Sand causing wheel balance issue

Need something to get you rolling?

Sand causing wheel balance issue

Postby Brett05 on Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:48 pm

hey guys
thought I'd share this with you all...........maybe one for the memory bank
when we left Teewah Beach and hit the bitumen, we stopped to air up the tyres. Chicky was first to finish doing his and asked me which one i hadn't aired up yet...(passenger rear). Now whilst i was pressuring the other tyres, i run my finger around the outer lip of the mag to clear the sand that had built up. Anyways, we got out to the highway and hit the 110 zone and i had a vibration through the truck. So i dropped to 95-100 and the shudder had gone. The others that were traveling with me slipped on bye and i pulled into the next service station to give it the once over. Checked the wheels for sand and found that the one chicky aired for me wasn't cleaned. Now i only cleaned the sand off the rims because i had nothing to do for a few mins while the compressor did its thing. So i wiped off the sand on the passenger rear rim, and back out onto the highway i went. no shudder/vibration what so ever. Now i know a lot of you more experienced guys would have already known this, but just putting this out there for the lesser informed...like myself. So keep this in mind guys that sand, mud or similar can cause the tyre/wheel to be out of balance very easy.

cheers
Brett
If I pushed a copy of myself off a cliff, because he was swearing. Could I be charged with making an obscene clone fall ?
Link to Centre Bearing Mod viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6394
CAD & PDF files Centre Bearing Mod http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/download/file.php?id=638
Brett05

Re: Sand causing wheel ballance issue

Postby reeldreamer on Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:56 pm

Sure it wasn't your 2 piece tail shaft mate :lol: Some good info there mate and worth noting! Sounds like you guys had a cracker weekend!!! Mother nature certainly turned on its best for you.

Mitch
Bash plates and other cool gear from Prestige Offroad Accessories

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=80
reeldreamer

Postby Greedy on Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:00 pm

I've had this issue with mud before but never sand. There must've been a fair amount of it to put the balance out. I'm surprised so much stuck to the rim/tyre.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Brett05 on Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:16 pm

reeldreamer wrote:Sure it wasn't your 2 piece tail shaft mate :lol: Some good info there mate and worth noting! Sounds like you guys had a cracker weekend!!! Mother nature certainly turned on its best for you.

Mitch

no she's all good there mitch, still really happy with those results

its funny you say that, greedy.
quite a few times i walked past my truck over the weekend and notice the amount of sand build-up in and around the rim compared to others. Every time i noticed it, i kept saying to myself i should grab the camera and take a photo of it...but i didn't
If I pushed a copy of myself off a cliff, because he was swearing. Could I be charged with making an obscene clone fall ?
CAD & PDF files Centre Bearing Mod http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/download/file.php?id=638
Brett05

Postby fridgie on Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:23 pm

wouldn't have anything to do with the paint job done on the rims? just thinking, and that is about the only difference I can come up with :? , although, I too cleared the sand off while airing up just cause I hate dirty rims :twisted:

I think quinny mentioned something about this after the first trip up that way, but then, he had sand everywhere after that trip ;)
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby jop on Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:27 pm

Just hit those speed bumps on the way to the ferry a bit harder next time Brett ;)
jop

Postby Brett05 on Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:33 pm

fridgie wrote:wouldn't have anything to do with the paint job done on the rims? just thinking, and that is about the only difference I can come up with :? , although, I too cleared the sand off while airing up just cause I hate dirty rims :twisted:

I think quinny mentioned something about this after the first trip up that way, but then, he had sand everywhere after that trip ;)

not long after you passed me on the highway is when i pulled in and checked it out. Since cleaning the truck and going for a run up the highway today into the 110 zone, it's still not there.....and wasn't there after I'd cleaned the sand out yesterday on the highway. Could have something to do with the tyre shine sticking to the rim and collecting the sand.......who know......it's gone

Quinney, you have anything to say on this ???
Brett05

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:43 pm

blame it on the apprentice thata be right :lol: :lol:
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Homer at janowen Hills (3mins later)
Recovered
by fridgie 4wd Training Day... "shakes head" i woulda made it
chick_magnet_0001

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:44 pm

Had the same thing happen after a day in the mud, yesterday. Vibration all the way back, then into the car wash to clean most of the mud off before it set to concrete and, Hey Presto! Vibration gone. Doesn't take much.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Naff on Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:18 pm

I had that too Brett, I saw all the sand in my wheels when we were airing up... I just did what Jop suggested :lol: hit those bumps a bit harder and it all fell out. I felt the wobble driving on the hard sand on the way out.

I had the same thing happen in my X-Trail.. one whole wheel had clogged up with wet sand and it felt like the wheel was going to fall off.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Joe on Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:46 pm

Same thing happened to me after a trip to Bribie :roll:
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Return to Tyres & Wheels