Replace Fuel Filter System

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Replace Fuel Filter System

Postby RockoWallaby on Tue May 24, 2011 12:53 pm

FYI, The US prices from this ebay stockist was as follows:

The 445r2 is in stock and is $158.00 the R45s filters are in stock and are 19.00 each and fittings brass are 6.00 for the pair you choose the hose inside diameter. Shipping for the lot would be $60.00 (there heavy).

The 225rS I have plenty in stock. they are 96.00 each the elements are 21.00 x2 = 42.00 plus ship down under 38.00 for a grand total of 176.00.

Still waiting for prices on the R47S elements. Remember, this is US dollars.

The freight charges are when purchasing as a filter unit, with cartridge, and 2 spare cartridges.

Contact was as follows:
http://stores.ebay.com/the-marine-suppl ... 4340.l2563

So, the question is, with people running both the 225R and 445R units, is it worth the extra $$ for the extra 50% flow?
Arthur Dent: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world.
Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the universe gets that.
RockoWallaby

Postby RockoWallaby on Thu May 26, 2011 7:36 am

Hmm, they have no listing for the R47S elements, and can't see them on Western Filters site. perhaps not out yet?
Arthur Dent: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world.
Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the universe gets that.
RockoWallaby

Postby Tony on Thu May 26, 2011 11:02 am

OK, forget any filtration at tank end of the system if you run in under minus 5deg.

Stupid diesel separates into wax (Normal) but wont revert back till over 28deg. (Not an issue with under bonnet installations as engine heat does the job)

Our fuel is crap these days :evil:
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kegsy on Thu May 26, 2011 1:30 pm

Damn, I might have to give up those snow seasons...

Will have to make room under the bonnet, never even considered the waxing.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Thu May 26, 2011 2:03 pm

Kegsy wrote:
Will have to make room under the bonnet, never even considered waxing.

I'm not touching this one ;)
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Longranger1 on Thu May 26, 2011 4:11 pm

^^^^ :lol: :lol: The Parker Racor units have an optional heater element to stop wax blockages 8-) .
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Thu May 26, 2011 5:21 pm

^^^^^^ Just what the MN needs......More "electrikery" to bugger up :roll: :roll: :lol:
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kegsy on Thu May 26, 2011 6:32 pm

Homer wrote:
Kegsy wrote:
Will have to make room under the bonnet, never even considered waxing.

I'm not touching this one ;)

HA HA HA, Homer you should have ran with that one... Left the gate wide open :lol:
Last edited by Kegsy on Thu May 26, 2011 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Thu May 26, 2011 6:38 pm

All is good, just use the wax to remove any unwanted hair :lol: :lol:
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Longranger1 on Thu May 26, 2011 6:40 pm

At least it is only a heating element with a simple control. If mits designed it it would need a MUT-3 reflash an additional $300 'service' fee every 6 months :roll: .

Edit: Out of synch here with the post

MN turbo lag? What lag??

Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RockoWallaby on Thu May 26, 2011 8:07 pm

Tony wrote:OK, forget any filtration at tank end of the system if you run in under minus 5deg.

Stupid diesel separates into wax (Normal) but wont revert back till over 28deg. (Not an issue with under bonnet installations as engine heat does the job)

So, what hapens when you leave your car out in cold temps overnight, the diesel separates, but you can't start your car to warm it back up to reliquify the diesel?
RockoWallaby

Postby RockoWallaby on Thu May 26, 2011 8:08 pm

I'm ordering a 225RS, 2 spare filters, and brass fittings from the US, over the weekend. Likely getting 2 sets (mine and housemates). Anyone else local to Ipswich who might be interested in sharing freight when buying some?
Let me know
Scotty
RockoWallaby

Postby Tony on Thu May 26, 2011 8:59 pm

RockoWallaby wrote:
Tony wrote:OK, forget any filtration at tank end of the system if you run in under minus 5deg.

So, what hapens when you leave your car out in cold temps overnight, the diesel separates, but you can't start your car to warm it back up to reliquify the diesel?

