Caltex Vortex Premium Diesel

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Caltex Vortex Premium Diesel

Postby daryn on Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:21 am

This went in to my Triton today for the first time.

Further info: http://www.caltex.com.au/products_oil_detail.asp?id=278

From the website:
Caltex Vortex Premium Diesel has been specially formulated to clean your car’s fuel system while you drive.

Over time, performance robbing deposits build up on fuel injectors due to engine heat.

The build up of deposits happens slowly so you may not notice the performance of your engine decreasing.

Deposits reduce combustion efficiency, which leads to power loss, slower acceleration, increased fuel consumption and higher exhaust emissions.

By removing these deposits, Vortex Premium Diesel helps restore lost power and economy.

A critical area of the engine where deposits can form is the fuel injector tip.

The picture shows the effect deposits can have on fuel spray pattern. For optimum performance of your car, the fuel should be delivered as a fine spray.

Dirty Injector
Click to view larger picture
Uneven distribution of fuel droplets

Clean Injector
Click to view larger picture
Even spray pattern of fine droplets

Caltex Vortex Premium Diesel looks after your car by removing injector tip deposits. This ensures a better quality fuel spray, allowing the fuel to burn more efficiently and completely.

You’ll use less fuel and that’s good for you and good for the environment.

With its excellent cleaning ability, Vortex Premium Diesel helps restore engine power output, acceleration and smoothness.

Caltex Vortex Premium Diesel is designed with new common rail diesel technology in mind and is ideal for the most advanced turbo-diesel engines.

Caltex Vortex Premium Diesel, is designed to make filling up a cleaner more enhanced experience.

Caltex Vortex Premium Diesel contains an anti-foam agent that significantly reduces the risk of splashing and reduces the odour that can sometimes be left on your hands when filling.

Caltex Vortex Premium Diesel it’s refined performance for everyone.
Last edited by daryn on Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Re: Caltex Vortex Premium Diesel

Postby sierra on Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:39 am

It would be great to know the cetane number for this brew.
If they had raised it surely they would have mentioned the fact? I read somewhere that Caltex is at the 46 lower limit and still suspect the Vortex is the same stuff plus the additives they mention. The trial with 1/2 a tank of Vortex recently suggested the local standard BP is higher cetane because it got a bit noisy when cold, even with 2T in it.
Maybe it's just Perth and we get good stuff from the local BP refinery and Caltex sources theirs elsewhere?
Maybe it's all in my imagination?
:lol:
sierra

Postby Jim on Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:13 pm

SAFF/Enffue in SA used to sell a "premium diesel" too. All they did was blend normal diesel with biodiesel at 10% in winter and 20% in summer. claimed it raised the cetane number and reduced foaming (sorry can't remember the cetane no.) so maybe caltex are selling a B5 or similar biodiesel blend.
Jim

Postby sierra on Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:14 pm

Surely if it was biodiesel they would have to say to cover compatibility issues?
That reminds me that good quality vegetable biodiesel only needs to be added at 2%, same as 2T, to get even better results according to those tests.
Does anyone know where we can buy 20L in WA?
sierra

Postby mad992 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:24 am

im going driving to the gold coast today and im gunna fill up down there with this brew so i hope i will notice a difference if i dont wont be buying it again :? does any 1 know if its biodiesel or just like bp dinosaur fuel with some additives to stop foaming 8-)
mad992

Postby broke on Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:49 am

I recently used this for 1 tank full and to be honest I didn't like it!

Granted I run a different engine to you fellas but I found it to put out a much more prominent rougher sound- particularly at low revs and in cool mornings. I also didn't notice any better fuel economy and if anything, I reckon I got about 30 km less to the tank.

Just thought that I would throw it out there! :?

Daniel
broke

Postby sierra on Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:19 am

broke wrote:I recently used this for 1 tank full and to be honest I didn't like it!
Granted I run a different engine to you fellas but I found it to put out a much more prominent rougher sound- particularly at low revs and in cool mornings. I also didn't notice any better fuel economy and if anything, I reckon I got about 30 km less to the tank.
Just thought that I would throw it out there! :?
Daniel

Exactly what I found and luckily only half a tank got added. I'm convinced it's the same old minimum grade 46 cetane they had before with a couple of additives.
I couldn't wait to dilute it down with standard BP and will be even happier when BP Ultimate comes back to the servos in Perth.
sierra

Postby mad992 on Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:29 pm

ok thats interesting gents i honestly didnt notice anything either so will be going back to bp as i believe its a better fuel and i know u say put more than 1 tank thru but at 132 per litre, ill stick with bp at 122, and pocket the 10 cents per liter 8-)
mad992

Postby daryn on Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:38 pm

I have found no reason to put this Vortex back in at all, but at least I only paid 1.22 in Newcastle, where I got it from, back to normal Caltex for me.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby daryn on Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:40 pm

For the BP U guys:

Ultimate Diesel Availability
Unfortunately, BP Ultimate Diesel is currently unavailable due to an ongoing issue at our supply terminals. We expect it will be some weeks before we are able to resume normal supply of our premium diesel.

In the interim, some BP sites which normally stock premium diesel will supply regular BP diesel fuel which can be safely substituted for BP Ultimate Diesel. This means that although the detail on your receipt might indicate you have purchased premium diesel, all diesel sold through affected stores will be BP’s regular diesel until normal supply resumes.

No other products are affected.

It may help if you contact your local BP service station ahead of time, to check availability of your preferred fuel.

For a list of all BP service stations and their contact details, please see the site locator.

We apologise for the inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your continued patience and support.

We look forward to returning to normal as soon as possible.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Return to Fuel Systems