how to drain all the oil ?

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

how to drain all the oil ?

Postby notirto8 on Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:29 pm

got a triton 4x4 diesel 3lt the book says it takes 9.3lt of oil and it does when the dealer did a service on it or that is what they charged me for .when i do it with a new filter i only ever get 8 lts to drain out .could somebody point me in the right direction on how i get that other 1.3lts out of the turbo ,cooler,block?
thanks terry54
notirto8

Re: how to drain all the oil ?

Postby mad992 on Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:51 pm

terry54, iam trying hard to understand this post but iam dumbfounded cause the engine oil that u drain and change is in the engine sump and filter so finding 1300ml of oil in the intercooler just doesnt sound right does it :roll: anyone :?:
mad992

Postby Brett05 on Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:35 pm

mad992 wrote:terry54, iam trying hard to understand this post but iam dumbfounded cause the engine oil that u drain and change is in the engine sump and filter so finding 1300ml of oil in the intercooler just doesnt sound right does it :roll: anyone :?:

i think its a case of where is the missing 1.3 ltrs.

notirto8 wrote:got a triton 4x4 diesel 3lt the book says it takes 9.3lt of oil and it does when the dealer did a service on it or that is what they charged me for .when i do it with a new filter i only ever get 8 lts to drain out .could somebody point me in the right direction on how i get that other 1.3lts out of the turbo ,cooler,block?
thanks terry54

depending on how much is put in there in the first place,
this was discussed in another thread, somewhere on here......a dealer might put in lets say 8 ltrs and this takes the oil level above the bottom mark on the dipstick. Your oil level is in the required spec for the engine/manufacturer. That 9.3 ltrs your looking for, would be more than likely, never been in there if filled by a dealer. Subtract what is in the oil filter, lets say 300ml.......your now looking for 1ltr, and I'd say it was never been in there. Dealer put in 8 to 8.5 and charges you for the full amount. That's $8 profit on that one litre of oil.....multiply that by x amount of services a day, week then year....nice little profit.
So i wouldn't bother chasing something that's more than likely not there
If I pushed a copy of myself off a cliff, because he was swearing. Could I be charged with making an obscene clone fall ?
Link to Centre Bearing Mod viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6394
CAD & PDF files Centre Bearing Mod http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/download/file.php?id=638
Brett05

Postby Homer on Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:24 pm

Also drain it hot so it all comes out and maybe check if it is on a lean towards or away from the drain plug...wouldn't make 1.3Litres difference though I wouldn't think.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Kegsy on Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:36 pm

Just some info...

Every car manufacturer's dipstick is the same as far as markings go. From the low indicator to the full indicator is exactly 1 litre.

So if you're just on the low indicator on the stick, you're 1 litre down from the max capacity of 9.3L.

That should let you know roughly how much oil should come out.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Longranger1 on Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:00 pm

Kind of reminds me of when I took a car to a dealer once for its first service. I get the bill for the lubricants used and there is 9.5l of gear oil claimed to be used. When I queried the amount they said "Yes that is correct".
I said "Let's have look at the owners manual".

"That wont be necessary".

"That's ok but I'll just grab it out of the car".

I grab the owners manual out and there it is 1.3 l for the diff and 2.3l for the gearbox.

"Can you explain how you managed to use 9.5l of gear oil?"

"Ah..... ummm...."

"Let me have a look under the car and see if the gearbox and diff drain bolts have been touched".

I do this and golly there hasn't been anything touched.

Moral of the story: Some dealers will bullshit you to extract every possible dollar out of you... :evil: :evil:
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NitroGLXRin on Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:20 pm

Havent checked with a car, but with motorbikes and jetski I have never ever got out or put back in the exact amount of oil that is stated the engine holds. Will always be old oil left somewhere. With the jetski it says it holds 4ltrs but can only ever get 3ltrs out or back in, but these dont have a sump drain, you have to suck it out the dipstick hole.
NitroGLXRin

Postby Homer on Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:43 pm

NitroGLXRin wrote:Havent checked with a car, but with motorbikes and jetski I have never ever got out or put back in the exact amount of oil that is stated the engine holds. Will always be old oil left somewhere. With the jetski it says it holds 4ltrs but can only ever get 3ltrs out or back in, but these dont have a sump drain, you have to suck it out the dipstick hole.

You'd need a considerable spit bucket :|
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby johno on Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:25 pm

Longranger1 wrote:Moral of the story: Some dealers will bullshit you to extract every possible dollar out of you... :evil: :evil:

I had a similar thing happen years ago on my old hi-lux.
I used to do a lot of off roading in it and I did extra oil changes between services, I could never remember the dates so I used to scratch it into the filter to remind me.
You can guess what was on the bottom of the “new” oil filter after the service!!
I didn’t get charged for that service.

On another note…our young bloke was a ford mechanic with a large city dealer and has told us a few stories about what he was required to do…one that comes to mind was a little old lady with a new car with faulty air conditioning…..Turns out that she just didn’t have the controls in the right spot.
End result, full inspection, air con re-gassed and serviced = $$$$$..... All done while he was at lunch by the service manager after he reported that there was no fault. :roll:

It pays to check just what has been done when you pick up your car after a dealer has “serviced” it.
Cheers Johno
"Ham and eggs... A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig."
johno

Postby mad992 on Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:51 pm

LIKE THEY SAY theres a sucker born every 3 seconds aye :oops:
mad992

Postby Quinny23 on Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:54 pm

I go camping with a lot of the boys from the local dealer.... both Sales and the mechanics... Mines always "looked" after with fixed price servicing... :lol:

Even my warranty jobs are arguably very well in my favour.... (Alternator, 2 front dif seals, Rear brake pads. All from Mud, within the first 20,000klm)
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass, all four essential food groups:
alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

Quinny's Buildup
Quinny's CarPC
Quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny23

Postby NitroGLXRin on Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:14 pm

maybe we should all start going camping with you Quinny23 ;)
NitroGLXRin

Postby mad992 on Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:20 pm

NitroGLXRin wrote:maybe we should all start going camping with you Quinny23 ;)

SETTLE NITRO dont forget he drives that other brand :lol: hes not 1 of us :roll:
mad992

Postby Quinny23 on Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:29 pm

mad992 wrote:

SETTLE NITRO dont forget he drives that other brand :lol: hes not 1 of us :roll:

LOL.... Yeah, Im just on here to get a dose of Normal.... :)
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass, all four essential food groups:
alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

Quinny's Buildup
Quinny's CarPC
Quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny23

Postby mad992 on Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:22 am

Quinny23 wrote:
mad992 wrote:

LOL.... Yeah, Im just on here to get a dose of Normal.... :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
mad992

Return to Servicing