Turbo Wastegate arm "ADJUSTMENT MOD" And full test results

Turbo Wastegate arm "ADJUSTMENT MOD" And full test results

Postby GLX-R Alex on Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:01 am

Here is a full test and step by step of todays successfull WASTEGATE ARM ADJUSTMENT and scangauge fit up.

So with the arrival of my scangauge i am able to see my turbochargers pressure settings etc and also i have been interested to make the adjustment to the threaded rod on the wastegate arm to increse the spring tension and hopefully give me a pressure increase without having to put on a bleed valve, continuing my stealth approach to modifying it. :lol:

So I set up the scan gauge an mounted it and went through the usual calibrations and adjustments of the boost pressure settings for altitude and atmospheric pressure. Bla Bla Bla etc. Some minor tweaking later and i now have it set so with the engine off i get a reading of 0.0 PSI. When the engine is running you get around about -0.2 to -0.4 psi due to some inlet manifold vaccum . All feels normal. Went for a burn up the street and it registers a maximum of 14.5 PSI which sounds about right and is similar to the figures being thrown around here. The Scangauge readings seem very accurate.

1.So what we are doing here is using the spare 6mm or so of spare thread on the wastegate arms rod, screwing the rod end up and increasing the acctuator arms tension.. Easy.
Click to view larger picture

2. Undo the locking nut with a 10mm spanner and screw it up the rod. Also remove the clip which holds the rod arm on. Once removed off the flapper , screw the rod end up to meet the nut.

3. To re fit the rod end back to the flapper , the tension is quite a bit so i un bolted the actuator from the compressor cover, it made it much easier. Just 2 bolts.

4. Finished Adjusted actuator arm. You can see the rod end is screwed up to the maximum amount the threaded rod can go. Clip re-fitted and lock nut done up. All in all you couldnt tell ive been there . all witness white marker dots re done. Stealth... :mrgreen:

Now testing...
Corrected atmospheric adjustments and engine off showing 0.0 psi

Engine running at idol and Air Con running shows -0.6 psi , so minor manifold vacume. All OK

Here are some vids of the final tested results. Im very pleased with the figures as its about what i wanted to achieve without making any changes to the fuel settings..
Standard was 14.5 PSI and now just a simple adjustment of the wastegate arm rod gives a nice safe 16.2 psi. Done in 3rd gear full throttle up a hill. So this should be max load. My triton has the EGR blanking shim fitted so boost comes on instantly. It feels seat of the pants impression more powerfull as it should, Almost quick for a big vehicle. The TURBLO sound is also now more noticable , so im liking it. Almost audible in the vids...This is how ALL 3.2 CRI should go from factory, Not putting up with soot and laging turbo's . Shame i have to do these mods to make it go how i would expect.

FULLY SICK MOVIE .. CLICKY CLICKY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq2RrYfp-v0

And most important we can see no fault codes are present and all in the engine bay looks completly stock. I will test this theory when it goes for its next service at the stealer.. :ugeek:

Have fun.
Last edited by GLX-R Alex on Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GLX-R Alex

Re: Turbo Waistgate arm "ADJUSTMENT MOD" And full test results

Postby Naff on Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:07 am

*looks up Alex's address*

:lol:

When I get to VIC, someone can do this for me :P
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Buzzy on Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:10 am

Fathers day is coming up, I can see a scangauge in my car shortley 8-)
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby sam on Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:25 am

Buzzy wrote:Fathers day is coming up, I can see a scangauge in my car shortley 8-)

Buzzy they are a very worth while bit of gear to have imho and I wouldn't go ANY where now without one. ;)

Also great work GLX-R was something I kept looking at but never got to do so need to get my act together and do some adjusting .
sam

Postby GLX-R Alex on Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:54 am

Looking into this method more, Its actually called spring pre-loading. It makes the actuator open later as it has more tension and the maximim opperating rating of it is only raised a tad.

Well what we can see from this is that if you max out the arm the most you will ever get is a safe 16.2 psi.. :P
So i cant see why you couldnt do this on a stock GLX-R with no boost gauge. Its safely possible.
GLX-R Alex

Postby Blue on Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:31 am

GLX-R Alex wrote:Click to view larger picture

The scangauge should read: No Codes Found -Ready- if it's set up properly, have you achieved this...??? I have fiddled with mine for several hours on several occasions and it always says "Not Ready" - all the gauges work fine though :|
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GLX-R Alex on Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:04 pm

I think its only to prepair american cars for smog testing purposes so no big deal , I didnt bother to worry about it. I simply scaned for any present codes and there were none to be seen.
GLX-R Alex

Postby sam on Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:05 pm

I'm trying to work out how you got the PSI reading on your scangauge but as an older bloke would like to know how it's done :?:
Had a look in the destruction manual but couldn't see anything about PSI :roll: so any help would be appreciated ;)
sam

