Closing the EGR Valve *check first post for links*

Re: Closing the EGR Valve *check first post for links*

Postby noob4x4 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:09 pm

any of the 3.2 guys got photos of LR's stage 2 mod done on theirs please :D
noob4x4

Postby simonb on Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:42 am

I have done LR mods 1 and 2 on my 3.2. I will take photos and put on my shed profile tonight. Its a bit different to the 2.5. Have not had any codes since done.
GLX-R MY07
simonb

Postby noob4x4 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:31 pm

thanks mate i have mine chipped so don't get any codes just thinking about making it smoother running with the bypass
noob4x4

Re: Closing the EGR Valve

Postby tony73 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:43 am

Homer wrote:Ladies and gents, the first page has been updated with a table of contents for this super long drawn out thread so it is easier to find what you are looking for - thanks Chicky babe 8-)

This post is in the best colour in the world in honor of the best football team in the world :P

Is there any chance this can be updated, I click on the links and it does not take me to the correct areas from the link post! Im not sure why :? Maybe new posts throw it out :?:

Im simply trying to find pics for location and discussion on the MN 2.5 egr blank, doing my head in!
tony73

Postby tony73 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:34 pm

Tex wrote:FWIW the links on the 1st page are working from my pc but not Tapatalk.

Yer Im on laptop as well, and yes I do get taken to various pages in the thread but they dont correspond with the link headings!
tony73

Postby hxshagginwagon on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:15 pm

Hey Guys

My Triton ML 3.2 has 45k on the clock and Ive just recently removed my blanking plate after being in for the last 15k. Towards the last 5k of it being in it was throwing up the engine light and going into limp mode more often than not, this being the main reason why I removed it.

I called my local stealer the other day about a quote for a 45k service ($1000) and at the same time Mitsubishi mentioned that my car has a recall and needs to have the ECU re flashed.

My questions are:

Should I put the EGR blanking plate back in before the ECU gets reflashed? Would the ECU relearn with the EGR blank in and as a result not throw up codes, go into limp or under boost?

Has anyone had the latest reflash done on their ML 3.2 and were they happy with the results?

I wasn't sure were else to post this topic
ML GLX-R 3.2TD 5-Speed 2008 MY09

HXshagginwagon is my other ride!
hxshagginwagon

Postby biggibbo on Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:00 am

I was pretty sure the recall was for the MN 2.5, not the ML 3.2.
biggibbo

Postby Longranger1 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:10 am

hxshagginwagon wrote:Hey Guys

My Triton ML 3.2 has 45k on the clock and Ive just recently removed my blanking plate after being in for the last 15k. Towards the last 5k of it being in it was throwing up the engine light and going into limp mode more often than not, this being the main reason why I removed it.

I called my local stealer the other day about a quote for a 45k service ($1000) and at the same time Mitsubishi mentioned that my car has a recall and needs to have the ECU re flashed.

My questions are:

Should I put the EGR blanking plate back in before the ECU gets reflashed? Would the ECU relearn with the EGR blank in and as a result not throw up codes, go into limp or under boost?

Has anyone had the latest reflash done on their ML 3.2 and were they happy with the results?

Whether the blank is in or not makes no difference to an ecu reflash. Having the blank in when reflashed doesn't set up the operating parameters to accommodate it. It would be very nice if it did though!
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby hxshagginwagon on Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:12 pm

Longranger1 wrote:
hxshagginwagon wrote:Hey Guys

My questions are:

Whether the blank is in or not makes no difference to an ecu reflash. Having the blank in when reflashed doesn't set up the operating parameters to accommodate it. It would be very nice if it did though!

Cheers, I will have the vehicle re-flashed with the plate removed and then re-install after re-flash and see whether I still get limp mode as often

hxshagginwagon

Postby hxshagginwagon on Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:15 pm

biggibbo wrote:I was pretty sure the recall was for the MN 2.5, not the ML 3.2.

I can't vouch for the MN 2.5 but when I quoted my VIN to Mitsubishi it was them who informed me of a need to have the ECU re flashed under warranty.

Has anyone else had the ML 3.2 reflashed with the current program?

hxshagginwagon

Postby tony73 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:22 pm

Advice needed!

Just recieved my blank and am not 100% sure where to fit it! I cant for the life of me find any pics through the first page links for the MN 2.5 2012! I can see three posible locations on the right side of block! First two are the same pip just diferent ends and the forward one out of the block looks hard to get to, the opposite end look like a heat shield over it! The third spot is further back towards the fire wall and heads vertically op towards the plastic block cover!

Can someone link a pic posted of ideal location?

Also need advice on if I should fit it before or after the 1500km service! Two issues I see is if I put it in now could throw up errors limp or cels, if I wait till after, I have read there could be a re-flash done at the 1500 that eliminates the error codes! Only having owned the car for two weeks one could asume the re-flash was done on Pre-delivery but it is Darwin Mitsubishi :evil:

And Im not quite sure what I should do if/when the blank starts throwing any errors :?: Do I pull the blank out and book it in to have them cleared? Then drill a 6mm hole :x persist with the full blank???

I know all of this has been covered but its just too mush to sift through here!
tony73

Postby Racer on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:56 pm

My ML is booked in for new manifolds due to carbon issues. It has the latest ECU flash by MMAL, I will make up an EGR Blank Plate using the template posted (its on one of my many opened windows).

Question is, do I still need to drill a 6mm hole in the centre as some of you mention the MN's do not need the hole due to the latest ECU upgrade?
09 ML GLX-R 3.2
Racer

Postby odie602r on Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:13 pm

Try without it, you can always drill one later if you have troubles. You can't easily undrill a hole though ...!
the truth will set you free

My build thread:
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=11704
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Racer on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:10 pm

odie602r wrote:Try without it, you can always drill one later if you have troubles. You can't easily undrill a hole though ...!

I guess you could fill it with weld? :lol:

If the vehicle was to go into limp mode can I reset it by disconnecting the battery, turning engine on and off or does it need to return to a MMAL dealer to be plugged in?
09 ML GLX-R 3.2
Racer

Postby salt36 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:21 pm

I may be wrong but I think turn the key off and then start to clear the limp mode ?

No doubt the CEL would still be there...... Scangauge would clear the lot ;)
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby Racer on Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:26 am

Thanks Salt.
09 ML GLX-R 3.2
Racer

Postby wright1275 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:20 pm

Hi, I see alot of you fitting egr blanking plates to keep manifold clean and some drilling throttle body to stop codes . I have a 3.2 ml and have done 155 000 klms with no carbon build up at all , I have tricked the ecu into not operating egr by doing a maf sensor mod very easy to do . all you need to do is add a resister to the maf temp wiring to simulate incoming air below zero degs , then ecu will not turn on egr . I did this 120 000klm ago with no problems another way is to simulate high altitude in ecu but this would be much harder.
wright1275

Postby irwazza on Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:26 pm

wright1275 wrote:Hi, I see alot of you fitting egr blanking plates to keep manifold clean and some drilling throttle body to stop codes . I have a 3.2 ml and have done 155 000 klms with no carbon build up at all , I have tricked the ecu into not operating egr by doing a maf sensor mod very easy to do . all you need to do is add a resister to the maf temp wiring to simulate incoming air below zero degs , then ecu will not turn on egr . I did this 120 000klm ago with no problems another way is to simulate high altitude in ecu but this would be much harder.

And have you physically checked your manifolds?
irwazza

Postby Snooozy on Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:36 pm

wright1275 wrote:Hi, I see alot of you fitting egr blanking plates to keep manifold clean and some drilling throttle body to stop codes . I have a 3.2 ml and have done 155 000 klms with no carbon build up at all , I have tricked the ecu into not operating egr by doing a maf sensor mod very easy to do . all you need to do is add a resister to the maf temp wiring to simulate incoming air below zero degs , then ecu will not turn on egr . I did this 120 000klm ago with no problems another way is to simulate high altitude in ecu but this would be much harder.

Can you post more info on this
Position & resistor specs

Have you had any limpys at all?
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:22 pm

Funny this, Tony was just saying last night something like this would work.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Mattstruck on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:34 pm

interesting development. More info ;)
Mod talk:
Sometimes indecipherable to the average Civillian. Example:
Homer:
I clearly remember Joe stating categorically that he prefers it in the bottom
Joe:
I didn't say it was better in the bottom, I just said it was easier and quicker.
Mattstruck

Postby Tony on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:09 pm

Works a charm 8-) , I just haven't bothered to reveal as most wont want the diagnostic port reporting the lower temps. The down side is, you may experience some diesel knock as its screws with the pre injection. I have nothing else to add really. :roll:
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:14 pm

Tony wrote:Works a charm 8-) , I just haven't bothered to reveal as most wont want the diagnostic port reporting the lower temps. The down side is, you may experience some diesel knock as its screws with the pre injection. I have nothing else to add really. :roll:

You all surely would have noticed the scan tools report EGR fully closed till coolant temp 2 is a certain value and air temp 1 warms. :roll: :lol: Both effect the EGR.

No Pm's on this thank you. I have enough to sort out. :roll: You can all work it out for you selves anyway....as others already have ;) .
Last edited by Tony on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby wright1275 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:57 pm

Hi, yes I have removed and checked manifold as I have recently done manifold porting swirl butterflys all clean very good . I havent notice any pre injection noise as I do SQL relearn every 30 000klms ,I used a freezer to set -2 degs then put maf sensor inside for 10mins then took a reading from the first 2 terminals . I then took the first 2 wires out of maf plug and put a resistor based on the reading I got between sensor terminals job done!

this info was given to me by a swedish company who build emission ecu equipment for the triton and other Mitsubishi's they make intercoolers,ecu's and exhaust systems many are fitted at factory level . they make a great system for the 2.5 triton which includes larger front mount intercooler and replacement ecu plus all wiring and hardware which mounts to factory points. all for same money as a high end chip or piggy back . I fitted the same intercooler to mine as they dont make a ecu for the 3.2 what a difference much more efficent in cooling and less pressure drop which is odd for a larger intercooler twice as big at least. it also increased boost to 18 psi, oh sorry forgot to say companies name (STT EMTEC ) for more info contact Oskar Jacobson at stt emtec
wright1275

Postby salt36 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:12 pm

Good stuff, STT certainly know their emissions, checking it out now ;)
salt36
Valued Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks