Leak from Fuel Rail or Return line

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Leak from Fuel Rail or Return line

Postby furious on Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:44 pm

Hi,

I have a 2012 Triton with the HP 2.5l diesel motor. I have a fuel leak from the fuel rail or return line where it connects to the fuel rail. I don't have any performance mods.

has anyone had anything similar and can shed some light on the most likely cause and fix.

Thanks
furious
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Leak from Fuel Rail or Return line

Postby borngeek on Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:35 pm

At the pump end you mean? So high pressure supply to rail? If so yes I've seen it
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby furious on Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:07 pm

no, where the rail connects to the return line. but it could be anywhere along the fuel line from the start of the rail to the end. The leak does appear to be nearer the end that connects to the return line.
furious
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:46 pm

First you need to identify exactly where the leak is coming from. Clean the area then run engine,watching for where the fuel is leaking. If it's spurting that will be obvious, if just seeping then a little more difficult.

A split line will be obvious - it will be spraying everywhere and replacement is the only option.

If, as is more likely, it's a joint, then fixing it may be simpler. What are the causes? Under tightening, over tightening, incorrect seating, dirt between mating surfaces, mechanical damage. I'd probably start by re-torqing the connection but bear in mind that the torque settings are critical and the procedure, outlined in the onlne manual needs to be followed carefully.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby explorer.dave on Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:05 pm

I had a fuel leak about 9 months ago, couldn't find the source as it was weeping, ended up being the fuel pump, which was replaced under warranty, about 2K's worth if I recall correctly.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby furious on Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:55 pm

I gave it a good clean today, hopefully, it is clearer where the leak is coming from.
furious
Platinum Subscriber

Postby TassieML on Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:21 am

You will know if it's a split I had a split in the return line in my 06 3.2 about 100km from home. Ended up loosing about 20leters of fuel in 5 minutes. Has to just go and buy a new one. I've also been told buy some close people who work at mitsubishi they are only good for being righted about 5 or 6 times after that they won't seal properly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TassieML

Postby furious on Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:27 pm

ok, thanks, mate, I still haven't been able to locate the exact point it is leaking from yet.
furious
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Jrosey on Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:33 pm

Just be aware that any were between pump and injectors there is extremely high pressure. Do not go feeling for a leak while pump is in operation. There can be tragic consequences if you receive a high pressure fluid injection into the skin. There are no gloves readily available that will protect from these pressures. I work in heavy industry within the safety department and we have tested a wide range of materials over time that may be used to protect the employees. The best we have found is an extremely fine stainless mesh which will disapate the pressure stream and help protect.This is then vulcanised into a rubber sheet and wrapped or hung around hydraulic systems.
Jrosey
Platinum Subscriber

Postby furious on Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:53 pm

Thanks for the tip, but I can just barely get my hand down to the return line since so much stuff is in the way.

The reason I believe it is the return line is due to that being the only part that feels greasy.

I'll keep searching
furious
Platinum Subscriber

Postby furious on Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:48 pm

I've done a lot of soul-searching and investigation and the best I can make out is the leak is coming from the pressure sensor on the common rail, this is located towards the firewall. pics attached for reference.

Has anyone replace this pressure sensor or know if it actually is replaceable.

this link indicates it is. https://www.sparesbox.com.au/fuel-rail-pressure-sensor-afi-drps2005-drps2005

I think it may be a rubber seal that seals this sensor. is it possible to just replace the rubber o ring seal only?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
furious
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:48 pm

No rubber seal will hold those pressures. It's a lot cheaper than a new common rail (which comes with the sensor) so worth a shot.

Just make sure that you have a really good quality spanner or socket to tighten it up. My limiter took way over 200Nm before it wouldn't leak.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby furious on Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:21 pm

so maybe I should buy a 26mm or 27mm spanner? the biggest I have is 25mm and it just too small. and try and tighten? before buying a replacement?

So does the rail limiter have an o ring? i remember seeing a photo of what looked like one?
furious
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:52 pm

No O-ring will take that kind of pressure. There's a copper washer at the other end, under the rail limiter - almost squashed out of existence. It took me 3 or 4 tries to get the washer and seats just perfect enough that the pressure wouldn't blast through the slightest imperfection. One washer was cut near in half. :shock:

The thread on that sensor is a lot smaller though, so won't take the silly torque necessary for the limiter.

Have a careful look at the sensor before you go buying tools. A normal spanner might not work up that end where access is tight - maybe a crows foot and ratchet or something similar may be better. My engine is different so can't help more than that.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby furious on Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:35 am

In hydraulic applications, 0-ring will seal tens of thousands of megapascals. I believe that relates to similar pressures as in the common rail.

I can get a normal spanner in there. the heater hoses are about all that is in the way.
furious
Platinum Subscriber

Postby furious on Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:12 pm

So, no one has any ideas? bugger! I got a 27mm spanner today, the correct size. I didn't have time when I got home to try to play around with it as a storm rolled through.

Has anyone who has replaced the rail limited got any tips for tightening the pressure switch up? the spanner i could get was only 300mm long, so if I need 200nm I'll need a way of extending it.
furious
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:15 pm

Probably not. As I said earlier, the thread on that sensor is fairly small so too much torque will ruin your $200 purchase.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby furious on Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:32 pm

thanks, mate. I'll just take my time and hope I don't ruin anything.
furious
Platinum Subscriber

Postby furious on Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:10 pm

I also found this Denso document on the components of the fuel system and their functions. scrape that, file is too big.
furious
Platinum Subscriber

Postby furious on Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:56 pm

furious wrote:I've done a lot of soul-searching and investigation and the best I can make out is the leak is coming from the pressure sensor on the common rail, this is located towards the firewall. pics attached for reference.

Has anyone replace this pressure sensor or know if it actually is replaceable.

this link indicates it is. https://www.sparesbox.com.au/fuel-rail-pressure-sensor-afi-drps2005-drps2005

I think it may be a rubber seal that seals this sensor. is it possible to just replace the rubber o ring seal only?

I replaced the part this afternoon with the part from the link. AFI DRPS2005. there are no washer or other seals. the front of the sensor is a crush type washer.

I haven't taken the car for a drive but fingers crossed it works.
furious
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Fuel Systems