Carbon build - up its everyone’s problem.

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: Carbon build - up its everyone’s problem.

Postby mudders on Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:46 pm

Longranger1 wrote:Here is a thought... I wonder if the intake manifolds could be internally polished and then pfte (Teflon) coated so crud wouldn't stick to it. Second thoughts that would be harder than other solutions out there.

HPC coating could do the trick , Teflon will burn at 327c I don't know what the temp are in the manifold I assume there up there
mudders

Postby Longranger1 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:45 pm

Unlikely to reach 100 C on the intake so all good. Proper application requires a baking process which may distort the manifold, not sure.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Longranger1 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:46 pm

Unlikely to reach 100 C on the intake so all good. Proper application requires a baking process which may distort the manifold, not sure.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby archer007 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:51 pm

vehicle experiencing same issue 'but' vehicle not covered by new car warranty, vehicle covered by 5 year, mistu, says, must pay, minimum cost $1400, recommend,,,,, :ugeek:
archer007

Postby archer007 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:53 pm

2008 model triton, engine light' on' sluggish, missus talked me into buying diesel, drove past pickerings, townsville, liked it ,cash for it, now, :?:
archer007

Postby hvac guy on Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:08 pm

Huh?
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby timbo on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:05 am

So I think I'm have some carbon issues or possibly some other issues, my intake temp (ultra gauge) is getting up into the 50 deg mark some times even higher and not just on a hot day last night was reasonably cool and same deal. My EGT is getting high too seeing 500 easily. I am running the chipIt at tune 5 now thought it may have been that but no real change, has a blank with 6mm hole and catch can. The intercooler is clean have washed it out a number of times. Bit worried about the high intake temp causing damage. Anybody think this is a major issue??
timbo

Postby dan.batto on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:15 am

timbo wrote:So I think I'm have some carbon issues or possibly some other issues, my intake temp (ultra gauge) is getting up into the 50 deg mark some times even higher and not just on a hot day last night was reasonably cool and same deal. My EGT is getting high too seeing 500 easily. I am running the chipIt at tune 5 now thought it may have been that but no real change, has a blank with 6mm hole and catch can. The intercooler is clean have washed it out a number of times. Bit worried about the high intake temp causing damage. Anybody think this is a major issue??

I'm getting similar issues and my engine temps are higher too! Normally about 78/79, when I added the muddies it jumped to 81. Then after the last trip it often jumps up 90 or higher which it never has done before!
dan.batto

Postby wake jake on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:46 am

dan.batto wrote: I'm getting similar issues and my engine temps are higher too! Normally about 78/79, when I added the muddies it jumped to 81. Then after the last trip it often jumps up 90 or higher which it never has done before!

I only get high temps when freeway driving. Driving back from Sorrento when it was 41-42 the other day I had my engine temp at 90 and in take temp was 85 towards to end of the drive. This also with a chip/blank and 31s. I have got 100C with muddies on :? I spent more time looking at my gauge than driving when it's hot
08 MY09 GLXR
Monster Rides
wake jake

Postby timbo on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:55 am

My engine temps are not bad it hangs around 82 no issue with that was just a little worried about the intake temp
timbo

Postby Speedy70 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:31 am

I jumped in the deep end yesterday and pulled my manifolds off to check for carbon build-up and give them a clean. I started to get a bit of surging around 2000rpm and with 215K on my 08 3.2 and not knowing when the last time the manifolds had been cleaned, thought I might as well start there. Mine where not as bad as ERA's but still pretty clogged up, especially around the butterfly valves. I only undertook this job because off the detailed guide in this thread (thanks ERA) and reckon most people with a bit of mechanical knowledge could carry this out themselves by following the steps. Job was not very difficult but took me around 7 hours to complete. Cleaning out the carbon is one hell of a messy job which took up about 2 hours. I didn't have any problems re-installing the bottom manifold, just nipped up the first bottom nut first and the rest went on easy. Took it for a drive and no more surging, it also seems to rev a lot cleaner through to red line. I also changed my air filter and cleaned the MAF sensor, so am not 100% sure that the manifolds were the cause of the surging but they can be ruled out now if it happens again. All i can say is if you plan to do this job make sure you allow yourself plenty of time. Cheers :D
Speedy70
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Magoo on Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:58 am

Not sure of my degrees but temp guage always sits half way ???? is that about normal
Thanks Magoo
Magoo

Postby fridgie on Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:13 am

Magoo wrote:Not sure of my degrees but temp guage always sits half way ???? is that about normal
Thanks Magoo

