IRONMAN SUSPENSION take a look at this!

Postby flappers on Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:15 pm

Put an ironman 2 inch lift kit in my car a few months ago
it looked great when i picked it up
it sat well at the back and the front was a little bit lower but ok
after 3 months the front became lower than the standard suspension
almost 6 coils had become fully compressed creating 80mm difference between the back and front ride height
BU**SH*T i know
below are some photos the show the coils
Click to view larger picture

These are the coils that failed IRONMAN CODE: MITS040B - Performance Load Coils
Click to view larger picture

These are the new ones IRONMAN CODE: MITS040C - Constant load Coils
The people how did it changed them over free of charge and also put in 20mm strut tower spacers which is the silver ring below the coil housing
flappers

Re: IRONMAN SUSPENSION take a look at this shyt

Postby salt36 on Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:16 pm

:shock: So they should replace them.

How does the front sit now ?
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby Steane on Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:55 pm

Hi Flappers, looking at your rig, you've got a front bar and winch fitted, but chose the performance load springs.

Didn't you need the constant load springs from the start? You can't add much more weight to the front of the car than what the bar and winch do, so it makes sense that the 'constant' load springs would have been the ones you wanted from the get go.

Is this a product quality issue, or a poor choice issue?
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Greedy on Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:38 am

Steane wrote:Hi Flappers, looking at your rig, you've got a front bar and winch fitted, but chose the performance load springs.

Didn't you need the constant load springs from the start? You can't add much more weight to the front of the car than what the bar and winch do, so it makes sense that the 'constant' load springs would have been the ones you wanted from the get go.

I think you're on the money Steane. Definitely need constant load with those items.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Re: IRONMAN SUSPENSION take a look at this!

Postby Notso on Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:42 am

I would have thought that this was the type of advice that the dealer should have been handing out, I guess we aren't all as knowledgeable as some about things like this.
Notso

Postby Greedy on Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:45 am

Good point Notso. Martin from Dobinsons wouldn't sell me anything until I'd agreed on constant front springs. Obviously, didn't want to hear from me again. :lol:

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Steane on Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:07 pm

Depends on what info the dealer is given I guess. I'm sure there are plenty of folks who pick the product with no real advice, or choose lighter springs with a more comfortable ride, then add equipment to their car later...

We need flappers to let us know what happened in this situation.

I just don't like seeing brands slammed when it's not the product that is the issue it's the suitability of the product for your particular purpose/situation.

It can give others who are using the forum to research products a bit of bum-steer.
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bboughton on Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:04 pm

Wow I was thinking of overhauling my suspension with an Iron Man kit. I have an Iron Man commercial bull bar, and only single battery, surely the performance springs would be enough for me? Is it a case of you get what you pay for? Is it worth going for something more expensive?
bboughton

Postby Greedy on Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:08 pm

If you have a bar on the front, I would go constant load. 50kg that far in front provides a lot of leverage on your suspension. Whether you go ironman or not is your choice. There are other brands to consider.

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bboughton on Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:32 pm

Thanks, plenty of time to research.. I'll probably get something done in Brisbane when I get new tires so a fair few ks yet.. This forum is great place for information but it can get overwhelming.
bboughton

Postby new44 on Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:22 pm

Hope I am not hijacking, But some recent research on suspension

I would go Ultimate if it was made easy for me ( No dealers around Home)

All best quality springs and shocks supply and fit

Pedders $1750 Lifted 40 or 50 mm ( similar to Ultimate)

ARB $2000 10 or 20 Lift ( always overpriced)

I do like the pedders for that price but am slightly worried about tailshaft wobble with a near 2` lift. ( the ute only has one tail shaft)
Cheers
new44

Postby daryn on Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:30 pm

New, if you have a one piece you should not get tail shaft vibration it is only a problem for those with a two piece.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby salt36 on Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:07 pm

I do like the pedders for that price but am slightly worried about tailshaft wobble with a near 2` lift. ( the ute only has one tail shaft)

New I just had fitted Ultimate 2" lift with one piece tailshaft and NO vibration issues whatsoever :D :D :D
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby Try-it-on on Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:58 pm

My Ironman Dealer looked at the quote that was emailed to me, and said he would not supply the ones quoted, as "You'll be back in here complaining about the ride if I do" and downgraded the product to the 300kg constant load ones, because they would give me a much better end result. I have no idea which ones were quoted on the original quote, other than that the constant load ones were going to be a little cheaper than the original price, but at least he knows his products, and ensures that the end result is the best for my useage and need. Makes me feel at least a little more confident.
I love Terra Firma - the less firmer the more terror.
Try-it-on

Postby mjwilmo on Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:59 pm

Try-it-on wrote:My Ironman Dealer looked at the quote that was emailed to me, and said he would not supply the ones quoted, as "You'll be back in here complaining about the ride if I do" and downgraded the product to the 300kg constant load ones, because they would give me a much better end result. I have no idea which ones were quoted on the original quote, other than that the constant load ones were going to be a little cheaper than the original price, but at least he knows his products, and ensures that the end result is the best for my useage and need. Makes me feel at least a little more confident.

