Fuel additives - DiD & V6's

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Fuel additives - DiD & V6's

Postby Adz on Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:30 pm

For all the V6'ers out there...here's a question for ya. ;)

Do any of you use fuel additives (i.e. Wynns) for cleaning injectors and keeping the fuel system clean? If so, are they any good or are they just a marketing scam to make you spend more money? Are they any good to use (no bad side effects) and which ones would be recommended?
Cheers,
Adz.
Last edited by Adz on Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can sit there complaining, or you can knit me some seat belts.
Adz

Re: Fuel additives -V6's

Postby boycee on Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:42 pm

I know I'm not a v6er adz but I just ran three tanks of nulon diesel injector cleaner through and wow what a difference. The car runs heaps smoother and my fuel economy has gone down 2 lt per 100km. :o
Highly reccommend it. 8-)
Think it should be the same for you guys too. :?
www.4wdsupplies.com.au
boycee
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Adz on Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:47 pm

Thanks boycee...I've always been sceptical about the use of additives, mainly because I dont know enough about them to say that they actually work.
So you reckon Nulon huh? I might give it a try...if you other fellas have any feedback on what works I would really appreciate it.
Adz

Postby boycee on Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:53 pm

my econ went up to around 12.7 when I put the tyres on but now it is back to 10.2 ish. nice 8-)
www.4wdsupplies.com.au
boycee
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Fuel additives - DiD & V6's

Postby Adz on Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:53 pm

Subject edit...could be useful for ALL triton owners. ;)
Adz

Postby Naff on Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:09 pm

You mean one product bottle in each of your last three tanks boycee?
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:15 pm

I've found that injector cleaner is one of the few additives that does work and the Nulon is as good as any. Beware there are some el cheapo ones out there - stick to the big name brands and make sure you get the one that's formulated for your fuel, petrol or diesel. Interesting that I put a tank of Vortex through mine last weekend (because in Newcastle they're selling ethanol mix, not unleaded) and it had a similar effect. Fuel consumption went down and power went up. A good alternative to additive and probably about the same cost.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby boycee on Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:15 pm

one bottle is 300ml and treats 300l of fuel so I just put 100ml in each tank over the three tanks :?
www.4wdsupplies.com.au
boycee
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Naff on Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:31 pm

ah gotcha - I just remember tipping whole bottles of wynns spitfire into my first car - probably didn't need to :lol:
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:35 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:I've found that injector cleaner is one of the few additives that does work and the Nulon is as good as any. Beware there are some el cheapo ones out there - stick to the big name brands and make sure you get the one that's formulated for your fuel, petrol or diesel. Interesting that I put a tank of Vortex through mine last weekend (because in Newcastle they're selling ethanol mix, not unleaded) and it had a similar effect. Fuel consumption went down and power went up. A good alternative to additive and probably about the same cost.

So 5th you're saying that vortex or 98 octane did the same thing on 1 tank?

If that's the case, then is there a benefit in using Nulon etc if you use 98% all the time?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby sam on Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:34 pm

As said before a number of times I ran Nulon Diesel injector cleaner in the blue ML all it's life and when the manifold was done they were quite surprized at how little buildup there was for the km's .
I'm doing the same one this one as well ;)

Found the best was to buy a 20 Lt drum of the stuff makes it very cheap so you guys on the east coast might be able to share the cost and split a drum into 4 or 5lt containers or something like that :idea: :idea:
sam

Postby Racer on Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:55 pm

I run Chemtech Diesel Power in every tank. I haven't notice any difference as I have always ran it, I did quite a bit of reading when I purchased the Triton, being my first diesel....a lot recommended it....

Would adding the injector cleaner assist? Chemtech claims to give better economy etc but from what I read its well known to carry the moisture through and diesel running clean....

Better check the filter after today....Bulldust on the Central Coast...whats going on there???
09 ML GLX-R 3.2
Racer

Postby tritondan on Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:16 am

this is my first diesel.

my bro in law mechanic has a hilux cant wait to drag him at the lights) and he puts a bottle of injector clean through at every service and says thats part of maitenance to keep it all good. ran up 100 000 on the lux and never had a problem
its a brand new day - its a brand new life
tritondan

Postby Homer on Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:22 am

Does anyone know if this injector cleaner also fixes the slime/mould problem that grows in diesel tanks or is there something else available?