The fuel still passes through for a wile, just causes issues over a longer period as wax eventually beats the filtration and wont revert back with out some warmth . I have heaps of problems with out tractors for the same reason.
Never an issue with filters near the heat source (Engine) as seem to pass liquid though the wax till warm up.

Have fitted a remote filter to another vehicle (away from engine) and had to remove it today. Was full of wax. left it in the sun and took over an hour to revert. :o
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby andyj on Mon May 30, 2011 9:55 pm

Caltex are selling winter diesel in the valley at the moment, it includes a non waxing agent which allows the diesel to flow even in minus temps......

Europe have had it for the last 30 Years +++
Or as Speedy Gonzalez once said, it won't hurt, did it
andyj

Postby Tony on Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:30 pm

Some reading for you as a result of factual lab test ;)

A quote from a major filtration conference recently.

There is some bad news for anyone who has a common rail diesel and expects the injectors to last. A study of common rail diesel filters under real operational conditions found that none were able to keep the particulate levels within spec. Which means that the injectors on medium and heavy duty diesels won't last to their design life.

Light duty diesels (e.g. the TD2.7 etc) are considered "disposable" engines, so the injectors may still last the life of the engine.

However, the upshot of this is that it would be a VERY good idea to fit a 2nd inline filter if you plan to keep your common rail diesel for a long time or you travel to areas likely to have dirty fuel (e.g. the CSR).

Filters aren't sieves, so micron ratings are really a load of BS. The 2 micron filter will still be letting particles as large as 10 microns get through. Under LAB conditions!

The main point of the research posted at the start was, a filter that captures 50% of 2 micron particles under lab/ISO tests, may only capture 25% in a real world situation. :shock: :shock:
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mikew on Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:12 pm

Living in Melbourne and with the amount of diesel cars/trucks around now water/dirt in fuel is not a problem any more, maybe out in the sticks but around town save your money and buy something else.
There's more ways to kill a cat other than shoving strawberries up its arse
Mikew

Postby Snooozy on Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:25 pm

The current Supercheap catalog has a Ryco filter/water separator assy on special at $53.85.

I went looking for the specs online & couldn't find anything.

Phoned Ryco & it is rated at 18micron :shock: seems very high, but does have water separator which could be handy
replacement filters are about $10-$12

see Page 17 Supercheap Catalog

Edit

found a better link
Ryco R2132P
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:29 pm

Mikew wrote:Living in Melbourne and with the amount of diesel cars/trucks around now water/dirt in fuel is not a problem any more, maybe out in the sticks but around town save your money and buy something else.

When running higher fuel pressure still is ;) This lack of filtration has been determined a major factor with injector failure.
Even the mass consumed fuel over your way is still well contaminated. I wont mention what our refineries and whole sale distributors call clean filtered fuel. :roll: :lol: Further more, all underground storages contain some water and our own fuel tanks do collect water due to condensation.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:48 pm

Tony wrote:OK, I ended up getting the Baldwin DAHL 65 series with a 66 Two micron replaceable cartridge.

Link shows the 65 series http://www.drillspot.com/products/67302 ... rator_unit

For those that have limited space I would recommend a LUCAS CAV 296 solid (Not glass) water separator as primary and then a Baldwin DAHL 75 series with 66 element as secondary all at the tank end. Would work fine. Just leave the factory filter as is this way. These filters are all designed to work under vacuum so will bleed out fine.

Pics soon ;)

As promised, here are the pics.

The flash has died so the 1st pic a bit under exposed etc.
I was able to jig up some bracketry off the existing filter mount and then fabed a support/brace down to the inner guard. Only nnvolved drilling one 6.5mm hole to the inner guard. Rest is bolt up with 6mm X m1.25.
The filter is now in a place that I was able to retain the factory fuel hoses and simply add efi fuel hose in between. If removed latter, all goes back to stock. ;)

Most importantly, both filters are very easy to service . The secondary is easily reached with everything in situation.
DSCF3225.jpg

Hardware used...... 40mm x 3mm flat (Was lying around) Gal paint, five x 25x6mm 1.25 bolts with three nuts, four washers to suit, 300mm of 5/16 EFI hose, two 9/16 SAE to JIC elbows, two 9/16 JIC to 5/16 (8mm) barbed fittings. (I used hydraulic service fittings)
DSCF3226.jpg

Runs a treat with plenty of flow. I have fitted it on the pump side of factory as proven more effective this way. The mines around here have run this set up for months now with no issues what so ever.
I will be surprised if I need to change the cartridge in less then 15k. Will always carry a spare in case.

