Removing Bump Stops

Removing Bump Stops

Postby Graham12GLX on Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:33 pm

Hi guys

I read on another thread that someone had installed TJM suspension and advised to leave the bump stops on the top arms in. Due to living a distance away from Ultimate I went with TJM also and let them install it...they have removed the bump stops from the upper arms altogether. I have already had contact from hitting speed bumps at 10km/hr. I am quite worried about this.

Can anyone shed light on whether this is common practice with 2" lifts?
I used to have a life before I discovered newtriton.net :lol:
Graham12GLX

Re: Removing Bump Stops

Postby Bigbirdalx on Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:30 am

I had to trim mine by about 5mm to fit it in my lift . Once thr weight of the car is on the suspension tho its not touching. But they should be left in
If im posting, im either on the toilet, at work or both
Bigbirdalx

Postby ultimate on Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:31 am

It's not a common practice to leave them out.

We always remove the bumpstops when installing the kits, but refit them at the end. They may have forgotten about them or plan on refitting them once the suspension has settled. Depending on the set up, they can be difficult to re-fit before the suspension has settled.
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby Graham12GLX on Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:15 am

Okay thanks for the advice Brandan, greatly appreciated. I'll follow this up with them. I always thought it was illegal to remove bump stops permanently (and shave them) .
Graham12GLX

Postby Graham12GLX on Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:04 pm

An Update... So apparently TJM always remove the upper bump stop to allow for extra lift..."we've done a lot of tritons and never had anyone come back with anything broken". :shock: After further discussion, a decision was made to remove the spacer to drop it down a bit and slightly soften the HD raised springs. With the bar, winch and future sidebars/sliders, it should lower to a less dramatic height. At present my front is riding at about 600mm. I'll be aiming for a ride height of about 570mm after the suspension has settled.
Graham12GLX

Postby Bigbirdalx on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:48 pm

Graham12GLX wrote:An Update... So apparently TJM always remove the upper bump stop to allow for extra lift..."we've done a lot of tritons and never had anyone come back with anything broken". :shock: After further discussion, a decision was made to remove the spacer to drop it down a bit and slightly soften the HD raised springs. With the bar, winch and future sidebars/sliders, it should lower to a less dramatic height. At present my front is riding at about 600mm. I'll be aiming for a ride height of about 570mm after the suspension has settled.

I hope u got the stops back from them?
If im posting, im either on the toilet, at work or both
Bigbirdalx

Postby Graham12GLX on Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:28 pm

I hope they still have them otherwise they best be ordering some new ones. :x
Graham12GLX

Postby George Kyro on Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:47 pm

Graham if you don't mind me asking which state are you from ?

TJM fitted my suspension for me on both my tritons and they didn't remove or shave the bump stops.
BROKE BACK MUD BUM CHUM RUNNERS CLUB
George Kyro

Postby Graham12GLX on Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:28 pm

Hi George
I had this done in a QLD store. I won't name and shame just yet as they have been good with previous work. PM if you want to know the exact store.

Can I ask if they installed a spacer with your front struts? I had the XGS Gold struts and XGS H/D coils installed (and they added a spacer as well). I'm running a Steele bull bar with synthetic rope winch. According to the TJM brochure there is no need for a spacer as the struts have a multi-adjustable spring seat.

I'm guessing my store went for as much lift as possible with little concern for the consequences.
Graham12GLX

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:49 pm

George had them put in the monster rides setup from memory. They have a spacer on their struts but it's all adjustable up and down.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Return to Suspension