Hey TIO,

Could you PM me your 'Ironman Dealer' info? (assuming you're happy with them).

Tks.
mjwilmo

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:42 pm

I wonder if Ironman themselves know what they're selling. Looking at their brochure for ML and on....
http://www.ironman4x4.com/html/mitsubishi/35.html
...they list only two coil options (performance and constant load), but 3 kits (comfort, performance and constant load)

I may yet be proven wrong on this but you need to consider where Ironman position themselves in the market. Much of their range is significantly cheaper to the premium brands like ARB and TJM. Comparing bullbars and rear protection bars (because I have Ironman in both) I've found that the quality difference IS noticable but I'm prepared to accept it for the savings which were offered. The tests done by 4WD Action seemed to bear this out - the Ironman bar performed no worse than some of the others while the premium names did offer an advantage but one that, in my opinion, didn't quite justify the price difference.

When it comes to suspension I'm wondering if Ironman maybe take the same approach as with most of their other products. Good enough, but not really top notch. Is this not the same approach that Mitsubishi take with suspension? Make it good enough to satisfy most people not using the vehicle in extreme conditions and keep the price down. If this is the case then replacing the stock suspension with yet another made to a budget item might not be the right choice. Depends what your expectations are, I guess

I seriously considered a whole pile of options, including Ironman, for my suspension upgrade. In the end it was my doubts about quality (don't get me wrong, I'm not saying their quality is doubtful, just not the same as the premium brands) that swung me to Ultimate, given that there wasn't actually a huge difference in the bottom line price. When I'm driving the Canning Stock Route some day in the future I think I'll feel more confident that my choice will get me through.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby bboughton on Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:54 pm

Chris, very good point. Price isnt really huge difference. I'd probably swing to Ultimate if I was in Sydney. Be good if there was a bunch with such good rep and price in Toowoomba/Brisbane way.
bboughton

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:07 pm

There is. Ultimate.

Ring Brendan and ask him.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby bobtriton on Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:13 am

My little experience with sring coils has been with Austalian OME, bougth for a Jeep Liberty seven years ago, I got the strongest set and they are still working very well, I never full load this truck and now it seems a bit soft but is great yet, those are matched with a set of Koni shocks, is the best I found in the USA market.

Soon (one year or two maximum) I will need new coil springs and leaf springs for the Triton, this truck has been seeing some heavy loads, and rear suspension is less than optimum now, I bougth a set of koni shocks that has helped a lot, so I will be looking for coils and leaf springs in the range of +1.5 inches, I don´t think the koni shocks can handle any more lift. And since Triton is not sell in USA, I´ll be looking for this in Australia. Still have time to search.
Ultimate looks very now!
bobtriton

Postby slimv6 on Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:23 am

Little bit of non-topic...

Ralliart in Japan referred me to Pedders all the way there in Aus. Seems they are the preferred supplier from the factory level... The ralliart ones are just daym dear!

I currently got IM all round 50mm lift, turned the propshaft bearing over when It was fitted. NO issues with vibration.

@ bob, why not look at air helpers on the rear? Dunlop got some good stuff here in africa.
I'm not as thunk as you drink I am. ;)
slimv6

Postby slimv6 on Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:26 am

O, I almost forgot...

The bush on the bottom of one of my front shocks shat brix so pressed a new one in yesterday. parts free under warranty. Done about 8000km with them, makes the stock setup look like faecal matter...

(interestingly enough, they are now assembling here, no more thai imports. AND the suspension is different...)
I'm not as thunk as you drink I am. ;)
slimv6

Postby flappers on Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:53 pm

the car sits fantastic
salt36 wrote::shock: So they should replace them.

How does the front sit now ?
flappers

Postby flappers on Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:08 pm

ok when i went to ironman i said i wanted the car to sit as high as posible without dropping diffs or putting the drive shafts on a big angle the dealer told me no worries you'll get the top range product we have.
i cant realy say how much i paid cause i spent 8000 dollars that day (see my car profile for what is on it and in it)
when i went back to them because of the front sitting lower they said the front coils are faulty.
after they changed them i had came home to check to see what serial numbers was on the box of gear i baught
and found that the assholes had put performence coils not constant load ones
i rang the and gave them a sevring and they denined it all say they were constant load coils
despite the box that i got at home which has the serial number for the performance coils on it.
never going back againg
Steane wrote:Hi Flappers, looking at your rig, you've got a front bar and winch fitted, but chose the performance load springs.

flappers

Postby reeldreamer on Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:19 pm

I just had the ARB bar installed and the front is down considerably. I have no winch and the performance springs! I thnk i will be going to see ironman when they open up! According to their website those springs should be good for another 20% weight or medium load!

Mitch
Bash plates and other cool gear from Prestige Offroad Accessories

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=80
reeldreamer

Postby Diddy on Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:39 pm

i have ironman constant load front and back with bilstein struts and shocks and have had them in for 12000k's and never had an issue yet but i will be changing my front springs for dobinsons only because they are taller spring and i need to get up a bit higher
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Next

Return to Suspension