Throttle Body Petrol

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Throttle Body Petrol

Postby giancarlo93 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:09 am

Hello
Do you know any company that makes high performance parts for my V6 3.5 6G74 engine?

I am looking for a throttle body spacer or a bigger throttle body.

Thanks
Mitsubishi Triton L200
V6
315/70/R17
Ironman suspension
ARB bull bar
Safari snorkel

if it ain't broke, don't fix it
giancarlo93

Re: Throttle Body Petrol

Postby borngeek on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:30 am

Giancarlo, there is a v6 performance thread HERE

To get you started, RPW (Australian company) are doing throttle body upgrades and more for the petrol. You may want to sit down before reading prices.. :lol:

Here is a link. ;)
RPW
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby salt36 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:38 am

When I get home tonite I will reply properly, lots of options !
salt36
Valued Contributor

Throttle Body Petrol

Postby giancarlo93 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:11 am

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mitsubishi Triton L200
V6
315/70/R17
Ironman suspension
ARB bull bar
Safari snorkel

giancarlo93

Postby salt36 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:01 pm

Carlo, OK firstly is the problem of you having (I assume) a throttle cable.

Most if not all throttle bodies produced pre 2009 were made for the cable set-up.

They are all the same size or smaller than what you already have.

The later (2009+) throttle bodies are made for the electronic (drive-by-wire) throttle body.

The difference is that newer 3.5L 6G74 engines have a slightly larger throttle body and butterfly.
What you really want to hear is that the 6G75 3.8L engines have the electronic throttle body but the butterfly is 98mm instead of our 94mm.

The 6G75 throttle butterfly can be put into the 6G74 throttle body but the body must be machined properly to maintain the correct clearance between butterfly and body. It is not cheap to have this done and may well require a race engine builder or someone similar who has experience to get it right.
If you know someone or are confident on doing this then it will be the cheapest option of all.........

Good throttle response gains can be made by increasing the butterfly size but no real gain in power.

To make more power with the 3.5 6G74 I would recommend replacing the inlet manifold as well. This can gain maybe around 15KW or 20HP.

Which brings me to the next point.

Given you are closer to the US than anywhere else, US would be the obvious choice for parts etc.
The 6G74 and the 6G75 are all the same for all world markets.The block castings may change slightly for the different applications eg the Triton has different bolt hole positions than the AU Magna, which is an East/west positioned engine for front wheel drive......Having said that, anything that bolts to the blocks and heads is interchangeable between all models it seems, some differences have been noted with injector rails between 6G74 and 6G75 though....

Check out this thread from a US forum...... Be warned if you join, read all the warning posts as the forum is moderated VERY strictly.... It is a plethora of info for the Mitsubishi V6......

http://www.club3g.com/forum/3g-eclipse- ... hread.html

As suggested the US models with the 6G74 and 6G75 engines are .....
Diamante
Eclipse
Galant

I have my reservations about the the three piece manifolds with the high speed butterflies (GTS Eclipse)
The US guys love them but need to be wired correctly and tuned for the best gains. They are simply a manifold which has an extra set of runners (high flow) for high rpm and high performance, from 400 HP plus......

The Galant has a 6G75 engine from around 2008 onward (first as an option, later as standard) and would be the obvious choice for me....If not the parts then the complete engine......

Hope to have provided some insight mate :D
Nothing is easy with these V6's as Mitsubishi have them close to their potential power output from the factory.....

For real power gains, swapping camshafts for the Ralliart version provides significant gains, 30 KW plus....
Oh the 6G75 stock cams are the 6G74 Ralliart equivalent ;) Be careful though as the later models use a roller cam which is not compatible with our heads..... Replacing heads is not an option as the 6G75 heads have a massive combustion chamber reducing the compression ratio on a 6G74 to around 8:1 :( Not good.

Unless you replace the crankshaft with the 6G75 one which will bolt straight in :D ;) But pistons need to be sourced, the best place to start is GM(chev) V6 Supercharged pistons or indeed AU Holden V6 Supercharged pistons Then you are gaining around 70KW plus........ 8-)
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby giancarlo93 on Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:04 am

Thank you Salt for taking time and writing that great review.
Mitsubishi Triton L200
V6
315/70/R17
Ironman suspension
ARB bull bar
Safari snorkel

giancarlo93

Return to Fuel Systems