That would be something I would do reasonably regularly.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby sam on Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:44 am

Homer wrote:Does anyone know if this injector cleaner also fixes the slime/mould problem that grows in diesel tanks or is there something else available?

Yes it does ;)
sam

Postby Adz on Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:58 am

Just wondering if anyone has used >>THIS<<

Looks like it does the same kind of thing as Nulon...just more expensive?
Adz

Postby boycee on Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:31 am

looks ok adz. add to wishlist and wish it was cheaper. :lol:

I only went the nulon because it treats 3 tanks from one bottle, so it must be potent stuff. worked really well for me and it was cheap. 8-)
www.4wdsupplies.com.au
boycee
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Adz on Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:36 am

Thanks boycee....Im thinking the Nulon is the way to go...I'd rather pay $10 for 3 tanks, than 30 bucks for 1 tank!! :lol:
Adz

Postby Homer on Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:41 am

sam wrote:
Homer wrote:Does anyone know if this injector cleaner also fixes the slime/mould problem that grows in diesel tanks or is there something else available?

Yes it does ;)

Well that makes it a must do for the oilers :D

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Dylan 191 on Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:00 pm

Some interesting reading about adding 2 stroke oil in diesel

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic878.html?highlight=oil
Marge bring me your address book ,4 beers and my conversation hat !!
Dylan 191

Postby sierra on Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:20 am

Dylan 191 wrote:Some interesting reading about adding 2 stroke oil in diesel
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic878.html?highlight=oil

Very interesting Dylan.
It makes sense because 2 stroke oil is designed to provide the sole engine lubrication mixed with petrol as the fuel which has zippo lubrication properties of it's own. That's usually at 1/50 these days so 1/200 or 25% of the amount to compensate for the lack of sulphur in a fuel that only needs to lubricate the pump and injection gear makes sense.
Also better cylinder lubrication to some extent.
There's something else in some 2 stroke oils that has very good properties, to the extent that it can show improved economy added to petrol. It's something like butanol[sounds like] but can't be that because that's a fuel. It's a rubber like compound that dissolves in solvent like petrol and enhances combustion?
:? 8-)
It's 'butyl' of some sort, not butanol!

He even suggests putting in 3 x that amount for engines with some km's that needs the carbon cleaning out of the system.
8-)
sierra

Postby Naff on Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:30 am

I have used Nulon in two of the last 4 tanks full and have noticed a significant difference... I'm considering always having a bottle in the ute. :)
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:24 pm

NaffX214 wrote:I have used Nulon in two of the last 4 tanks full and have noticed a significant difference... I'm considering always having a bottle in the ute. :)

Nulon 2 stroke oil? ;)
I just picked up 1L of Valvoline 2 stroke racing oil for $9.90 from Super Cheap to try it out. It's JASO FC spec non synthetic as specified for DPF which we haven't got and will be interesting to try out. Called in at a chemist and asked for a 200ml syringe but they only had 10ml so will have to figure out another way of getting the measure in the tank? Might have a biggy at the vets?
:o
sierra

Postby daryn on Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:31 pm

Well, this will be interesting as I reckon I have the thirstiest Diesel Triton in the country.

I will be trying the Nulon Injector cleaner tomorrow, cant wait.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:59 am

Interesting stuff. I have a 4 stroke mower and a two stroke whipper snipper so I have 2 cans of fuel in the shed. Sometimes the mower fuel runs out and so I whack some of the two stroke fuel in the mower. Every time I do the mower runs far better than it does with just straight petrol. No plug fouling, no smoke - just smoother, quieter and more power.

And in a belated reply to Homer's question.... yes, just one tank of the Vortex. The improvement was apparent within 100km. I spent 15 years working for oil companies and our chemists always said that the additive package in petrol was applied at the minimum level necessary to achieve a result but that better results could be achieved with higher doses. This wasn't done because of cost. I didn't work for Caltex but our chemists used to recommend (verbally, not officially) that we run a tank of Caltex CX-3 (which contained much higher additive package levels) through our cars to clean the injection, inlet system and top end. These were carburettor and injected engines, but not direct injection, and the differences before and after were astonishing. Carbies and manifolds were clean as a whistle after, buildup in heads and around valves significantly reduced. So, the stuff does definitely work and it would appear that Vortex contains a similar package.

Now I'm back to running normal unleaded the difference is again noticable - must be time to run another tank of Vortex through.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Next

Return to Fuel Systems