Tech article - How to adjust the handbrake - ML dualcab

Tech article - How to adjust the handbrake - ML dualcab

Postby subi_man on Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:42 am

How to adjust the handbrake - ML dualcab

Adjusting your handbrake is quite easy, and can be carried out as follows. It goes without saying that the vehicle should be parked on level ground, or chocked so it cannot roll away during the adjustment!

Open the lid of the centre console. With a cloth wrapped screwdriver, prise out the removable section which houses the rear window switch and power outlet.
Click to view larger picture

Remove the wires from the switch and power outlet to enable access to the handbrake adjuster.

It's then a simple matter of adjusting the 10mm nut until you are happy with the tension of the handbrake. **Be careful not to overtighten the adjuster**

By removing the two screws from inside the bottom of the center console box, and pulling some clips at the front, you can completely remove the center console section to enable better access to the adjuster

Cheers!
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Re: Tech article - How to adjust the handbrake - ML dualcab

Postby trytin on Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:09 pm

Subi, good timing as doing mine this weekend. Thought this was raised sometime ago here been looking all week for the post because I could remember the adjustment was somewhere in the console. Its a pity the dealer's dont seem to be interested in adjusting these anymore when they do the service.
trytin

Postby tokirky on Thu May 21, 2009 7:49 pm

good one subi, i was trying to sort out how to get (2nd batt) aux power into the cab to that aux plug and you solved it....
Might even look at the hand brake while i'm there... :lol:
If its worth doin' its worth doin' right !
tokirky

Postby Diddy on Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:47 pm

do u have to have the handbrake on or off for the adjustment subi?
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Postby subi_man on Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:14 am

The handbrake should be off for the initial adjustment. I would tighten the nut a turn or so, and then test it out, and re-adjust if it needs more. Just be careful that you don't make the handbrake too tight

Hope that helps 8-)
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:49 pm

It's a good idea to adjust your rear brake shoes before adjusting the handbrake. They're supposed to be self adjusting, but aren't really. Then adjust the handbrake so that you get 3-4 clicks without excessive force.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Diddy on Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:35 pm

maybe they need some grease on the adjusters cos i no with trucks if the auto slack adjusters dont get any grease the dont work at all
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Postby MitsiGuy on Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:55 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:It's a good idea to adjust your rear brake shoes before adjusting the handbrake. They're supposed to be self adjusting, but aren't really. Then adjust the handbrake so that you get 3-4 clicks without excessive force.

This is a good point.. DON'T just adjust it at the handle.. Most of the time if you adjust the rear brake / wheels 99% of the time it will fix your handbrake adjustment. After you adjust your rear brakes if you need to fine tune the handle or take slack out of the handle or even loosen it adjust it at the handle.

The adjustment point for the rear brakes is in the backing plate. A little rubber grommet bout an inch long. Dont even need to remove the wheels to do it either

If you only adjust it at the handle then you will stretch your handbrake cables prematurely.

I work in a dealer and it even shits me when other techs don't adjust handbrakes.. I adjust them if needed. It only takes 10mins.
MitsiGuy

Postby subi_man on Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:23 pm

Thanks 5th & Mitsuguy - I didn't know that
Andrew

subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby johnnie5 on Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:37 pm

also when you have your rear brakes adjusted properly the vehicle also stops a hell of a lot better and loses the nose dive effect
johnnie5

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:49 pm

Good that someone got onto the brake shoe adjustment.

On my MB Vito the handbrake was nearly useless from day one. The dealer confirmed that they'd adjusted the brakes on several services and they never seemed any better. Then when I finally replaced the rear discs and pads, I found that the brakes had never been set from the factory and the dealer had only ever tightened the cable adjuster at the handle.

You should always start at the wheels - as the nut at the handle is really to compensate for the cable length/tolerance.

After a correct setting I could lock the rear wheels.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby subi_man on Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:00 pm

RHKTriton wrote:Good that someone got onto the brake shoe adjustment.

On my MB Vito the handbrake was nearly useless from day one. The dealer confirmed that they'd adjusted the brakes on several services and they never seemed any better. Then when I finally replaced the rear discs and pads, I found that the brakes had never been set from the factory and the dealer had only ever tightened the cable adjuster at the handle.

You should always start at the wheels - as the nut at the handle is really to compensate for the cable length/tolerance.

After a correct setting I could lock the rear wheels.

Feel free to write a tech article on how to adjust the rear brake shoes on the Triton. I might work it out one day, but it would be better if someone who knew what they were doing stepped up to the plate 8-)

Cheers
Andrew

subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:08 pm

Now there's a good idea - I bought a brake adjusting tool yesterday in anticipation of just such a thing...
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Homer on Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:56 am

In the old days it was just a screwdriver through the peep hole to tighten/turn the sprocket/ratchet. Wouldn't have a clue these days..
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:12 am

Exactly the same, Homer. But now there's a special tool. Looks just like a screwdriver but bent shaft and no handle. Costs twice as much, though.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:51 pm

only twice as much? where can I get one that cheap? :lol: :lol:

I figured room would be tight so a bent one would work better. Now all I need to know is which way to turn the stupid adjustment thing. Hmm, maybe I'll have to read that manual again...
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby tassietriton on Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:43 pm

After a good mud bathing I noticed that my brakes became very spongey and had increased pedal travel. The handbrake also needs a lot more lift to hold.
Rang Mrs Bitchey and was told that mud getting on to the drums wears the drums and/or increases the gap between the drum and the pad - thereby making the brakes less effective.
Quote is $100 to adjust.
Sound right?
tassietriton

Return to Tips & Tricks