P0302 error

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

P0302 error

Postby slimv6 on Thu May 14, 2009 2:25 pm

got a engine light on last week.

I was moving down the motorway and went back to 3rd to passa truck and as soon as I put the foot down the 6 banger missed on the second cyllinder for about a second. welcome to limp mode. so drove it to the stealer like that and had them reset it with the MUTIII...

funny thing was that after the miss, there was feedback from the ignition on the radio, like a shot supressor or HT lead. methinks the stock leads are krap and need to be changed to the local version.

van's booked in on monday to have the plugs and leads checked. what a kaka job just to check leads and all. intake plenum off, might as well do a set of plugs now. some new iridiums on the way, thanks.

anyone else had a misfiring issue on a petrol banger? its only happened twice in 100000km... :?
I'm not as thunk as you drink I am. ;)
slimv6

Re: P0302 error

Postby Homer on Thu May 14, 2009 3:12 pm

No mate. I hope it's nothing that's going to repeat. What caused the misfire the other time?

I got the engine check light for the second time yesterday at 170k's when overtaking a couple of trucks with would you believe a battered old Ford Explorer fair up me clacker.
It stayed on for the next 7 hrs and was still on this morning.

I was a bit worried it might've been the MAF sensor cooked from the uni filter oil and high intake air speed at the time.

I just pulled the negative off for about 20 secs and it is gone. I turned the key from outside the car and it revved to about 2500 on start up and then went straight back to normal idle. Didn't even lose the radio setting or compass.

Are your leads/plugs a warranty thing if they break down before the due service period? I'm guessing not as they are a wear item?

On another note, I'd like to see how fast these things actually go. The auto kicked down at 140k's and was still pulling easy at 170 when all the lights came on :lol:
There's some big long flat empty roads between Rocky and Mackay.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby slimv6 on Mon May 18, 2009 4:14 pm

It also happened on the cold start the other day. but light never came on. maybe just a fecked lead. but they will rell me more about it today, could also be a bum plug...

updates to follow...
slimv6

Postby Homer on Thu May 28, 2009 7:41 am

I got a PO303 error and Hickos smart guage read it as a misfire on cylinder 3 so maybe yours is misfire cylinder 2?
Might make it easier to locate the bung plug/lead.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby slimv6 on Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:22 am

THey took my leads off and tested ohmage and all that good shit. but it seems that there;s no issue. COuld have just been a loose pluglead. But what a crap job to test leads. plenum off.

have you had your in to check it?? 0302 is definitely misfire @ 2. there's a similar one iirc the 0202 for coilpack issue, but I never gt that one...

I've had mine up to 180, then the governor kicked in. :o gps was at about 186, becasue of the bigger tyres. but it's not fun to drive at that speed in this tank. :mrgreen:
slimv6

Postby Homer on Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:50 am

Governor?
Maybe that's why I got an engine check light at 170? It was still pulling well hard then though. Also wasn't particularly unstable either, but it has after market suspension.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby CCM on Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:30 pm

P0301,02, 03 etc are Cylidner xx missfire.

ECU detects missfire as unburnt fuel at oxygen sensors usually and reports this way. Poor Fuel atomisation by injector (lazy injector or poor 'lower' fuel pressure) or actual ignition malfunction (momuntary plug or lead failure)...

More common at cold start for the examples I've seen previsouly (not Triton specific though) as cylinder fill when engine cold doesn't promote very good fuel spray patterns... Usually exagerated by one or the other either way.
I bought a new Turbo Diesel Ute to tow my two toys, now the Ute takes all my time n money! crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap
CCM

Postby Big Brad on Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:33 pm

My engine light is always popping on and off due to the Lpg.

The computer decides it isn't a worthy fuel every now and then and flicks the light on.

No difference to the vehicle though and usually goes off again after next start up.

Gave it to Mitsu the first time it did it and they said don't worry about it as it is an ongoing thing with the lpg.
The next statement is True - The first statement is False
Big Brad

Postby Homer on Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:20 pm

My 0303 light was virtually straight after start up as CCM says.

My only concern with engine lights is dealers don't worry about them, and after you've had one and nothing happens either do I. But what if something serious was wrong? I just keep driving now.

Maybe if it's serious it goes into limp mode?

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby slimv6 on Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:30 pm

I gt another p0302 last week. wes excercising 3rd gear and hm. [censored].

they can't tell what it is, but it's the 1st one in about 50000km. :lol:
maybe a decent set of plugs are on order? any recommendations out there?

currently got some nkg 3-electrode bullshit in there. wanna go iridium...
slimv6

Return to Fuel Systems