Issue starting 3.2

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Issue starting 3.2

Postby carrrake on Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:56 pm

Hi all, wondering if anyone could help me out with this pickle

2 weeks ago i noticed the car was taking just a smidge longer to crank over, i thought okay, battery just needs a trickle charge overnight. But this didn't solve it so i then thought dirty fuel filter, no dramas, went to repco and got a ryco filter and replaced that. still issues.

Then.. a few days later i noticed fuel leaking from the rubber/pipe connection at the tank. The hose had split at the hose clamp.
So yesterday i dropped the tank to replace the fuel line with 3/8 fuel line from repco. Being an ironman long range tank, it was a pain in the a$$, but manage to change out both fuel lines. but i did manage to drop it a couple of times while i wrestled with it into position while lying on my back. Job done, or so i thought.

I then primed the lift pump and got it till i thought it was hard. Fired it up, then as i reversed down my driveway, it died.. And has been sitting since. I really dont want to keep cranking it over and over.
I tried to prime it again as i thought it was an air lock (even though its self bleeding??) but i cant get the primer to go hard. Solid pumping it for 10 minutes, doesnt look like much but its quite the workout. I am absolutely confident all the hose clamps are tight so no vacuum leak there. But to check, i took filter out again and it had fuel in it so fuel must be making it the filter. so now my thoughts is the fuel pump is tired...probably from cranking too much without fuel??

Other than that, nothing has been touched. Absolutely regretting trying to save a few bucks and do this job myself :(
carrrake
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Issue starting 3.2

Postby snakesoup on Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:51 pm

check you haven't over tightened the hose clamps as this can also allow air into the lines, failing that I'm at a loss
snakesoup

Postby Jeff Turner on Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:55 pm

Colder weather coming. How old is the battery.
I say battery if a few years old
Jeff Turner

Postby carrrake on Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:17 pm

Hmm could have over tighten as like to give things that extra oomph, but not by much

And as for battery, I did have it connected to my cruiser which also has a massive battery and still nothing. However I live in the pilbara so cold day here is 35 degree :lol:
carrrake
Platinum Subscriber

Postby carrrake on Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:23 pm

So question is, how long do people have to pump to get pressure. I'd imagine it wouldn't be long?
As the suction control is a metering valve, could the spool be stuck open returning fuel straight back to tank ? As it ran out of fuel, could of gone dry and seized?
carrrake
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:33 pm

Is the engine cranking at the normal speed?

Is the rail limiter stuffed? Leaking away pressure?

Have you checked SCV?

Has something blocked the fuel outlet on your fuel tank?

Assuming the battery passed. :lol:
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby carrrake on Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:44 pm

RHKTriton wrote:Is the engine cranking at the normal speed?

Yes it was, well until the battery started to die but had connected to helper battery

RHKTriton wrote:Is the rail limiter stuffed? Leaking away pressure?

Could be, but highly coincidental that this has happened after dropping the tank

RHKTriton wrote:Have you checked SCV?

No, but next on my list. But i should add that the SCV is only 6 months old

RHKTriton wrote:Has something blocked the fuel outlet on your fuel tank?

Quite possibly, i really hope not, cant be arsed taking off tail shaft, dropping tank etc etc. but i did have fuel inside the filter so im assuming everything up until the lift pump/filter housing is all good :?

RHKTriton wrote:Assuming the battery passed. :lol:

Yep. On trickle charge tonight before i give it another shot tomorrow
carrrake
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:41 pm

Can be a bugger with some of these issues carrrake.

Just re read your first post and you mention changing two fuel hoses. No chance of crossing the connections?

I'd be inclined to pull out SCV for a lookie, just make sure its spotless around it before removal.

Back to tank; get a bit of tube and connect to line from tank and see if you can blow air back into tank.

Re the primer; mine only takes a couple of pumps to go hard (not bragging! :lol: )

There is a micro strainer in the fuel pump, this could have picked up dirt when your SCV got replaced, but would have expected consequences sooner.

Hopefully you crack the case soon.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby carrrake on Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:35 am

RHKTriton wrote:Re the primer; mine only takes a couple of pumps to go hard (not bragging! :lol: )

:lol: :lol:

Actually that is a good idea to blow down the lines to check to see if the lines are blocked
carrrake
Platinum Subscriber

Postby carrrake on Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:19 pm

RHKTriton wrote:Back to tank; get a bit of tube and connect to line from tank and see if you can blow air back into tank.

A big thank you to RHKTriton for the inspiration, running sweet now :D

I knew i couldnt cross the lines over because i noticed that the pressure line is bigger than the return line so that made that easier to reassemble.

So then i took off the pressure line at the filter end and tried to blow air into tank, and couldnt :shock: Okay, laid down to check fuel line for a kink..... and clear as day
Click to view larger picture
A massive kink in the line! F@#$%!! How did i miss that sucker!!

Hot tip.. If you're ever stuck on something and been working on it a while, call it quits for a while, pref overnight so you come back with fresh eyes. I was so fixated in the wrong area that i completed forgot about the basics :roll:
carrrake
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snakesoup on Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:29 pm

which tank have you got? I didn't need to remove the tails haft to fit the longranger in ! glad you found your problem mate !!
snakesoup

Postby carrrake on Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:41 pm

I have the Ironman 125L. It could be possible but would be a total pain in the a$$ so i removed the tail shaft after jacking up the rear a bit.
carrrake
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snakesoup on Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:45 pm

just got to jack her up higher!!!!
snakesoup

Postby carrrake on Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:06 pm

Damn, I only jacked it up to stop gearbox oil leaking past the seal. Must remember that
carrrake
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Fuel Systems