secondary diesel filter

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: secondary diesel filter

Postby Longranger1 on Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:51 am

mattz wrote:This looks like a cheaper copy of the racor
http://bit.ly/16XhOTs

Looks like a genuine Parker-Racor unit to me. Good price if you can get reasonable freight.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:45 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:How big is the bag? There is still a bit of room between the battery tray and the racor. Finally got around to plumbing mine in today. Been sitting in there disconnected for quite a while.

For those after the smaller Dahl 65 2 micron unit mentioned by Tony here is a place you can buy it:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dahl-65-Diesel-Fuel-Water-Separator-Assembly-std-w-2-Micron-Filter-Flows-76L-H-/380533422029?pt=AU_HeavyMachineryParts&hash=item58998f37cd&_uhb=1

For those looking to get the Racor - ebay US is your best bet as the Australian prices are a bit outlandish for the most part.

i purchased from this guy and he was a very good ebay seller.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:18 am

Longranger1 wrote:

Looks like a genuine Parker-Racor unit to me. Good price if you can get reasonable freight.

Yeah but he says 'equivalent' to racor a couple of times and nominates the brand as FJF filter.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

secondary diesel filter

Postby mattz on Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:05 pm

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby mattz on Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:11 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:
Longranger1 wrote:

Yeah but he says 'equivalent' to racor a couple of times and nominates the brand as FJF filter.

Definitely a copy.
Got a message back saying the only thing in the pic that is genuine racor is the filter in the middle.

Thinking about getting one......just seeing if I can get cheaper shipping.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby viking shippy on Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:47 pm

I just bought the Dahl 65 as I have little room ..tony finds
These filters good $240 inc 2 spare elements..delivered
viking shippy

Postby Tony on Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:37 pm

Depending where its mounted, you may some angled jic fittings (45 or 90) to make it work as likely be supplied with straight.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby viking shippy on Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:16 pm

I've a few kg of brass gas and fuel fittings ready to go...thanks tony
I do have a little space next to the air compressor and motor..
(The compressor it's situated were a aux battery goes)
So I'm aiming for a short run..
viking shippy

Postby macca002 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:15 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:How big is the bag? There is still a bit of room between the battery tray and the racor. Finally got around to plumbing mine in today. Been sitting in there disconnected for quite a while.

For those after the smaller Dahl 65 2 micron unit mentioned by Tony here is a place you can buy it:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dahl-65-Diesel-Fuel-Water-Separator-Assembly-std-w-2-Micron-Filter-Flows-76L-H-/380533422029?pt=AU_HeavyMachineryParts&hash=item58998f37cd&_uhb=1

For those looking to get the Racor - ebay US is your best bet as the Australian prices are a bit outlandish for the most part.

Cheers CD. Had a look again last night (have been a bit busy lately) and looks like the Dahl is the way to go without stuffing around too much with the filler bag.
macca002

Postby brodical on Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:08 pm

Anyone know if one of these water separators will work on our rigs.....could rig it up to an alarm/ light ?????
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221312177058 ... 1423.l2649
Choices we make not the chances we take determine who we are...
brodical

Postby viking shippy on Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:13 pm

brodical wrote:Anyone know if one of these water separators will work on our rigs.....could rig it up to an alarm/ light ?????
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221312177058 ... 1423.l2649

Basically that is the same as your oem filter....
If it doesn't come with a 2micron filter there is no point...
Any way it's sacralidge to fit a Toyota part to a tri...
viking shippy

Postby brodical on Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:29 pm

This one isn't a filter jst a seperator as far as I'm aware ....was thinking if it was put in pre oem that it could detect water and hook up to an audible alarm to detect water before it causes damage??? Jst a thought ...
brodical

Postby viking shippy on Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:58 pm

brodical wrote:This one isn't a filter jst a seperator as far as I'm aware ....was thinking if it was put in pre oem that it could detect water and hook up to an audible alarm to detect water before it causes damage??? Jst a thought ...