Postby jop on Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:09 pm

Nice write up mate, well done
jop

Postby GLX-R Alex on Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:07 pm

sam wrote:I'm trying to work out how you got the PSI reading on your scangauge but as an older bloke would like to know how it's done :?:
Had a look in the destruction manual but couldn't see anything about PSI :roll: so any help would be appreciated ;)

I simply wrote PSI in the setup instead of BST :geek:
GLX-R Alex

Postby snowman on Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:15 pm

sweet work GLX-R Alex,

when am i booked in??? :D :D :D
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby subi_man on Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:26 pm

Nice work Alex 8-)
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Davey on Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:52 pm

Will the increased boost be detectable by the dealer when they plug into the computer?
Would like to do this but I am worried it would be easily detected and void the warranty!
Davey

Postby sierra on Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:36 pm

No adjustment on the 2.5 rod. :(

Only 2 ways I can see and that's to bleed air from the compressor/actuator line or slip a plate or washers under the actuator to lift it and simulate shortening the rod.
They must be very confident about the ability of the engine to take higher boost than specified to cut out that adjustment to save a couple of dollars.
sierra

Postby GLX-R Alex on Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:50 pm

Well the only way the ECU or dealer will detect a change is if it exceded 20psi. Theres no way the stock actuator will go that high. I saw on the scangauge today once when i shifted back to 3rd and booted it, the pressure got to 16.5psi. The actuator rod is completly maxed out so i think thats about it. Its also a safe limit for the stock ECU so no chance of damage. A 2 PSI change isnt a huge amount. Anyway you havent changed anything but the preload on the spring inside the actuator.

I let my boss drive the triton today , He drives a Toyota SR5 with the D4-d 3.0. He was impressed with the power and torque of the Triton and commented it had alot more power and low down grunt. Previously he had said it was a shitbox...

My other work mate who just got an SR5 also had made his desition to get the Toyota because he believed that the 3.0 D4-d had more bottom end pulling power, As seen on the Hilux brocures. When he sampled the my triton i told him to floor it in 3rd., He went.. "Hoooly Shiiit"... :lol: :lol: :lol:

:twisted:
GLX-R Alex

Postby GLX-R Alex on Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:55 pm

Davey wrote:Will the increased boost be detectable by the dealer when they plug into the computer?
Would like to do this but I am worried it would be easily detected and void the warranty!

As you can see in the pics above, No detection to be found bu the ECU :P
GLX-R Alex

Postby FreestyleCab on Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:24 pm

Buzzy wrote:Fathers day is coming up, I can see a scangauge in my car shortley 8-)

PM me for NewTriton special pricing....
Brett
FreestyleCab

Postby GLX-R Alex on Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:18 pm

FreestyleCab wrote:

Brett..

When i have the boost reading X-Gauge setup done, Is it possible to have the BST reading without the MAP at the same time. It looks as tho it requires the MAP to be read in order to display BST. In the additional paperwork with my scangauge it reads you can select it like any other X Gauge, it has no metion about the simultanius requirement to run the MAP reading.

Can i fix this so i dont have to run the MAP to get BST readings.
GLX-R Alex

Postby subi_man on Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:11 pm

Alex - You can use the buttons to select whatever you want to show in each of the four readouts, no need to have it showing MAP if you don't want to see that, there's heaps of other parameters to look at 8-)
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby GLX-R Alex on Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:57 pm

subi_man wrote:Alex - You can use the buttons to select whatever you want to show in each of the four readouts, no need to have it showing MAP if you don't want to see that, there's heaps of other parameters to look at 8-)

If i dont hav the MAP as one of the X Gauges, the BST reading vanishes....

UPDATE..
I have fixed it now with a bit of fiddling.....
GLX-R Alex

Re: Turbo Wastegate arm "ADJUSTMENT MOD" And full test results

Postby FreestyleCab on Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:10 am

Yep, you don't need the MAP gauge to display boost.

Glad you figured it out......what did you do to fix the problem?
Brett
FreestyleCab

Postby Skippy on Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:06 am

FreestyleCab wrote:

Special pricing?
Skippy
Skippy

Postby GLX-R Alex on Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:03 pm

Someone go and adjust their wastegate linkage.....

Im gona adjust snowmans on Saturday weather he likes it or not when i also fit his EGR blanking plate. 16.5 psi for snowman
GLX-R Alex

Postby jop on Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:33 pm

Got my blanking plate Alex, thanks
Mine had cut through the envelope and was hanging out, bloody rough posties
jop

Postby daryn on Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:03 pm

GLX-R Alex wrote:Someone go and adjust their wastegate linkage.....

Im gona adjust snowmans on Saturday weather he likes it or not when i also fit his EGR blanking plate. 16.5 psi for snowman

This will be interesting for Snowman and his fuel consumption, keen for feedback in a week or two :)
daryn
Valued Contributor

Next

Return to Tips & Tricks