wheels rubbing brake calipers

Need something to get you rolling?

wheels rubbing brake calipers

Postby DocBassett on Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:05 pm

So I have recently upgraded to 16x8 steel rims, I had to have them special ordered in. I asked Bridgestone when they test fitted them if they cleared the calipers and they said yes. Now about 1000km down the track I have noticed that there is some wear marks on the inside of the wheel and on the outside of the brake caliper. The right appears the main problem, yet left seems to be ok??? I'm pretty freaking devastated. If there is any clearance on the left, it'd be micrometres. Is there an easy solution to this??? I really don't want to have to sell the tyres and rims as it was so hard for me to get a hold of them in the first place. I haven't heard or felt any problems, apart from it's a lot harder to brake- but I was expecting that with the 33's on steelies. Having driven this far without any problems, is there a chance that they are fine?!?!
DocBassett

Re: wheels rubbing brake callipers

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:13 pm

Surely that can't be safe? It sounds like they might be the wrong offset if they're fouling on the calipers. How did this not make a lot of noise and cause vibrations etc?

I would have thought you could keep the tyres and go back and demand replacement rims that actually fit. Unless you bought the rims somewhere else and didn't rely on their guidance about which ones to get...
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:15 pm

what offset are you running?

I know that the prado drivers when fitting 16" rims would use a dremtrel to abrade the caliper a couple of mm.
you do this at your own risk as I have not researched this on the tritons.

I believe that doing anything to the brake system is illegal ;) that includes doing anything like the above

wheel spacers are also illegal but are available in 6mm

or the smartest but most costly sell the rims
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:33 pm

Yeah wheel spacers are scary. I heard of a recent case in Sydney where an import with wheel spacers (ricer car of course) snapped its wheel studs off and the wheel flew off and hit some poor kid standing at a bus stop.

I saw the photo you posted up on facebook. The damage looks pretty minimal. Are you sure it wasn't just that you got some mud build-up on the inside of the rim and the tolerances were so close that it gave you the scratches you now have? That might explain it being a one sided issue.

Cowboy Dave

Postby DocBassett on Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:44 pm

Yeah safety is my biggest concern..mud could be a possibility. But the scratches are quite deep..... looks like metal has created them. Wouldbt think mud could get hard enough to wear metal down. I might look into getting a file and filing them down. The rims were bought from a local tyre shop, however being so remote means that no where has anything in stock to suit the triton. Everythigs basically a "we order it in if you buy it" basis. The offset is 20+. Im so peeved off.
DocBassett

Postby DocBassett on Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:46 pm

Yeah safety is my biggest concern..mud could be a possibility. But the scratches are quite deep..... looks like metal has created them. Wouldbt think mud could get hard enough to wear metal down. I might look into getting a file and filing them down. The rims were bought from a local tyre shop, however being so remote means that no where has anything in stock to suit the triton. Everythigs basically a "we order it in if you buy it" basis. The offset is 20+. Im so peeved off.
DocBassett

Postby mattz on Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:53 pm

What brand rim and offset are they.
I know that the dynamic(I think) rims have a very minimal clearance to the brake calliper......maybe a stone got stuck there and caused the damage.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby DocBassett on Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:14 pm

There is wear in multiple places so i dont think it would be a stone. I think the brand is gecko?? They didnt tell me what they were getting and i only got a quick glimpse of rhe box they came in. From memory had a lizard on it with the word gecko.
DocBassett

Postby DocBassett on Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:15 pm

There is wear in multiple places so i dont think it would be a stone. I think the brand is gecko?? They didnt tell me what they were getting and i only got a quick glimpse of rhe box they came in. From memory had a lizard on it with the word gecko.
DocBassett

Postby ag9111 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:50 pm

If they are rubbing on the caliper and they were ordered in specifically for a triton. then take them back.

Not fit for purpose. simple

I run 16x8's +15 kings wheels and apart from stones running around and scratching things, they are fine
Last edited by ag9111 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fridgie on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:03 pm

My 16x8 ROH wheels are fine but +30 offset ;-)
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby Kegsy on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:07 pm

Yeah take them back, I wouldn't have a bar of it. They are meant to be the pro's...
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Re: wheels rubbing brake calipers

Postby DocBassett on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:43 pm

Took it back today, his first advice was to "file back the calipers" like he has done on his speedway car. I said that wasn't an option, he suggested spacers, which also wasn't an option. We came to an agreement that I will be getting a set of alloys, with a discount of $105 per wheel which is what I paid for the steelies each. So in the long run I should have just forked out the money for the alloys. He's doing some research into the alloys that will fit..... I hope to find some nice ones
DocBassett

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:07 pm

We have a whole thread on wheels and offsets etc which also lists some alloys that fit - might be worth some reading time for you.

Cowboy Dave

Postby DocBassett on Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:32 pm

Yeah cheers Dave. I have spent so much time on that search button i start to forget what im looking for. And end up following links to unrelated topics, nek minnut im searching up custom trays. But tonight I'll try find the post about alloy wheels and have a read. After all i do think i deserve a few beers after the day I've had. :D
DocBassett

Postby DocBassett on Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:33 pm

Yeah cheers Dave. I have spent so much time on that search button i start to forget what im looking for. And end up following links to unrelated topics, nek minnut im searching up custom trays. But tonight I'll try find the post about alloy wheels and have a read. After all i do think i deserve a few beers after the day I've had. :D
DocBassett

Postby DocBassett on Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:33 pm

DocBassett

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:23 pm

It's right near the top of the wheels and tyres section. Called something something bible, started by 4wd26. Can't miss it.

Cowboy Dave

Postby DocBassett on Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:27 pm

cheers Dave. pssshhh <--- that's the sound of the first beer opening! haha
DocBassett

Postby wake jake on Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:08 pm

Picked up my gecko steelies today and they hit the caliper. Has anyone purchased +20 steel rims that clear the caliper? I have considered alloys but they are my play set so steelies will do ;)
08 MY09 GLXR
Monster Rides
wake jake

Postby GLRkenny on Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:20 pm

I have +13 offset steelies and they fit fine, the steelies on my wife's triton don't fit mine but fit hers?

Anyway it's not the offset that matters, the shape of the wheel is different from brand to brand, I'll have to look what brand mine are, I can't remember ATM
GLRkenny

Postby wake jake on Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:27 pm

GLRkenny wrote:I have +13 offset steelies and they fit fine, the steelies on my wife's triton don't fit mine but fit hers?

Anyway it's not the offset that matters, the shape of the wheel is different from brand to brand, I'll have to look what brand mine are, I can't remember ATM

Yeh I know I was just taking a punt on the brand. I was hoping to go Neerim tomorrow but not now :lol:

I will go back to the tyre shop Monday and swap them for another brand. If you find out the brand thatd be great Kenny.
08 MY09 GLXR
Monster Rides
wake jake

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:27 pm

I think I had some dynamic steelies that fit mine. I don't have them any more so can't check.

Cowboy Dave

Postby 4wd26 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:18 pm

^^^ most fo the +30 rims will fit due to being made to fit around the dual calliper on a Prado/ pajero in 17" size

+ 20 starts to get interesting especially in anything wide enough to fit 285.

for instance + 15 steel and alloy 90 series prado rims fit but are only 16x7

I have a set of +20 alloys here in 17x8 that fit "advanti Trax"
Click to view larger picture

but not sure what size mud hogs wake jake just bought.......
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby wake jake on Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:24 pm

26 I was going to go alloys but cant justify the price for a playset of wheels. I have 285/75/16 tyres so the rims will have to be an 8". Hopefully someone has fitted +30 - +15 steel rims. Just need to know a brand.
08 MY09 GLXR
Monster Rides
wake jake

Next

Return to Tyres & Wheels