That is all in place in your triton the filter is a water sensing filter with a light on your dash..And a 10micron filter..
The secondary filter that tony talks about is put between the oem filter and the engine..as a secondary finer filter and a secondary water trap..
As for just being a water separator I'm not sure either ...there is a bolt on the bottom..
And it is in the shape of a filter cartridge.
I've seen massive water traps on large motor yachts and trucks were there is room
With separate filters but on small trucks they are combo units because of space..
Last edited by viking shippy on Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viking shippy

Postby brodical on Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:10 pm

viking shippy wrote:
brodical wrote:This one isn't a filter jst a seperator as far as I'm aware ....was thinking if it was put in pre oem that it could detect water and hook up to an audible alarm to detect water before it causes damage??? Jst a thought ...

That is all in place in your triton the filter is a water sensing filter with a light on your dash..And a 10micron filter..
The secondary filter that tony talks about is put between the oem filter and the engine..as a secondary finer filter and a secondary water trap..
yeah I'm well aware of the above mate...but if there's considerable amount of water in the fuel it will be to late yeah???and will reach the engine...thought this may bye a cost effective way of sensing the water before it reaches oem...
brodical

Postby viking shippy on Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:28 pm

Agreed^^^^you might be on to something..
viking shippy

Postby brodical on Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:37 pm

And not being a filter as such then shouldn't be a problem with flow restriction either...hmmmmm,
brodical

Postby viking shippy on Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:29 pm

Yeh but you need better than10micron filtration also..
viking shippy

Postby brodical on Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:35 pm

Hmmmm thanks for raining on my parade vs lol..
brodical

Postby viking shippy on Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:53 pm

Sorry mate ....:cry: didn't think I was so good at rain dancing ...oh it's raining outside..lol....:smile:There's always next years parade the forecast is fine..:shock:
I think that if you shut down the truck the minute the light comes on your truck will be ok ...what I would like is a audible buzzer also when the oem filter senses water ....
I'll shut up now and see if anybody else has done this
I'm interested Brodie your ideas are and is still a good one...in my trade I'm continuously adapting things to suit...
viking shippy

Postby brodical on Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:27 pm

If I had one of those money trees out the back I'd jst by the proper gear but can't see myself spending 300 plus on a filter seperator at present anyway ...so jst thinking of other options....I mentioned it to the guy on ebay what I was thinking of doing ..to which he sed yep that's a great idea perfect for your application!!!!! haha sounds like a good salesman .....but to be honest I think the 10 micron filter is jst fine if changed periodically and carry a spare..I'm more concerned about getting a gut full of water in the tank especially some where remote.....
brodical

Postby Tony on Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:36 pm

I'd think a 2um secondary filter is still first on the list, if water gets past the OEM and a secondary filter, stop filling your triton with a garden hose and contaminated fuel drums. :roll: :lol:

No harm in the extra water separator, but they will still cause some friction loss to the system even with no filter cartridge.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:37 pm

You can use a filter funnel when filling up if the fuel is suspect? On NewHilux the guys worked out how to connect an audible alarm to their setups so it must be possible. Maybe if you read what they did you'll be able to suss out how to do it on ours?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby brodical on Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:00 pm

No harm in the extra water separator, but they will still cause some friction loss to the system even with no filter cartridge.[/quote]
Some friction loss yes but not detrimental yeah ? The 2 um would be quite a bit more restrictive ...
brodical

Postby brodical on Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:05 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:You can use a filter funnel when filling up if the fuel is suspect? On NewHilux the guys worked out how to connect an audible alarm to their setups so it must be possible. Maybe if you read what they did you'll be able to suss out how to do it on ours?
yeah I seen those mr funnel doovers and they look good... exxy for the highest flow one wich I think was 45 l per min...but hey at least ya know exactly what's in ya tank..."diesel" lol
brodical

Postby AnOldFart on Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:17 pm

I was concerned at a few reports of water contaminated fuel being sold from one of our local servo's and so I stuck one of these Donaldson water separators on my MN ute.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/P902976-Add- ... 5ae7c78509

I mounted it up under the ute's tray just above the fuel tank where I can easily see what's inside the visage glass that's fitted on the bottom of it every time I fill up. Relatively painless fitting job. I changed the kit supplied original 8mm hose barbs over to use two 12mm right angle types instead to match the existing 12mm ID hose and tank fittings. Got the 12mm barbs from my local EnZed hose supplier as well as some SAE 30R7 Fuel hose and clamps. All seems to work well and so far no water to be seen ..... of course.....!!

Click to view larger picture Click to view larger picture Click to view larger picture Click to view larger picture
Last edited by AnOldFart on Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems