faulty solenoid, just waiting on parts now to see if it fixes it.
jos89h

Postby Lanceuppercut on Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Anyone know I put my 3inch exhaust on with no cat or muffler and was fine until later on I reversed out of my driveway and my 4wd light is flashing in 2x4 if I swith to h4 or l4 it stays solid any idea I thoungt must be some sensor not liking something now ?
Lanceuppercut

Postby coxy47 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:49 pm

Not sure its any help but my understanding of the system is that youve likely knocked a vacuum hose.

I assume you arent experiencing any windup?
coxy47

Postby Lanceuppercut on Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:51 pm

Car running fine just flashing light in dash
Lanceuppercut

Postby coxy47 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:08 pm

Im not certain then since you have a GLR. I cant see it being anything other then the actuator or a vacuum hose related to it. More so since the accumulator is near the exhaust.

Sorry im not more help.
coxy47

Postby Lanceuppercut on Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:13 am

U hit the nail with the hammer coxy got up early discerning had another look in engine bay and u where right there was a small slit in the vacume hose must been from trying to get cat out all good now no flashing light
Lanceuppercut

Postby coxy47 on Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:38 am

Good to hear it's sorted mate.
coxy47

Postby kxboss on Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:06 pm

Didnt read all the replies but if it is like a problem I had on a Challenger check the tyre pressures a few pound out and it will cause the light to flash.
kxboss

Return to Drive Train Components