Replace Fuel Filter System

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Replace Fuel Filter System

Postby Longranger1 on Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:41 pm

Nice work Geek. Cheap insurance for your F.I. system 8-) .
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:25 pm

Yep, nice one Geek. Although the fit up does looks crap. :lol: :lol: who the fug let that out in the wild :roll:

Will save the fuel system with that extra pressure you may have. :D Very nice filter unit indeed 8-) .... Worth the extra coin in my opinion. ;)

What are all those blue pipes in the background? :roll: You sniffing Nos these days :lol: :lol:
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kegsy on Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:33 pm

Ha ha... we all know you had your sticky fingers on this one Tony...

Good Job boys :mrgreen:
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby brownegaz on Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:02 pm

The standard MN filter has a water detection float built in.I am having to change fuel filters more often than the suggested 20000km or whatever Mitsubishi recommend, Ive changed mine twice and Ive only done 30000km from new, both times the engine was running fine until I hit the freeway at about 2200RPM at around 110kmh and noticed the engine running a little eratic, after renewing the filter (at $80 a time) I cut the old one in half and found it half full of gunk, I dont think there is anywhere near enough surface area in the Mitsi fuel filter to adequately filter the fuel so an up grade is definitley worth looking at IMHO.

Next question is where to fit it.

Has anyone gone to the bother of draining the fuel tank to get any accumulated water and crap out, I assume you would have to remove the tank to do it properly, if I went that far I would probably bite the bullet and fit a long range tank, with a drain [censored] of some sort fitted so I could drain water and crap out.

brownegaz
brownegaz

Postby borngeek on Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:07 pm

Tony wrote:What are all those blue pipes in the background? :roll: You sniffing Nos these days :lol: :lol:

What blue pipes?
Will be shared at some point :P You gee up!

Kegsy wrote:Ha ha... we all know you had your sticky fingers on this one Tony...

Good Job boys :mrgreen:

Seems Tony dobbing himself. :lol:

Very happy with the unit and very tidy install as well ;)
Worth the coin really when you factor the cost of mitsu coded injectors can only go in. I am running pressures that could suck a magpie out of mid flight.... stay tuned for the proper thread ;)
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby veight on Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:18 pm

I can get the racor items from work if anyone needs filters etc. But in all honestly as they are marked up by the importer (Parker) it would be cheaper to buy out of ebay USA.
Send me a PM if you want pricing.
veight

Postby brownegaz on Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:33 am

Has anyone set up the Lucas CAV 296 seperator and Baldwin DAHL 75 unit down near the fuel tank, if so do you have any photos, I would prefer a set up with extra seperator and filter unit near the tank rather than clutter up an already tight engine bay.
Anyone done this in Perth?
Any thoughts
Thanks
Gary
brownegaz

Postby brownegaz on Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:30 pm

Nice job geek.
Im doing the same thing with a DAHL 65 unit.
The DAHL unit was $165.65 +GST and two 66 Elements were $40, its much cheaper to buy these from US at about $10 each.
I was going to fit it before the factory unit but not so sure now,I think I will go the same as you and use the factory filter as primary filter to catch bigger particles and the 2 micron DAHL for finer stuff.
brownegaz

Postby Tony on Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:36 pm

brownegaz wrote:Nice job geek.
Im doing the same thing with a DAHL 65 unit.
The DAHL unit was $165.65 +GST and two 66 Elements were $40, its much cheaper to buy these from US at about $10 each.
I was going to fit it before the factory unit but not so sure now,I think I will go the same as you and use the factory filter as primary filter to catch bigger particles and the 2 micron DAHL for finer stuff.

Same unit I have..... definitely fit it on the engine side.. Very easy and plenty of room. (See my post a wile back in this thread). Remember to puge some fuel through before final connection.

Had mine in a wile now and works a treat. 8-)

When I get a scanner in action will post a 100% scale pic of a template as a guide.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby amanda on Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:10 pm

After our incident with dirty fuel when we were in Nth Queensland we are thinking about installing a long range tank so we have a bung plug to remove the dregs from our tank if the same thing happens again. Is it possible or feasible to install a water sensor (similar to the one in the fuel filter) in the bottom of the LR tank to warn us of future contamination?
amanda
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:21 pm

A water separator with an alarm sensor pre factory filter is what your after. It will let you know before grief happens. Make sure it is rated for the correct flow rate. 8-)
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby brownegaz on Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:03 pm

I have just got home after a 7000km trip up to Broome and back with a few side trips, I only changed the 2 micron DAHL filter once, just to check to see how much crap it filtered and Im glad I did as it was quite dirty, the 10 micron standard factory filter seems to be doing its job, I got fuel at most roadhouses along the way so no idea of fuel quality.

I would like to have the ability to drain the dregs out of the bottom of my fuel tank occasionally, over time there must be a hell of a lot of crap that collects an may en up in filters if the tank is run too low.

I have used 20ml of ICT F-10 Fuel Treatment in every tank full of diesel for a while now so perhaps this has also helped to keep the fuel filters reasonably clean??

brownegaz
brownegaz

Previous

Return to Fuel Systems