Fuel additives - DiD & V6's

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Fuel additives - DiD & V6's

Postby Install on Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:18 am

I use http://www.moreyoil.co.nz/details.php?& ... roductID=2 this product and it drops my L/100km by 1.0L/100 on the tanks that i use it in, consistently everytime.
Apart from the bug killer/smoke reducing/lubrication side of things the bit that i love is it raises Cetane points 5+.
For what we pay for a bottle here in NZ, it actually pays for itself with increased mileage plus the cleaner pulling power.
I buy it here at Supercheap so maybe it is sold over there in the West Island as well? :lol:

Roof Racks, Ladders, Canopy full of tools + 2T Trailer, city driving 11.8/100km Average (Based on last 40 tanks or so) strip the work gear off her and it hovers around 9-10/100km.

I'm now running a DMS and pre-chip to post-chip total fuel average fiqures have only gone up 0.31L/100km, running empty the DMS can drop me down to in the 8's L/100km and loaded/towing jumps into 12-13+ L/100km but lot of that is a heavy foot :lol: and even a bigger smile 8-)
If you're in control, you ain't going fast enuff!
Install

Postby snowman on Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:10 am

daryn wrote:Well, this will be interesting as I reckon I have the thirstiest Diesel Triton in the country.

I will be trying the Nulon Injector cleaner tomorrow, cant wait.

it is not your motor Daryn - it is your torque converter.

do this excercise. fill up in newcaste for a trip on the F3 in low traffic. sit on about 2360RPM or higher for as long as you can. then get off and top up tank. take readings. i think you will be surprised.

based on scanguage output the TC locks at 2360 RPM (scangauge shows RPM).

i am absolutely convinced of this now. you may also note accelerating from low second gear the RPM will immediately run out to 2360 and hold there while the speed increases to a point that the 2nd gear speed matches the RPM then they both go up. this is the TC slipping - look for it. As 2360RPM is about 115-117klm/hr almost all our normal driving means the TC is slipping and hence our pathetic consumption figures. The oversized tyres amplify the problem as we need less RPM at any given speed.

get back to me via PM.

sorry for hijack.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby daryn on Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:22 am

Thanks Snowman, I know my Torque Converter is part of the problem, but I also reckon I have some engine probs too, even before I upped the size in tyres fuel consumption was getting worse over months.

So staying on subject :), I am going down the freeway today to Sydney airport (flying to Darwin) and I will be stopping at SuperCheapo's to get some to test for the trip down today and back Friday.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Naff on Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:48 am

No Sierra :lol: - Nulon Injector Cleaner.

And why don't you just get a measuring jug to measure the 200ml? It won't matter if you aren't spot on anyway.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:00 am

snowman wrote:it is not your motor Daryn - it is your torque converter.

It's just a solenoid operating the lock up clutch that could be operated from a switch on the dash or?
Try googling 'torque converter lock up controllers', there's some interesting info out there and kits where you can dial in the lock up rpm.

http://www.puredieselpower.com/catalog/ ... -1255.html

NaffX214
It's getting the measured quantity into the filler neck at the pump without causing a bottle neck while I mess around doing it. Need to have it ready to squirt.
You might get better results from 2 stroke oil a lot cheaper?
:?
sierra

Postby sam on Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:35 pm

I just use an old power aid bottle with one of those pull/push caps and marked the side with a texter for the correct amount and just keep it in the passengers front door pocket (perfect fit) ;)
Had it for ages and is lasting very well :o
sam

Postby snowman on Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:33 pm

sierra wrote:
snowman wrote:it is not your motor Daryn - it is your torque converter.

