Random Suspension Questions

Re: Random Suspension Questions

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:15 pm

If you're changing leafs you'd usually change the shocks as well. There are some cheaper options around like helper leafs but I've heard mixed reviews.

For the hitch height sometimes you can invert the tongue for a minor adjustment. I have an adjustable hitch for mine as the starting height was too high for my horse float.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Stylemaster on Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:24 pm

Thanks Dave, I will start with the tongue
Stylemaster

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:28 pm

Worth calling or PMing ultimate to find out more. They're very helpful and knowledgeable.

Cowboy Dave

Postby mIwoo on Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:38 pm

Are the factory bushes in the factory leaves able to be changed out or are the factory leaves and bushes a sealed unit? looks sealed to me.... However I haven't yet pulled them out
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby screechy1 on Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:42 pm

Anyone put a 2 inch body lift in an auto just wanna no if it can be done cant find a thing bout it anywhere!!
screechy1

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:32 am

mIwoo wrote:Are the factory bushes in the factory leaves able to be changed out or are the factory leaves and bushes a sealed unit? looks sealed to me.... However I haven't yet pulled them out

If you have a big enough press you may be able to get them out but, for most, they need to be replaced. When I enquired Mitsubishi did not list them as a separate part.

screechy1 wrote:Anyone put a 2 inch body lift in an auto just wanna no if it can be done cant find a thing bout it anywhere!!

Depending on where you live, it can be done legally but wasn't available as an option until relatively recently, which is why there is not a lot of information about it. Most don't bother unless you need to run much bigger tyres which bring their own problems with gearing. The Triton is very capable with just a 2" suspension lift and will take 33" tyres with this.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby screechy1 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:57 am

NowForThe5th wrote:
mIwoo wrote:Are the factory bushes in the factory leaves able to be changed out or are the factory leaves and bushes a sealed unit? looks sealed to me.... However I haven't yet pulled them out

If you have a big enough press you may be able to get them out but, for most, they need to be replaced. When I enquired Mitsubishi did not list them as a separate part.

screechy1 wrote:Anyone put a 2 inch body lift in an auto just wanna no if it can be done cant find a thing bout it anywhere!!

Depending on where you live, it can be done legally but wasn't available as an option until relatively recently, which is why there is not a lot of information about it. Most don't bother unless you need to run much bigger tyres which bring their own problems with gearing. The Triton is very capable with just a 2" suspension lift and will take 33" tyres with this.
No worries mate dsnt bother me about legal haha and I hav 2 inch lift and 33s now just want the big of extra height for looks mainly lol
screechy1

Postby simonk350 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:44 am

Hey all, I have just done 5k in the new MN Triton, and already have a squeak/rattle from the standard suspension whenever the fuel tank is less than half tank, even though I have spent very little time actually off the black top. Is this standard, or should I be hitting up Mitsubishi to fix/explain?
Cheers
simonk350

Postby mrtuaniiex on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:29 am

simonk350 wrote:Hey all, I have just done 5k in the new MN Triton, and already have a squeak/rattle from the standard suspension whenever the fuel tank is less than half tank, even though I have spent very little time actually off the black top. Is this standard, or should I be hitting up Mitsubishi to fix/explain?
Cheers

Don't know about the rattle and why the fuel tank level has to do about it but my rear end squeaks shortly after picking up it new. Pretty sure its a normal thing for the rear end squeak. Nothing a bit of music cant fix :lol:
mrtuaniiex

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:29 am

Squeak maybe, rattle no. Standard I mean. Also odd that it would come and go.

Cowboy Dave

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:47 am

simonk350 wrote:Hey all, I have just done 5k in the new MN Triton, and already have a squeak/rattle from the standard suspension whenever the fuel tank is less than half tank, even though I have spent very little time actually off the black top. Is this standard, or should I be hitting up Mitsubishi to fix/explain?
Cheers

Well known problem. Have a look here for more information. A decent club hammer is probably your best solution but certainly take it back to your dealer.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby simonk350 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:50 am

NowForThe5th wrote:
Cheers

Well known problem. Have a look here for more information. A decent club hammer is probably your best solution but certainly take it back to your dealer.

Thanks for the info, I guess it is back to the dealer for them to sort.
In terms of the intermittent nature of the squeak/rattle, it seems to only occur when the vehicle weight is low, if I am loaded up, the noise stops. But it is frustratingly annoying when it is there, especially when the back window is down.
simonk350

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:44 pm

The rattle bothers me.

If it was just the squeak then there are a couple of standard fixes. The dealers have a silencer fix they can do that sticks a synthetic material between the U-shaped bit and the leaves so that they don't make noise when they rub. But I thought that would be a factory item by now. Not sure on that.

Then the issue usually arises because one or more leaves are misaligned and rubbing more than they should. The solution for this involves hammering on the side of the leaf pack to get it back to straight. The other fix is to coat the springs in a lubricant of some kind where they are rubbing. Some have used lanotec. I've used chain oil, spray grease and some other spray that promised extra stickiness. All of those seemed to work.

Just be aware if driving dirt roads that any lubricant is likely to pick up dirt/dust and you may then be creating a nice abrasive compound and will possibly get your noise back.

But the rattle sounds like something loose. So worth chasing down - there have been cases of u-bolts coming loose.

Cowboy Dave

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:29 pm

Yes, mine used to do a similar thing. Noisier when empty than loaded. I figured that the weight deformed the leaf pack enough that it stopped the squeak.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Rowdyson on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:19 pm

Hey guys just thought I'd but in.
I had a squeak in the rear shortly after purchase. Took it back to dealer to find it a common fault with the material that some bush type component was made of. They replaced both sides with a new material. Can't remember what the component was called.
All work and no play makes Rowdy something something.
Rowdyson

Postby mrtuaniiex on Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:18 pm

the old man emu bp 51 looks 8-) 8-)

what are peoples thought?
mrtuaniiex

Postby mIwoo on Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:58 pm

bp 51?
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:00 am

Looks 8-) . Should be available for the Triton by 2021.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby borngeek on Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:21 am

They certainly look the part. 8-) 8-)

//some awesome footage in the promo vid. :)
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby TritonNick on Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:23 am

Has anyone got the Sax Suspension on their Triton?
TritonNick

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:08 am

TritonNick wrote:Has anyone got the Sax Suspension on their Triton?

Have you searched?
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby TritonNick on Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:11 am

NowForThe5th wrote:
TritonNick wrote:Has anyone got the Sax Suspension on their Triton?

Have you searched?

I searched for sax suspension, yes. Nothing came up hence I asked in the random suspension questions.
TritonNick

Postby TritonNick on Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:30 am

I might also add that I'm terrible at search. I typed +sax suspension into forum search and it came up nothing found. Obviously I need to learn exactly where to search.
TritonNick

Postby Homer on Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:54 am

Yes mate, it's not your fault. Search is shite if you are looking for a 3 letter word :roll:
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension