Fuel additives - DiD & V6's

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Fuel additives - DiD & V6's

Postby Install on Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:32 pm

Jitsukablue wrote:http://www.johnfjensen.com/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf

Yes damn good read, No Soya Bio here in NZ yet though :cry:

Last tank tipped in the 2T (1st time used) and with identical running to any previous tanks got a 12% increase in KM's :D
Can't honestly say it's any more powerful or quieter than before but pleased with the extra KM's
Doing it again on this tank to see if i get a similar result; my usual fill is BP
If you're in control, you ain't going fast enuff!
Install

Postby sierra on Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:11 pm

Install wrote:Last tank tipped in the 2T (1st time used) and with identical running to any previous tanks got a 12% increase in KM's :D
Can't honestly say it's any more powerful or quieter than before but pleased with the extra KM's
Doing it again on this tank to see if i get a similar result; my usual fill is BP

Good result!!!!
:o 8-)
sierra

Postby John 1 on Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:57 pm

I've used it for just on a 1000km and find it's made a difference in pulling power and a bit quiter and a very slight improvement in fuel usage now get approx 8.3km per ltr against 8km per ltr. Castrol 2T cost's $3 for a litre in Thailand.I use it in a Strada 2800cc 4door 4wd 120,000km on the clock driving average 110km per hour that's for the 1000km.
John 1

Postby sierra on Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:43 pm

John 1 wrote:I've used it for just on a 1000km and find it's made a difference in pulling power and a bit quiter and a very slight improvement in fuel usage now get approx 8.3km per ltr against 8km per ltr. Castrol 2T cost's $3 for a litre in Thailand.I use it in a Strada 2800cc 4door 4wd 120,000km on the clock driving average 110km per hour that's for the 1000km.

Everything's cheap in Thailand!
Pulls better, quieter and 3.6% better fuel economy is convincing. The big one is longer engine life, especially the injection system but time will have to prove that one.
:D
sierra

Postby heyyu on Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:14 pm

an engineer told me to shove a tank of e10 through every now and then,does the same as injector cleaner.thats for petrols of course
heyyu

Postby helicoptercow on Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:09 am

its been 18months since this was last mentioned, how's everyone going with their additives??

"it's so much easier to apologise rather than ask for permission" - gutters

The Cattle Truck

"Wool-Wheat" = Cotton. Warm like wool, but grows like wheat

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:48 am

I'm still using the Valvoline Racing 2 stroke oil from Super Cheap, $9.95 for the handy 1L container with the measuring window for dispensing.
Almost 30,000km and fuel consumption is still the same at about 8.1L/100km.
If I fill up with 500km on the trip I know to add 200mls before filling up with the expected 40L for 200/1

At this stage there have been no negatives and I would find it difficult not to add it for peace of mind.
Oil consumption is zero. I fiited a Provent 200 about 8 months ago to replace the other crappy catch can.
The oil has only just started to run down the drain tube so the blow by is very low.
Hopefully the fuel pump etc has benefitted from the extra lube in the low sulphur diesel which was the main incentive for me. The rest, quieter, less fuel, has been a bonus. 8-)
sierra

Postby helicoptercow on Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:41 pm

so whats the story, assists in more efficient fuel burn and lubs engine parts??

how does it differ from an injector cleaner? or is that just it, injector cleaner cleans the injectors while the 2T oil assists in combustion and therefore should use a cleaner from time to time, but overall use the 2T each refill??

"it's so much easier to apologise rather than ask for permission" - gutters

The Cattle Truck

"Wool-Wheat" = Cotton. Warm like wool, but grows like wheat

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:41 pm

[quote="helicoptercow"]so whats the story, assists in more efficient fuel burn and lubs engine parts??

how does it differ from an injector cleaner? or is that just it, injector cleaner cleans the injectors while the 2T oil assists in combustion and therefore should use a cleaner from time to time, but overall use the 2T each refill??[/quote]

Might be best to think what it's designed for?
It's the only source of lubrication in most 2 stroke engines. I think first compression in the crankcase tends to condense the oil from the fuel/air mix to lubricate the crank, bore etc. Then it gets burnt in the combustion.

That's at about 50/1 while we're only using 1/4 of that at 200/1

We know it's designed to be mixed with petrol and I'm sure I've seen somewhere that it also blends with diesel.
Hopefully it's lubrication properties will compensate for the lack of sulphur in our diesel as the fuel goes through the pump and injectors. I don't think it would clean them.
In the combustion chamber it should lubricate the cylinders and burn very efficiently and cleanly.

So I would still use injector cleaner when it seems like a good idea but use the 2T all the time.
There must be quite a few of us using it and there have been no adverse reports yet.

I've got one of those Mitsubishi fuel system tonics that's going in next fill up and I'll give the 2T a miss for that tank.
sierra

Postby Longranger1 on Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:50 pm

Thanks to all you folk for putting me on to this. I've found the benefits as previously described.

I have used diesel for parts washing - oil certainly dissolves in it. No worries with mixing.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby paddstar69 on Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:23 pm

Hi All,
I have been following this post and done some looking into fuel additives. Some of you may have heard of PIB's - polyisobutelyne. Here are some links, some of it is heavy reading but there are answers in there somewhere keep lookin :lol:
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Pars ... PN/5906665
http://www.visconusa.com/about-us
Those of you that got out to the Sydney or Melbourne 4x4 shows may have seen this company Cleenergy.
The product is Cleen diesel, I have been using it for about 10,000klm now and there are definite benefits
1. less PM - particulate matter out the back when accelerating
2. power comes on much smoother
3. better fuel economy - about 50klm to the tank 75 ltr tank
4. quieter engine at idle and running - at operating temp.
The link above Viscon is the American company,
http://www.cleenergy.com.au/index.html
I think this website is being serviced at the moment i couldnt get onto it. this is the Oz company
found a link that works http://dlb.id.au/node/2
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
paddstar69
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:36 am

Paddstar, how much does a dose of the stuff cost per tankfull?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby paddstar69 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:20 pm

RHKTriton,
The cost all depends on how much diesel you fill up the tank with because it is mixed at the ratio of 1ml per litre of diesel. The 1 litre botle will set you back $65 to treat 1,000 litres of fuel ( there is a delivery charge depending on where you are as to how much, but i think for memory if you buy 3 or more it is free delivery ). So to answer your question $65/1000=0.065 x fill up(55litre) = $3.57 for that fill up. I think my maths is right there - nightshift does funny things to brain :? :lol:
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
paddstar69
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:16 pm

So if your getting around an extra 50km out of a tank that's about $6 saving in fuel per tank, so you could come out in front about $2 per tank (not counting any shopper dockets, etc).

Roughly.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4ePikanini on Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:28 am

check my thread here regarding 2stroke oil professional testing for lubricity

http://www.pajeroclub.co.za/forum/viewt ... =24&t=2940
4ePikanini

Postby Tryton08 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:59 pm

sorry for dragging up an old thread but are you guy still putting two stroke oil in your tanks and getting good results. I'm particularly interested in the 3.2.
Tryton08

Postby mad992 on Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:19 am

Tryton08 wrote:sorry for dragging up an old thread but are you guy still putting two stroke oil in your tanks and getting good results. I'm particularly interested in the 3.2.

yes iam randomly ,i feel the cost is too much just adds up over time,but yes i still put 300ml in sometimes when i fill her up ;)
mad992

Postby burgerings on Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:09 pm

Hi All,
I've been using Pro-Ma DT5 Plus (for diesel fuel)because of the lubrication benefits but I'm not convinced about the surfactants breaking any water down and passing it through the engine :? .
Here's a link that explains:
http://promaproducts.blogspot.com.au/20 ... water.html

I have used Castrol Active 2T but would prefer the DT5 + because it has other "goodies" included, they are both around the same price but which is better?

Ie. 1 Litre DT5 Plus $44.75 Delivered Treats 1000 litres as opposed to
5 litres of Castrol Active 2T treats 1000 litres $42.88

http://www.lubeandfueladditives.com/die ... butor.html

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/search ... look.y=-45
burgerings

Previous

Return to Fuel Systems