ML Diesel Stalling when cold

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Postby bseymore on Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:41 pm

Hi All

I need some help! My 2007 ML GLX-R Triton has started stalling but only when cold. So far the stealer has replaced the glow plugs and tried to charge me out of warranty! Told them glow plugs don't wear out at 70,000 KLM and they backed off. Next they replaced the ECU and wow for the first time ever the glow plug light came on! I live in North Queensland where it never gets very cold. The original problem was that the engine would stall on cold start. Today the vehicle stalled 7 times on the way to work. Each time the engine just lost power and to restart it took several winds to get it going. It feels like it is starving. This was over a 14 KLM trip. It never does this when the engine is warm. I read somewhere that that the problem may be a faulty front seal on the injector pump. The stealer is now asking if I am prepared to pay for any repairs.....it's still under warranty! Has anyone had similar problems? This is the first problem I have had with my Triton. Warranty runs out in December!

Thanks

Brad
bseymore

Re: ML Diesel Stalling when cold

Postby hvac guy on Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:46 pm

How old is the fuel filter ?
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bseymore on Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:50 pm

I can only assume the stealer replaced it last service so less than 12 months old. The stealer has now has it in the shop 4 times.
bseymore

Postby hvac guy on Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:01 pm

Its the big question nowdays do U have a scan guage I think they show fuel pressure.
Common rail engines do funny things when the fuel filters blocked.
Mine won't go over 100 if full throttle.
I'm only 1000ks away till 30k service so I can wait.
But some blokes on here have had there's block up pretty quick.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Brett05 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:10 pm

First thing I'd be doing is buying a new filter and some new hose clamps. I suspect the hose may not be sealing around the fuel pipe and allowing a good seal, due to the cooler conditions. My truck was doing a very similar thing, new clamps cured the problem....good luck with it
If I pushed a copy of myself off a cliff, because he was swearing. Could I be charged with making an obscene clone fall ?
Link to Centre Bearing Mod viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6394
CAD & PDF files Centre Bearing Mod http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/download/file.php?id=638
Brett05

Postby SecondEye on Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:20 pm

Partially similar to my issues the vehicle would not rev up until after ten thumps on the accelerator it would finely get to 2000rpm then rocket up till the fuel limiter cut out was reached. Apparent cause was carbon on the under dash wiring due to dunking though no signs of any water damage in the cabin. Second attempt to fix came up with clogged inlet exhaust manifolds. Sure its sweet now even if the engine check light came on 2km from the auto electricians (after the second visit).

With you beast as Brett said check clamps and fuel filter. make sure there is no water in your fuel at all. Check your plug especially on the back of the SCV. If you can get a scan gauge good idea though the dealer should be more involved with the diagnosing. We are customers our sole responsibility is the break it no fix it :P
SecondEye

Return to Fuel Systems