Mine will sit around halfway but the temp can and has varied from 78deg through to 95deg without moving the needle ;-)

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Tapatalk HD
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby cryonicjason on Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:03 am

fridgie wrote:
Magoo wrote:Not sure of my degrees but temp guage always sits half way ???? is that about normal
Thanks Magoo

Mine will sit around halfway but the temp can and has varied from 78deg through to 95deg without moving the needle ;-)

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Tapatalk HD

0.O

I think its time i got one of those bluetooth OBII thingos and unretire my htc desire. I did read once that car temp gauges are completely unreliable and your comment confirms it.
cryonicjason
Platinum Subscriber

Postby alan_blue on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:01 pm

What is said Bluetooth device?
alan_blue

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:10 am

A Bluetooth OBD dongle. Receives OBD data from the vehicle and transmits it to your phone via Bluetooth.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby koshari on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:39 pm

Speedy70 wrote: Cleaning out the carbon is one hell of a messy job which took up about 2 hours. I didn't have any problems re-installing the bottom manifold, just nipped up the first bottom nut first and the rest went on easy. Took it for a drive and no more surging,

just had a call from my mechanic, the ML is in for it will be the last big service (180k) before its lease expires and i buy it outright,

he said the manifold was pretty choked so i gave him the OK to have it cleaned. i figured while i are getting my last subsidised service thanks to the Nov lease i may as well get all i can done rather than waiting for next time when the service is unsubsidised OR doing it myself!

should still leave enough money in the account to get 4 new tires and a new windscreen before settling.

now with the intermittant map sensor problems sorted i think the blanking plate will be going back in for sure.
koshari

Postby lgd on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:32 am

Do any of the sensors read by scanguage or ultragauge give any indication of carbon buildup? if so what sort of readings are we looking for?
I used to be uncertain but lately I'm not so sure.
lgd

Postby DocBassett on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:07 pm

koshari wrote:
Speedy70 wrote: Cleaning out the carbon is one hell of a messy job which took up about 2 hours. I didn't have any problems re-installing the bottom manifold, just nipped up the first bottom nut first and the rest went on easy. Took it for a drive and no more surging,

just had a call from my mechanic, the ML is in for it will be the last big service (180k) before its lease expires and i buy it outright,

he said the manifold was pretty choked so i gave him the OK to have it cleaned. i figured while i are getting my last subsidised service thanks to the Nov lease i may as well get all i can done rather than waiting for next time when the service is unsubsidised OR doing it myself!

should still leave enough money in the account to get 4 new tires and a new windscreen before settling.

now with the intermittant map sensor problems sorted i think the blanking plate will be going back in for sure.

what was the cost of having it cleaned out???? My ML had its manifolds replaced or cleaned or had the EGR system replaced or what ever it is that they do to "resolve" the issue about 10 months ago..... I am now suspecting i'm getting clogged up again as she isn't running as smoothly so might get my mechanic to suss it out next service. Jut don't want to to be too pricey!
DocBassett

Postby odie602r on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:46 pm

From what I understand it shouldn't be clogged up to the point of causing difficulties running in 10 months - that takes years and 10s of 1000s of KMs. Suspect it may be something else
the truth will set you free

My build thread:
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=11704
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DocBassett on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:52 pm

odie602r wrote:From what I understand it shouldn't be clogged up to the point of causing difficulties running in 10 months - that takes years and 10s of 1000s of KMs. Suspect it may be something else

That scares me!..... but what else????
DocBassett

Postby Froggy on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:54 pm

The SCV is a common cause of similar symptoms. Causes fuel rail pressure to fluctuate. Warranty job.
Froggy

Postby DocBassett on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:21 pm

Warranty ran out last year: (
DocBassett

Postby biggibbo on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:58 pm

Mine is an MN and it clogged up in 20,000 km. depends on driving conditions (ie highway at cruise is bad) how much the EGR is opened how quickly the clog up.
biggibbo

Postby koshari on Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:03 pm

DocBassett wrote:what was the cost of having it cleaned out???? My ML had its manifolds replaced or cleaned or had the EGR system replaced or what ever it is that they do to "resolve" the issue about 10 months ago..... I am now suspecting i'm getting clogged up again as she isn't running as smoothly so might get my mechanic to suss it out next service. Jut don't want to to be too pricey!

the bill hasnt cleared the lease firm yet so i dont know what the total was, the car did have the 180k service which is a biggie so i will only see the total when the invoice gets sent to the lease firm.
koshari

PreviousNext

Return to Warranty/Recalls