Its not a pretty set up due to the colour, large fittings, but is very effective and easy to fit up.

Now fitted, tried and proven to work with out pump issues etc. :mrgreen:
On rolling dyno there is no loss of power at all. 8-)

:!: Anyone doing this, our work environment should be clean. That means dust and other contaminant free. If your work shop is a mess like mine take extra care. Like wise you hands and tools used.
I recommend leaving the out let pipe off and purge about 200mls of diesel before locking the system down. (I also do this on filter changes) This will help insure no foreign objects or contaminants are trapped in the out let side of the system! Including oil. We do not want any contaminants near our expensive and very fragile pump or injectors. :!:

T
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:17 am

Contamination is the biggest enemy! Thats my worry about having to remove the fuel lines for valve adjustments. Picture this - Grunk has chucked the tubes onto his grotty tool tray and gust of wind blows a heap of dust through the workshop. All the filters in the world are not going to save the injectors! Not to mention crap that might end up on the head -ouch!

Re winter formula - I believe the refineries add a bit of kero to the mix over winter.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Longranger1 on Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:25 pm

RHKTriton wrote:Re winter formula - I believe the refineries add a bit of kero to the mix over winter.

Kero? That has to be one of the most abrasive fuels around... At one stage I was studying gas turbine theory (aircraft) and the design of fuel pumps handling avtur (kerosene) has to be be very robust.

I wouldn't want kero going through a common rail system....

MN turbo lag? What lag??

Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kegsy on Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:33 am

I've used about 20 tanks of the alpine mix since I've had my truck. And will need to use a fair bit more, hope it's not causing damage!
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby andyj on Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:24 pm

When I was in the forces we used to put kero in most of the vehicles during the winter in the UK Europe aand Canada...................
Or as Speedy Gonzalez once said, it won't hurt, did it
andyj

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:14 am

With all the crap that probably get into the tanks at the servo and dirt your engine bits are exposed to when you're getting a service done, I suggest a bit of kero for a few months would be the least of your worries.

I always have a chuckle (laughing on the inside) when ads come on telly for various mods offering lower vehicle servicing, with everyone dressed in niece clean outfits and spotless workshops. The reality is usually far from it!

The last one that amused me was walking past a driveway in one of Melbourne's ritsi subburbs. A guy was detailing a top line Audi with a powered polisher. On the way back I saw his partner washing down another car in the street with a broom! gotta wonder if the Audi also initially got washed that way?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:26 pm

fitting a 2 micron fuel filter....

The big Racor Parker mofo.
Model: 445R2
Spec: 170 litres per hour
Filter: R45S
Hardware: 90 DEG 3/8"NPT & 5/16" Barb fittings
Tube of sealant goo... fked if I remember the name :oops:

Approx cost with spare filter; western filters: $450 delivered next day. (exxy but cheap insurance)

Fitting extra, but below is enough info to do yourself if your handy. Me not so 'handy' so I got some help and took some pix. :D

This is setup AFTER the factory filter. Idea is that factory picks up the big stuff and this does the fine stuff enabling long periods between filter changes. Has a service indicator and if stuffs up easy to switch back to factory in a jiffy.

No problems with fuel delivery or flow and I pump more fuel than most here. In fact if I am not having a problem you surely wont. ;)

Photo instructions, ENJOY. :geek:

measuring it up.
Click to view larger picture

the area clear

making up a bracket using some strap steel.

'grinding some shit' :lol:

mount up...

how much twist is needed?

that much

weld some shit

base done some more measurement for foot..

welded up and test fitting

drill thru the guard ;)

painted ready for fitup.

all done :D