It's just a solenoid operating the lock up clutch that could be operated from a switch on the dash or?
Try googling 'torque converter lock up controllers', there's some interesting info out there and kits where you can dial in the lock up rpm.

http://www.puredieselpower.com/catalog/ ... -1255.html

thanks.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:28 pm

sam wrote:I just use an old power aid bottle with one of those pull/push caps and marked the side with a texter for the correct amount and just keep it in the passengers front door pocket (perfect fit) ;)
Had it for ages and is lasting very well :o

Sounds a better idea than the 60ml syringe I bought from the vets for $8. Couldn't even fill it once and tossed it across the tray and up ended the 1L container to guess about 1/3 for a full tank.
Not impressed with the first 4km coming home in traffic and wont repeat the experiment unless there are clear gains.
2T oil is very sticky stuff and it took neat dish washing liquid to get it off the syringe.
:(
sierra

Postby sierra on Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:56 pm

Started up this morning and totally different.
Non of the cold motor clatter going up the road, quiet from the moment it started and sweet straight away. Hard to hear any injector noise.
If anyone else wants to try 2 stroke oil and the 3.2 has a cat same as the 2.5 make sure it's mineral or semi synthetic and low ash JASO 'FC' or higher spec. 200/1 mix or 375mls down the filler shute just before you fill up to the top for the first tankfull.
Now to see what the fuel consumption does?
8-)
sierra

Postby daryn on Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:23 pm

daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby daryn on Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:28 pm

daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby mad992 on Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:57 am

ok so ive put in a cup of 2 stroke oil in this tank will see if it helps in some way, the logic does make sense
mad992

Postby sierra on Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:45 am

mad992 wrote:ok so ive put in a cup of 2 stroke oil in this tank will see if it helps in some way, the logic does make sense

Well done for giving it a go.
I was stopped next to a Mazda BT50 at the lights and it sounded like an old tractor compared to mine with the 2T. The mechanical noises are the ones that have gone, you still hear it working but subdued and purposeful. It could all be in my imagination so let us know your impressions and hopefully you will confirm what I say?
:? :)
Where's Dylan who started the 2T thread through this?
I hope you've tossed 1/3L in yours too, in the interests of research?
;)
sierra

Postby mad992 on Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:10 pm

thanks sierra mate, yeah im impressed definately has made a difference in noise and running smoother i think,,,but ive just taken out egr plate and i really do think my tri is running better than ever now heaps smoother sierra
mad992

Postby sierra on Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:38 pm

mad992 wrote:thanks sierra mate, yeah im impressed definately has made a difference in noise and running smoother i think,,,but ive just taken out egr plate and i really do think my tri is running better than ever now heaps smoother sierra

Great, that's 2 of us with positive results from 2T. Shame it coincided with removing the EGR plate and the reflash but that wouldn't have made it quieter. Especially from cold.
Anyone else want a 'quiet' diesel engine, better economy, less smoke[never seen any from mine anyway] smoother and gruntier, longer life, clean internals, lower emissions? More than claimed by the much more expensive additives. 2T is far more widely used when you check out the diesel forums and nobody has blamed any problems on its use that I've seen.
Check it out.
:shock: :o :)
sierra

Postby mad992 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:43 pm

ill back you up on this 1 sierra, i agree with everything you said and everything ive read on this matter , i reckon oilers give it a shot cause if you think about it the logic 2t will help our diesels i think anyway in a lot of positive ways 8-)
mad992

Postby Dylan 191 on Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:14 am

sierra wrote:
Where's Dylan who started the 2T thread through this?
I hope you've tossed 1/3L in yours too, in the interests of research?
;)

Triton is still sitting round the back waiting for me to get licence back , 4 weeks now :D
think i will give it a go when i start driving again , only thing that worries me is the gum that is left over
i've had 2 stroke motorcross bikes before i went 4 stroke and the power valves on the exhaust used to gum up with a thick paste , fuel mix was 40:1 so it was a bit of oil ...... hmmmmm
Marge bring me your address book ,4 beers and my conversation hat !!
Dylan 191

