P0089 Suction Control Valve Stuck..

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Postby GLX-R Alex on Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:40 pm

I had an issue today.. Was racing onto the M7 and i got a code P0089 Suction control valve stuck...Black smoke belching etc.

I unplugged the Chip it and cleared the fault code. All seems normal and no smoke.

Then i plugged everything back in as i had it and the function is all back to normal, No smoke and full power again.

Whats the go with this "Suction control valve" and who has had trouble with it. Has anyone had one replaced before
GLX-R Alex

Postby mattz on Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:15 pm

I've had one replaced under warranty.
Don't know what it does but they did when they were replacing the manifold.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby gregned on Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:26 pm

SCV controls fuel pressure
Very common problem
Search SCV there's a shit load of info on this site
Hills maketh the man
Why do you have to ride today? Because getting fat never takes holidays
gregned

Re: P0089 Suction Control Valve Stuck..

Postby GLX-R Alex on Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:47 pm

Thanks people. I've been on 2 test drives after resetting everything and it's all fine.

After reading all of the information here this is my evaluation:
My truck is running a chip it module which trick the ecu pressure transducer to make it run higher fuel rail pressure. The suction control solenoid controls the regulation of the rail pressure. As the suction control valve ( proportional solenoid ) is working much harder to maintain the increased rail pressures during thrashing etc it malfunctioned. Caused from constantly operating above normal duty cycle.

This won't occur during normal driving because the rail pressures are much lower than when thrashing. It will be operating in it's normal duty cycle.

If this problem persists it will be getting a mention for replacement at next service.

Is this the little rat bag on the pump. ?

Click to view larger picture
Last edited by GLX-R Alex on Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GLX-R Alex

Postby variflex on Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:30 pm

My SCV failed not long after fitting the chipit chip, however it would only play up when under light acceleration not thrashing so to speak, I took it to the service dept with the chip still installed and they replaced the SCV under warranty, Now I would reccomend taking the chip out before going to the service dept as the chip did give them grief and held up the repair an extra day
variflex

Postby GLX-R Alex on Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:13 pm

My trucks going in to the dealer tomorrow for a new SCV :D .. Drove it today to Gosford and back stock as a rock.. Sucked ass..

My fault code only comes up at engine idol longer than 1 or 2 mins. Driving is fine.

Should be all good by tomorrow avo i hope. This is my first real issue in 50,000km
GLX-R Alex

Postby patto on Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:21 am

I have had SCV replaced on both of My Tritons.... Both times the stealers advised they had jammed due to the poor quality of Diesel in OZ which is wearing out this unit twice as fast as to what they are seeing else where around the world..
I HATE THE GREENS!!!!!
patto

Postby GLX-R Alex on Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:32 pm

All good now.SCV replaced under warranty. Very good service actually from Castle Hill Mitsubichi. Truck stuffed up yesterday, All fixed today.

One thing I did notice though is the new item is a different part number to the one replaced.
Original part number: 0360 05L11 103690
New part fitted today : 0360 02N12 403410

Hope the new part is either a better or up rated unit.

Re fit all my goodies tomorrow morning. Back to 460ish NM and 20psi. The stock power is gay az.
GLX-R Alex

Postby Tony on Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:51 pm

Is updated unit ;) I find it wont allow the fuel flow of original when pushed so power may be down. Me thinks the engineers have allowed for the fact people use higher rail pressure some how :roll: Not just the fuel ;) They get very, very hot! Fuel return flow is the only form of cooling.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:02 pm

GLX-R Alex wrote:All good now.SCV replaced under warranty. Very good service actually from Castle Hill Mitsubichi. Truck stuffed up yesterday, All fixed today.

One thing I did notice though is the new item is a different part number to the one replaced.
Original part number: 0360 05L11 103690
New part fitted today : 0360 02N12 403410

Hope the new part is either a better or up rated unit.

Re fit all my goodies tomorrow morning. Back to 460ish NM and 20psi. The stock power is gay az.

Nice Alex :D

The fuel issue is a major issue, do what I have done and fit a 2 micron filter to counter it...

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8435&start=25#p182298
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:31 am

Well after studdying the Denzo pump manual I have posted in another thread in this section I have a few things to note.

- The SCV on the triton is a normally open type.
- The PWM current applied at idol is the maximum and is to close the valve needle for idol rail pressure.
- Therfore for higher rail pressure requested when flooring the throttle the SCV solenoid is receiving lower current and less load.
- This is why my truck would only malfunction at idol and driving was normal. I proved this on Thursday by driving 200km perfectly. Whenever I Idoled for more than 1 min it would chuck a SCV code.

So I can come to the conclusion that chips and modules that modify the rail pressure transducer signal so the ecu runs higher rail pressures for more power actually have no affect on the SCV solenoids life. there may be a reduced life of the feed pump or main piston pumps but the SCV valve is mearly a pilot solenoid control for the supply pumps inlet quantity. It is not feeling any of the outlets load.

The conditions that would effect a SCV solenoids life and operation are.
- Fuel contamination causing sticking,Jamming and wear of the small spool and needle. It is just a hydraulic cartridge.
- long idol times actually equal more heat generated from the coil from higher applied current.

If you believe Max power has anything to do with SCV coil your mistaken. Maximum inlet fuel supply to the pump through the SCV is low current. It's spring returned to max position normally open.

The conditions that affect
GLX-R Alex

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:42 am

Click to view larger picture
GLX-R Alex

Postby snowman on Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:08 am

good one Alex.

do you think the 2T (two stroke oil) may have benefit for this valve?

we should get this thread added to the directory mods.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:09 am

100% spot on alex. Denso has aa good set up in this regard.

Out of pump manual.

A linear solenoid type valve has been adopted. The ECU controls the duty ratio (the duration in which current is applied to the SCV),
in order to control the quantity of fuel that is supplied to the high-pressure plunger.
Because only the quantity of fuel that is required for achieving the target rail pressure is drawn in, the actuating load of the supply
pump decreases.
When current flows to the SCV, variable electromotive force is created in accordance with the duty ratio, moving the cylinder (integrated
with the armature) to the left side, and changing the opening of the fuel passage to regulate the fuel quantity.
With the SCV OFF, the return spring contracts, completely opening the fuel passage and supplying fuel to the plungers. (Full quantity
intake and full quantity discharge = normally open)
When the SCV is ON, the force of the return spring moves the cylinder to the left, closing the fuel passage (normally open).
By turning the SCV ON/OFF, fuel is supplied in an amount corresponding to the actuation duty ratio, and fuel is discharged by the plungers.

I'm still down on power since new SCV in the MN for some reason though..... They tried to tell me has a stronger return and solenoid etc. Was also told by denso increasing pump pressure worked against the SCV making it bottom out? What a load of rot! Not possible, like Bosh, only controls inlet flow and HP pump has it's own valves.

Still gets very hot in there I can assure you! Why some now run fuel coolers.

Cheers T
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:50 am

Yep. The SCV is really only a pilot valve for the quantity control. No load from output.
GLX-R Alex

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:35 am

Before my truck went in for a new SCV I had the chipit fitted and running 21-22 psi boost with no fault codes for over boost. After the new valve and presumably a reflash of the ecu it only allows me a maximum of 20 psi before chucking the code.

Maybe there is a revised maximum boost limit.
GLX-R Alex

Postby Tony on Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:01 pm

Yep, 20psi is the thresh hold, can you do the MAP interceptor mod to cap it?

Otherwise try bleeding a bit off before the MAP sensor with a boost controller (You'll need to tee another boost gauge in to do this accurately). So the MAP only sees up to 20 psi. 8-)
The MAF and angle sensor will look after fuelling here on. Worth a try. ;)

Cheers T
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:04 pm

I'm sure I need to hook up the map sensor connection to clip the signal.
GLX-R Alex

Postby hvac guy on Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:18 pm

has anyone noticed with the new scv the car drives alot smoother, had mine mine done and the car seems to have a lot more power and doesnt lose power when changing into second gear (mn auto) :D

finally drives like it should, even from new it drove like a dog this is its second scv in 30k
i hope this is the last problem now.
............. will see :? :? :?
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby irwazza on Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:20 pm

I'll let you know when my scv arrives. Only been 4 weeks. Awsome service on Mitsubishi's part. :-S
irwazza

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:46 pm

Re the heat, I did notice when the new Ranger came out that it had a cooler section in the fuel line at the tank.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Fuel Systems