White Smoke on Startup

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

White Smoke on Startup

Postby ML-VR08 on Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:12 am

First thing in the morning, nearly everymorning i get a puff of white smoke when i start the car. I glow it until the light goes out, but it still blows a tiny bit, does everyone else have this? What could be causing it? White smoke is air yes?
ML-VR08

Re: White Smoke on Startup

Postby Greedy on Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:25 am

Get a good cloud out of mine too. Also noticed it's taking about 7 or 8 cranks to get it started as well. Used to be religously 4. :?:
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ML-VR08 on Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:31 am

Battery could be on the way out then, this is what i thought could be the problem! Not enuf cold cranking amps!
ML-VR08

Postby 85HiluxSR5 on Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:47 am

my old mans old turbo diesel mazda bravo used to do that, over time starts started getting rougher and rougher but we traded it on a new patrol b4 we ever got it fixed... get it checked out...
Last edited by 85HiluxSR5 on Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
85HiluxSR5

Postby ML-VR08 on Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:31 pm

Well kicking this back upto the top - booked in for a look at thursday so car goes in over night and they can see it happen when cold. It could be a dodgy injector or maybe compression??? Or even rings? Wouldnt think it would happen this early....only done 20000kms...
ML-VR08

Postby Greedy on Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:44 pm

Kepp us up to date. Be interesting to hear their spin on it.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ML-VR08 on Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:05 pm

Your telling me lol....
ML-VR08

Postby sam on Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:45 pm

That's one of the main reasons I run Nulon injector cleaner through our vehicles on a regular basis as
it helps greatly to reduce smoke and injector probs as my old Massey 165 is living proof ;)
sam

Postby trytin on Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:02 pm

Mine does it in cold weather. I think its just becasue its diesel and its cold. Seen on other forums asking exactly the same questions at this time of year from various brands. Mate is a truck driver who says same thing - just cold.
trytin

Postby johnnie5 on Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:39 pm

white smoke is moisture

check the coolant is not disappearing

its winter and cold, likely to get white smoke in the mornings
johnnie5

Postby GLSTOY on Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:22 pm

hey Ml, my triton also blow a small puff of white smoke on start up some times if i drive in first gear under 2000rpm the smoke gets worst, the colder the weather the smoke, once i change to second and let it come onto boost the smoke goes away i think its a sticky injector, white smoke generally points to fuel,
GLSTOY

Postby heybazza on Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:53 am

GLSTOY wrote:hey Ml, my triton also blow a small puff of white smoke on start up some times if i drive in first gear under 2000rpm the smoke gets worst, the colder the weather the smoke, once i change to second and let it come onto boost the smoke goes away i think its a sticky injector, white smoke generally points to fuel,

Gday Glstor, Iam a Diesel mechanic by trade, this is a common problem with the 2.8 mk tritions (havent come across it in mls as yet) i will bet by last dollar it is a glow plug 4sure, very simple to check if you are familiar with a multi meter.
heybazza

Postby revhead on Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:36 am

sam wrote:That's one of the main reasons I run Nulon injector cleaner through our vehicles on a regular basis as
it helps greatly to reduce smoke and injector probs as my old Massey 165 is living proof ;)

I think you could feed them old massey's on shit & they would still run ok,

We have a 165, 175 & a 178 & apart from a little cancer there still running sweet
revhead

Postby sierra on Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:44 am

revhead wrote:I think you could feed them old massey's on shit & they would still run ok,
We have a 165, 175 & a 178 & apart from a little cancer there still running sweet

Used to have a 135 that had almost 10,000hours on the clock, original apart from the radiator[genuine was about $300]
Started after 3 turns every time, no puffy glow plugs and never used a drop of oil. Depreciation over 9 years was $1,000!
:cry: :cry: Cos it's gone.
sierra

Postby tassie_ml on Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:06 pm

ML-VR08 wrote:Well kicking this back upto the top - booked in for a look at thursday so car goes in over night and they can see it happen when cold. It could be a dodgy injector or maybe compression??? Or even rings? Wouldnt think it would happen this early....only done 20000kms...

any feedback from the dealer. I am very interested to see what the outcome is as I test drove a TD ML GLX-R yesterday and it spewed heaps of white shite out when driven cold....it has put me off it, but if is an easy fix or 'normal' then it might still be a good buy.
Mark

07 Cyber Blue GLX R with a few mods

sent from my mobile rock using smoke signals
tassie_ml

Postby ChilliChadd on Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:14 pm

Mine started doing the same thing after filling up, got water in the fuel, then after a bit it burns it off. Most likely need a fuel dump and clean out.
ChilliChadd

Return to Fuel Systems