Postby sierra on Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:47 am

Dylan 191 wrote:Triton is still sitting round the back waiting for me to get licence back , 4 weeks now :D
think i will give it a go when i start driving again , only thing that worries me is the gum that is left over
i've had 2 stroke motorcross bikes before i went 4 stroke and the power valves on the exhaust used to gum up with a thick paste , fuel mix was 40:1 so it was a bit of oil ...... hmmmmm

Seems ages ago when I picked up your nudge bar. You must have been really bad! :shock:

Strange the paste didn't get turned to toast. Can you remember what 2T oil you were using?
Several people have commented how clean their 2 stroke engines are when stripped and others have claimed the 2T oil actually cleans out any deposits left from diesel.
I will be happy if you put in 1/3L when you top up and let us know your impressions after a few days. So far only 2 of us have given it a go, both positive.
:| :) :D
sierra

Postby Dylan 191 on Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:11 pm

Road bikes can get you into trouble easily :(
It was Motul fully synthetic with ester , not sure of the spec's

Yeah think i will give it a go see what happens

Do you think it could block up the cat ? Cant be much worse than the soot from diesel i guess :?
Marge bring me your address book ,4 beers and my conversation hat !!
Dylan 191

Postby sierra on Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:46 pm

Ahhh! So it wasn't the Triton that got you into trouble.

Best not to use that oil in the 3.2.
If you follow that thread you posted, especially 'Yamaha fan' I think she is called, you will see the cat mentioned and it's only the DPF or whatever it's called in the exhaust that you have to be careful about. Others are wary but she is adament it's all been tested and proven safe and beneficial.
So mineral or part synthetic, low ash and JASO FB or higher spec FC etc
Just get what I got from Super Cheap. Valvoline 2 stroke racing oil JASO FC 1L $9.99?

Looking at the specs I realised it's a got a measure built in and I only added 190ml for a full 75L which is 1/400 and half the recommended dose. Hard to hear the engine at idle and very quiet but purposeful under load, sounds great.
:roll: :) :D
sierra

Postby MR T on Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:41 pm

so we should put in 380 ml :?:
a smile is a sign of joy, a hug is a sign of love, a laugh is a sign of happiness and a friend like me...well...that's a sign of good taste.
MR T

Postby sierra on Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:55 pm

MR T wrote:so we should put in 380 ml :?:

I'm going to add a bit extra when i fill up next but I would start with 300ml for the first trial because I'm sure you will notice the changes even a bit light on.
If you've clocked up a lot of km they suggest tipping a whole litre in for the first tank to clean the sytem but since 50% was successful in mine I would lean it out a bit until we're all happy it's as good as others claim.
:| :) :D
sierra

Postby daryn on Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:45 pm

I have given it a go, I put 200ml when I filled and have driven to Sydney, 150km, go back tomorrow.

Maybe not enough, it was a spur of a moment thing at the servo so I could not remember how much and played safe.

So, I am 3,but have no feedback yet, I m still waiting for comment on my above purge product post.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby liamb on Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:24 pm

mine is the 3.2 DiD and is only 3200k old and I tried 1 tank then miss 1 and then back in next tank it and it is a bit quieter and seems to run a bit better with cheap castrol 2 stroke oil. I am keen to keep using it to keep the motor clean.

Bill
liamb

Postby sierra on Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:50 pm

daryn wrote:I have given it a go, I put 200ml when I filled and have driven to Sydney, 150km, go back tomorrow.
Maybe not enough, it was a spur of a moment thing at the servo so I could not remember how much and played safe.
So, I am 3,but have no feedback yet, I m still waiting for comment on my above purge product post.

I read up on the purge process Daryn and if my motor had lots of km on the clock I might be tempted.
However, it's only done 7,400km and it's much easier to add some 2T when I fill up which will, hopefully, keep the system clean, lubricated and quiet so it never needs a purge. That's the theory but it's early days. From others trying this, the crunch seems to come when you don't bother anymore and you get the old noisy engine back again as the inspiration to throw some 2T in again.
:? :)
sierra

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems