Random Suspension Questions

Re: Random Suspension Questions

Postby belvo on Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:57 pm

hey guys ive got medium duty efs leaf springs in the back of my ute. and i dont have any weight in back anymore is there anyway i can soften up the ride by tacking a heavy duty spring out completely or replacing it with one of the factory leaf spring thanks belvo
belvo

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:05 pm

Go back a page....

ultimate wrote: Post up a photo of your springs and I will point out which leaf to remove.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby belvo on Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:43 am

cheers mate hopfuly these pics are alright.

Click to view larger picture

Click to view larger picture
belvo

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:04 am

:shock: No wonder the ride is harsh.

Brendan will be along in due course and give you the right advice. ;)
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby triton_guru on Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:16 am

Lol they look like the same as my heavy duty haha I had to take out the first bent one from the bottom so third up, might be different in your case though. For now just avoid the pot holes lol
triton_guru

Postby Zac14triton on Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:55 am

Cheers for the advice guys, most of my mates go yalwal etc and were telling me i should get 3 lift also for cape york trip aswell but will probably just go a 2 :) how muchrougly is it for a 2 lift from ultimate?
Zac14triton

Postby Zac14triton on Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:12 am

Will deffinatly be going to get my lift done there as there not far away from myself. I've heard that they were the best though. Suspensions the last thing on my list at the moment
Zac14triton

Postby L200Shogun on Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:40 am

I spy DMS Nice!
belvo wrote:Click to view larger picture
L200Shogun

Postby hvac guy on Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:45 am

I have efs 350 kg rear springs with my dms gear. Goes well if u have weight in the tub and tow
Go the same if not just get the 15okg at 2"
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby belvo on Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:05 am

hvac guy wrote:I have efs 350 kg rear springs with my dms gear. Goes well if u have weight in the tub and tow
Go the same if not just get the 15okg at 2"

they go alright but because i don't carry any weight in the back anymore its way to rough. ill just wait till Brendan gives me some advice. i want to set the leafs up like doc bassett did in his ute. viewtopic.php?f=51&t=14476&start=150
belvo

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:59 am

That will cause all sorts of other issues. Your problem, as I see it from my own experience with leaves that looked similar (and I don't really want to pre-empt Brendan's response) is that they've collapsed to the point where they're sitting on the helpers so there is no, or little, movement in the more progressive parts of the spring, giving you a very harsh ride.

In my case, even though I usually ran empty, Ultimate supplied comfort springs that were still rated at +300kg. The normal reaction, well mine anyway, would be to say "No I don't want heavier springs, I want lighter" but that's the difference between a suspension expert like Brendan and a mug like me. The heavier rated springs made a huge difference, making the ride much more comfortable when unladen and limousine like when laden, without introducing roll which lighter springs or the kind of mod you're considering, would do.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby belvo on Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:55 pm

the leafs aren't even a year old i might see what efs will do about replacing them if you recon there shagged.
belvo

Postby triton_guru on Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:35 pm

They don't look shagged at all mate the last 2 are flat and are separate from the others at the end, you just need to drop a leaf, I took the first curved one from the bottom and it has been fantastic ever since.
triton_guru

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:48 pm

belvo wrote:the leafs aren't even a year old i might see what efs will do about replacing them if you recon there shagged.

Don't take my opinion as gospel mate, my game is car paint, not suspension. Nor anyone else's, regardless of what kind of guru they may profess to be. Wait for Brendan to respond.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby har05l on Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:32 am

Brendan is on holidays so it may take a few days before you get an answer ;)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ultimate on Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:10 am

har05l wrote:Brendan is on holidays so it may take a few days before you get an answer ;)

Yeah sorry guys. I was away over the Christmas break and left my work phone and computer behind. I have to admit, it was a pretty good Holiday ;)

Belvo the spring design you have makes it a bit hard to improve the comfort. It has a very flat middle section as opposed to a continual curve. This means if you remove a leaf from the first stage, it may actually be firmer as you will be in contact with the second stage a lot earlier. Removing a load leaf will drop the trim height and reduce the strength and load carrying capacity of the spring. Most manufacturers will not recommend or allow the removal of second stage leaves as it is illegal to run a spring with a lower rating than OEM (Without an engineers certificate to reduce the GVM).

You can try replacing the second stage with the ones from your factory springs (Just make sure you re-use your castor wedge), but I believe your best bet would be new custom springs.
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

ML Lift Kits

Postby cooneyrazorx on Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:27 pm

Hi Guys

Just picked up my first triton so I`m new to the forum. It was a 3 hour drive home from where I bought it, must say I`m very pleased with the purchase.. its a 2009 GLXR 3.2L. I`m looking to do some work to it as it stock standard. Just wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of decent place that does lift kits and possibly body lifts in Sydney... Also has anyone done and exhaust and chip to a 3.2l how do you rate it? cheers
cooneyrazorx

Postby scumbag on Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:17 am

Just installed an ironman lift kit in my mn triton rear sits much higher then the rest.... any reason why looks pretty silly and feels like your driving downhill all the time.
scumbag

Postby snowman on Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:00 am

scumbag wrote:Just installed an ironman lift kit in my mn triton rear sits much higher then the rest.... any reason why looks pretty silly and feels like your driving downhill all the time.

mate that's a pretty open ended question. assuming it is installed correctly the only obvious answer can be the weight in your rig is too light for the springs you purchased.

i know we bang on about Ultimate (but product aside) the advantage is they weigh each corner and with their experience can tell you what springs to buy based on what you do with it.

if these ironman springs are too high they may also be too strong and give you a harsh ride.

it is hard to give you any really detailed advice without having full knowledge of your arrangement.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fridgie on Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:00 am

Front is supposed to be down a little, around 50mm. If your measurements are much greater than that then I'd be looking at what front lift they gave you.
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:15 pm

scumbag wrote:Just installed an ironman lift kit in my mn triton rear sits much higher then the rest.... any reason why looks pretty silly and feels like your driving downhill all the time.

It might be a good idea to post up measurements for the ride height. The usual method is centre of the wheel to the bottom of the wheel arch/flare. Then we can compare apples to apples and someone will be able to pick for you whether it is the front too low or the rear too high, or none of the above.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby scumbag on Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:53 pm

yeah did that 550mm from the middle of the wheel to the top of the guard, didnt chance when i changed the struts over
was 550 to start with and is 550 now.
285/70/17's only just rub though...

considering iv allready fitted it, is it now on the place who provided me with the wrong gear to sort it out?
or am i going to have to pull it all apart remove what the incorrect parts are, take them back get new ones hopefully without a 2week wait again, and refit them?
massive inconvenience really? surely they should look after me to some extent
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language
scumbag

Postby L200Shogun on Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:26 pm

You can fit spring spacers on Ironman struts.

http://www.ironman4x4.com/wp-content/up ... ctions.pdf
L200Shogun

Postby scumbag on Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:30 am

went and saw the place today, they are going to speak to ironman and see what can be done regarding spacers on the underside of the strut.
scumbag

Postby Headley on Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:44 am

Do Ultimate do a 2" lift for the MN?
Headley

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension